“good value, quality and service”
Review of Pack Horse Inn

Pack Horse Inn
Ranked #30 of 153 Restaurants in Keswick
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Had a lovely typical pub style meal. Had the ribs starter and then the burger off the specials board. Both were well cooked and we're good quality ingredients. Also very well presented by courteous staff. A good choice of beers too.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We arrived in Keswick for a weeks break, on a rainy Saturday afternoon. We'd stayed in Ullswater in September & enjoyed ourselves so much, but decided on Keswick this time, to be at the centre of the buzzing little town. By early evening we were feeling hungry & after reading the other reviews, decided to take the short stroll down to the Packhorse. We're so glad we did. The food was delicious. Well cooked & plenty of it. There was a good selection & some nice choices on the specials board. The service was very friendly & the pub was busy with a variety of people & dogs. I'm sure we'll be going back during the week & I may do another review to compare visits. So far, nothing negative to say. Warm friendly atmosphere & excellent value for money.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

...and air conditioning! We were in Keswick during heat wave. Used to A/C, the heat was difficult to handle, and we actually chose this restaurant solely because they advertised having A/C. We ended up eating there twice. I'm a vegetarian and the selections for me were delicious, and my husband stated that the salmon was the best he had ever had. In fact, he ordered it both times we were there. Even the music was good. Highly recommended.

1  Thank eliz375
Reviewed November 1, 2013

My Chicken, Ham Hock and Leek Pie with chips and vegetables was the best pub meal I've had in the Lake District.
The menu's description of the pie as 'home-made' was spot on, the vegetables plentiful and proper chips!
All washed down with a couple of pints of Hartley's Cumbria Way, brewed by Robinsons - a full bodied, fruity beer at 4.1 abv (from memory)

1  Thank Christopher P
Reviewed October 29, 2013

We were in Keswick to pick up an EBay win, I know a 200 mile round trip, but bargains are bargains. Anyway back to the Pack Horse, after circling the town a couple of times, God knows what parking is like in season, we found a gap behind Fitz Park!

Had a couple of hours to kill before picking up, so a walk round town.... Keswick is a bit bigger than I remember, full of Outdoor clothing shops, cafes and charity shops, but quite quaint and traffic free.

Needed to eat, noticed a blackboard outside a pub with the magic words, "Dogs welcome", that'll do, in for a bit of scram. Nice dark interior, typical old pud layout, bar at back and tables scattered around, found a quite corner and moved the dogs, Max the Scotty and Millie the Westie in.

Quick perusal of menus, I go for the homemade burger, chips and salad from the specials board, Gail for the Cumberland Sausage on a Pannini, glass of house red and a pint of beer (tell you what is was when I remember, but it was a light porter, ruby coloured and with a slight fruit note... very nice too) The red was pretty good, full bodied and fruity, a pretty good house wine.

Both enjoyed our meals, burger a 'proper'one, not a quick defrost job, real meat, nice and rough beef. Salad OK, and chops I'm afraid, cooked from frozen, but OK. Paninni, the sausage was silced, but a pretty good Cumberland (after all that's where we were)

All enjoyed, came to 23 ukpds, good value, plus they let dogs in!

1  Thank Geepster