“Could be better, needs a revamp (still) unfortunately.”
Review of The Puzzling Place

The Puzzling Place
Ranked #19 of 49 things to do in Keswick
More attraction details
Owner description: A unique exhibition based on optical illusion. Witness balls rolling uphill in the antigravity room, visibly grow and shrink in the Ames room and be amazed by our interactive optical illusion exhibits, artwork and sculptures, as well as the hologram gallery!
Reviewed September 18, 2018

I've been a few times here as I live nearby but it just seems to have no money put back into it and maintained. Everything is just getting more worn and tired looking each time I've been. It wouldn't take too much to give everything a coat of paint every so often at the very least. It's only a small space but I'm sure the space could be used a bit more effectively. There could be more interactive illusions, for example the mirror trick that makes it look like your head is on a plate on a table etc, which would give kids something to take part in. As the physically interactive illusions are the better ones. Rather than just lots of holographic pictures taking up one of the rooms. Could switch it up a bit. The place could be so much better, would be a good rainy day activity but just needs a bit more love.

Date of experience: September 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,285)
All reviews
"photo opportunities"
in 16 reviews
"entry fee"

Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

We loved The Puzzling Place as it’s such simple old fashion fun. The building is showing its age and the exhibits too but don’t let it put you off. The entry fee is nominal compared to other places and for what you pay you can’t expect anymore.
There’s some interesting illusions and we had great fun. It’s one of them places that kids won’t forget and our gang have raves about it since our visit. Thank you!

Reviewed September 15, 2018 via mobile

Absolutely loved it! Great for all ages! I thought it was quite small upon entry and wondered if it was worth it but I eat my words!! We spent ages in here messing about! Loved the info displays too, which explained each illusion. You could see a lot of time, effort and love has gone into this place. There are so many ways this could have been made more lucrative business wise (merch, overpriced photos etc) and I’m so glad he hasn’t gone down this route because it’s so unique and not corporate in the slightest. £3.75 entry is an absolute bargain though and I think people would pay even more.

TIP: Check out the public loos in the city centre for some fantastic paintings by the Puzzling Place.

I’m attaching some pics - but we got lots of videos, too!

Reviewed September 12, 2018 via mobile

The puzzling place is a great place for a quick stop off, it’s definitely not gonna take long to go around maybe a couple of hours at a stretch. It’s well laid out, creative in places and nice enough.

For some of the illusions I’d rather be able to place my own camera where they had a video camera and screen to get the full effect on film, the angles have to be perfect for the illusion to work so having a camera and monitor there already prevents that.

Only a couple of exhibits were not available for various reasons, overall very happy.

Date of experience: August 2018