“Delightful but..........”

Ranked #15 of 139 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: Pizza, Wine Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located on a bustling pedestrian street in the heart of Keswick, close to the busy market square and shores of Lake Derwentwater, Cafe Bar 26 is a relaxed Mediterranean style cafe bistro by day and a vibrant wine and cocktail bar in the evening with a unique atmosphere. Feeling peckish? We serve brunch and lunch Tuesday - Sunday 10.00am - 4pm and tapas 4pm - 9.00pm. We also serve great illy coffee, interesting wines, continental beers, cocktails and champagne all day long! Perfect after a day on the fells or simply a stroll around the shops. There is also open mic night every Wednesday from 9.00pm. We are closed Mondays.
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Have visited on several occasions from the North East. Lovely buzzy atmosphere but we think that they have to get their act together with their food in the evenings. We went in a few weeks ago after seeing a board outside advertising pizzas and tapas. We asked for pizzas but were told they were not available. Told the barman that their board said that they were available and he told us this must explain why several people had been asking for them!!

We went in again this week after seeing the same board outside and overheard another couple asking for pizzas. They were told that pizzas were not available and promptly left.

Having said all this Bar 26 is probably the best place to go for a drink in Keswick and the staff are lovely. Please sort this out!!!!

1  Thank Geordies2_13
There are newer reviews for Cafe Bar 26

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Had a great spread of tapas which we enjoyed as a family.
Adequate range of wines and beers, with some interesting cocktails.
Busy friday evening and seating became a premium. We were in early and this would be a serious recommendation if you intend to eat.
Have not stayed; location good but the leasurely breakfast timings may not suit all.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

We ate here twice during our Keswick stay and were not disappointed on either night. Sunday is Quiz night also and what fun that was taken by a happy chappy. Thoroughly recommend the steaks and fishcake meals

Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

We are big fans of Bar 26. (Using their wifi to write this) however we decided to stay and eat with their 'mix and Mash' menu, As it was cold outside and to be very honest couldn't be bothered to go and fight for a table in good local restaurants and pubs . I ordered fishcakes and my husband ordered lamb burger. Not only do you get the main course but you get to pick two side portions on top of chips wedges etc. excellent value. But not only that it tasted good too. All, with an alcoholic or non alcoholic drink for 9.95.
I like bar 26 even more now!

1  Thank Cooky6699
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I visited Cafe Bar 26 recently having been for a drink on a couple of occasions there over the last few years, This time I decided to try some of their tapa's, I selected 5 from the menu and also ordered a bottle of wine and some water to accompany.
The food came and the wine was also quite nice,all the staff were very friendly but..........
and here is the niggle, as nice as the wine was there was only a selection of about 3 or 4 reds and 3 or 4 whites, I honestly think they are limiting themselves by such a narrow selection of wines and I would have been happy to pay some more money for a nice hermitage or chateauneuf du pape.The other thing that spoilt it a little bit was after eating the tapa's which were all excellent I asked the waitress if they make their own bread which I thought was excellent, she said they didnt and so I asked where did they buy it as I would have gone and bought some, after many questions to other members of staff she came back and said "we just get it from a catering supplier" but the didnt know the name, I thought this was really poor,
the staff should know where each dish is sourced from and be able to tell customers with confidence,
this review is not designed to put people off going to what is one of the nicest establishments in Keswick, it is to hopefully persuade them to raise the bar even higher.I will return.