“Not upto the standard of our previous visits!”
Review of Lake Road Inn

Lake Road Inn
Ranked #57 of 130 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Scotland
“Not upto the standard of our previous visits!”
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

We have eaten here many times over the last 20 years and always found the venue warm and welcoming with good food. How things have changed. The decor is looking very run down and needs a freshen up urgently. We were in for a drink several times this week and the place was very quiet. We tried the food on our last night and wished we had not bothered. The quality was poor - and the prices were high (like most pubs in Keswick)

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Kevin000

northumberland
“Should have kept walking....”
Reviewed March 26, 2014 via mobile

This is a dog friendly pub and in Keswick on a cold Saturday night in March we were pleased to find a seat in a warm pub. The beer was good but how anyone could make such a bad job of something so simple as broccoli quiche and chips is beyond me. The quiche had obviously been heated in a microwave and the chips were dry. I guess there was a reason why every other place we looked in was full to overflowing and the Lake Road Inn had seats to spare. This was one time I should have listened to my inner voice and kept walking.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank wanderbear
St.Albans
“Oh dear!”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

With time to kill before the curling started (!?) my buddy and I popped into town to grab a quick drink and a bite to eat. Having never used the Lake Road Inn we thought we'd give it a shot. Beers OK, food odd. When I counjoured the mind picture of a "Hot Beef Sandwich" I saw slices of freshly roasted beef in a roll... be careful what you wish for.
What we got was reheated chopped roast beef slices, which due the cooking processes has turned the meat a old grey colour and devoid of taste, bar the flavour infused by the "bisto" gravy the meat had been reheated in and poured over, served in a cheap soft white sub roll.
Did I complain, no, because that is what the cook must believe defines a hot beef sandwich (all words used in the description were evident in the offering). If you want a quick drink, the Lake Road Inn is fine, if you want a dining experience you'll find better elsewhere.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank grubhound
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“At least it was dry!”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I always try to be positive so here we go.... they let dogs in and it was warmer and dryer than outside in the sleet & snow.

Having got that out of the way here's the other bits.

We visited on a cold wet Thursday in January, Keswick was quiet so we had the choice of virtually any pub. I've had good food here several years ago so suggested to my wife and father in law we give it a try.

We were the only 3 people in the pub and the barman was friendly and efficient but not too cheerful, clearly he didn't want to be rushed off his feet by all 3 customers.
We started with a pint of Unicorn bitter. What a letdown! The head lasted just about long enough to get to the table. I don't have a strong accent but its clear I'm a Northerner and we do like a head on our pints to last a bit.
We then decided to go for some food. The menu was limited but a reasonable selection. I opted for fish & chips. Goodness knows why when we have the UK's best chip shop 1/2 mile from where I live on the coast (officially, its won awards) I set myself up to be disappointed and they didn't fail me. The chips were just warm and I guess were leftovers from the previous day. The fish had what appeared to be a lovely golden crispy batter, Unfortunately under its appealing exterior hid a soggy layer of uncooked batter covering a reasonably sized piece of luke warm fish. I'm sure the poor fish would have been embarrassed. Don't ask about the bullet style peas, no, I said don't ask!
My wife opted for a quiche type thing, sorry I don't understand veggie stuff much. The cold chips were the same as mine but the limp salad and quiche with pastry the texture of cardboard left her picking her way through the meal.
Father in law opted for gammon..... with egg OR pineapple? He opted for both.... that's and extra 20p.
To retain balance to my report the gammon was OK, and the dogs loved the bits that weren't eaten.
We're all normally good eaters and being true Yorkshire folk were brought up to clean our plates (that means eat everything if your not au fait with Yorkshire, sorry au fait sound too pretentious.... familiar.) On this occasion we all left a fair portion of our meal.

When the bar chappie collected our plates he didn't ask if everything was ok or even what was wrong with the meal, I guess he wasn't bothered.

I was pleased I'd had a pasty earlier from the shop across the road.

The decor was very tired but I don't worry about that if the food, drink & service are up to scratch, sorry Lake Road Inn, yours aren't.

I won't be revisiting the pub again in a hurry.

But to finish on a positive..... the dogs were welcome in the pub and they enjoyed the chips!

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank flysplat
Sheffield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“yuk!!!!”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

this pub could be really lovely but the food really lets it down, its great for a drink but the food is the worst I have ever had, we had the fish and it was pure grease and the fish was like slime disgusting, my friend had a pie and the meat was fatty and tasted vile, also listening to how drunk the bar staff got was not very nice either they were talking about how drunk they got and how they were going to get even more drunk that night! what a shame as this pub could be really nice sort your food out!

• Visited December 2013