“Great Traditional Pub”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch
York, United Kingdom
“Great Traditional Pub”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

I visit Keswick annually with friends for a break away, and always ensure that we visit this pub for lunch and a few beers. Although many places change by the month, let alone the year, thankfully The Dog And Gun doesn't appear to do so.

The decor is typical Lakeland pub, there is a warm welcome and a good range of real ale on tap, usually biased towards local microbreweries in Coniston / Hawkshead and Keswick itself. I seem to recall seeing Theakston's Old Peculiar which seems to be a house regular along with another more mainstream offering.

In terms of food, I always favour the house specialty, the Goulash, which I have always found highly satisfying and tasty. The large portion is too much for me, and I am a big eater ! The other meals always look of a similar size and quality so are no doubt worth a try too.

The only problem with this venue is that owing to its popularity you can often struggle to get a seat as many diners tend to linger over a drink or two after a meal.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank YorkieLangham

Cumbria
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brilliant”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Very consistent, friendly staff, good food, and a great atmposhpere ! No complaints.

Visited July 2011
United Kingdom
“Great traditional pub and great value food but now is too doggy:{”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

Have always loved this pub as it is unpretentious and serves good value tasty food. Especially the goulash! But in recent years the dog friendly aspect has just got too much for us . I am not against dogs just allergic to them and thoughtless owners coming in and parking their three retrievers ( yes three!) under my table whilst half way through a meal was just too much! I have to admit I will probably not gamble on eating here again as the risk of sneezing and asthma attacks is now inevitable. They have even gone to the lengths of you being able to buy your dog a meal while you eat!
Perhaps they should consider a doggy free area to allow people like me to continue to enjoy visiting.

• Visited June 2011
Egremont, United Kingdom
“My favourite place in Keswick...”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I live in the local area, about a 40 minute drive away and when in Keswick, often on a Sunday or bank holiday I wont go anywhere else for food.
Lovely small intimate atmosphere. Yes it is hard to get a seat sometimes but it isnt Wetherspoons! And as for the people that dont like dogs, dont go! Im not a big dog lover myself but niether myself or anyone I've been with have ever had a problem with them; they sit quiet and dont bother anyone, in fact I feel it adds to the atmosphere.
The pub always has nice specials and the Goulash and garlic bread is fab. Dont go if your expecting egg and chips as they dont do anything fried, a fact I never noticed as they have such fab hearty food till my friend pointed it out. Wish I could comment more on other resturants in Keswick but I never get past here!

Visited December 2011
“Goulash is overated”
Reviewed December 25, 2011

I understand that people rave about the goulash, I have had it on 2 occasions now and have had very little meat in either one. I shall not be suckered in again.
Also there are too many dogs, I get that people have dogs and wish to take them with them to the pub. However I don't like dogs and see why I should have to share my space with them. They are hardy enough to be left outside