“Overpriced low quality meals.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pack Horse Inn

Pack Horse Inn
Ranked #46 of 126 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Overpriced low quality meals.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2011

Was delighted to see beef Wellington on the menu but that was the last of the positives. Clearly wasn't fillet steak used for the meal and the chips looked like frozen variety. Highly disappointing experience with Couple of friendly bar maids surrounded by incompetence.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NTVincent

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Terrible, our worst eating experience for many many years”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2011

We were a party of six, booked in for 7:30pm on a Friday evening. There were quite a number of other parties waiting for their food and it took about 40 minutes for our starters to arrive, which was actually quite nice. In the meantime, the other parties got fed up of waiting (or rather unfed) and walked out. There was another very long wait for our main courses to arrive and we waited, waited and waited. It was getting to about 9:30pm and it still hadn't arrived. One of our party approached the kitchen and asked the person when the food was likely to arrive. He said in response "What is your problem?". In the meantime a grim-faced, angry looking woman from downstairs kept going in and coming out. The poor waiter who tried to placate us did his best and was very apologetic and tried to get us free drinks. Eventually, it was too much for us to bear and like the other parties, we had no choice but to walk out en-masse not even paying for what we had. The waiter, bless him, said it was ok. So we all piled into the Old Keswickian for Fish and Chips which was an huge relief.

When a place like this, situated in the heart of Keswick, one of the most popular towns in the Lakes, receives bookings at a specified time, at the beginning of the season, plus, when there is already a Mountain Festival in progress, the management MUST ensure that there are enough staff, especially in the Kitchen, to cope with this demand. If a place does not bother about staff shortages because they are trying to save a few quid over wanting to keep customers happy, then I am afraid that business will not survive for long. I should not have had to write such a review like this but on behalf of our group who were in Keswick for that weekend, I have no choice.

• Visited May 2011
Cranleigh, United Kingdom
“Typical pub Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

We ate here on Sunday. We wanted a pub that did a typical Sunday roast and we found this one. I was a little put off by previous comments but thought that we would give it a go. All the other pubs either didn't offer a Sunday roast or were gastro-pubs.

Our main meal was roast leg of lamb and my husband followed it up with sticky toffee pudding and I with a rhubarb and lime pie.

Our main meals were served hot and were pleasant to eat. The desserts were delicious.

The service was good and it made for a meal in a typical pub.

• Visited May 2011
3 Thank Jacqui999
Bristol, United Kingdom
“No need for a sentence, one word will do..... "WOW"!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2011

Arrived for a weekend with the family and dog, found the packhorse located in a lovely courtyard. On arrival we were greeted by a lovely girl behind the bar, with a beautiful smile. ( Overheard her being called "George". We asked if it was OK to bring the dog inside, she told us "it was fine, just not upstairs", which was fine, he made himself very comfortable in front of the fire.
George, took our large drinks order with ease, and even brought over my wife's "winter warmer" Baileys latte, which she described as " Delicious". I Had to try it....... and it was! George brought us the menu, which was very extensive, with some local dishes available.. I Had my heart set on the roast I had seen advertised on the specials board outside... so my mind was made. My wife choose the Mushroom Tagliatelle which was amazing. My roast was perfect, and the little un enjoyed his kids meal fish cake. Overall the food was perfect, and great value. The service was Brilliant, "George" Was excellent, despite her being on her own, she still attended to us with no fuss and always kept that first smile!...... Will be definitely returning.

• Visited November 2010
3 Thank Foody_Phil
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Don't bother”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2010

We have been to the Packhorse on several occasions in past years and have thoroughly enjoyed a special meal. I was a bit doubtful about visiting during our recent holiday as some websites had The Packhorse as closed. However, I telephone the week before and spoke to someone at the Packhorse who assured me they were "open". We arrived at the Packhorse on the evening of Tuesday 15th June 2010 to find a rope across the stairs leading to the restaurant and it was all in darkness. No-one bothered to find out why we were trying to go to the restaurant and the girl behind the bar had shocking pink hair, "bovver boots" and rings through various appendages which gave the impression of a nightclub bar rather than a pub restaurant. We had had a drink in the pub on the Monday but didn't like the "pink girls" attitude then. We didn't bother to try the Packhourse again during our stay and, unless it changes hands and spruces the place up a bit, will not bother again.