“Excellent food and great value.”
Review of Royal Bengal - CLOSED

Royal Bengal
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Embleton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent food and great value.”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have eaten at the Royal Bengal several times and have found the food to be very good compared to other Indian restaurants we have visited. Even our children love the food and is great value with a 30% off voucher which covers food and drinks.

• Visited January 2013

Belper
“good curry”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

I am surprised at some of the negative reviews. The decor might be rather dated but we really enjoyed the food. The pickle tray was a very good size and the poppadoms fresh and crisp. The jalfrezzi was one of the nicest I've tasted. The service was pleasant and efficient

Visited December 2012
North England
“Always good food at the Royal Bengal”
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We were recommended to go to the Royal Bengal by friends many years ago and we have been visiting it for about a decade on trips to Keswick.

The decor is tired and the room is large and could do with a re-think but the food has always been excellent when we have visited. The discount vouchers which are often given out in town make it even better value.

Other, smarter curry houses exist in Keswick but the food is no better, you seem to just get trendier decor and a bigger bill at the end.

We have never had a bad meal there.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Fish99
uk
“go somewhere else.”
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Most of the reviews are poor and rightly so. I can only agree that the food and service is dismal and the place is grubby. They have people handing out flyers to tourists offering "discounts" which, I suspect, is the only way they get any custom. There are many excellent places in Keswick so no need to go to this one.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank davidgriffiths
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Surprised I never left with Salmonella”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Fancying a "nice" curry my husband and I popped into the Royal Bengal with expectations of a taste of Asia, only to get a taste of half cooked chicken! Well , I say half cooked, let's just say not properly defrosted. You know that horrible chicken taste you get in your mouth when it has not defrosted properly? I left it to one side. I would have expected fresh chicken , but that was probably too much to expect! So little effort went into the food! My husbands chicken was overcooked and looked decidedly greenish. As did he, after consuming the offending article. (It was only an English roast chicken so no spices or spinach involved to dictate colour.) The waiters were disinterested to say the least. Everything seemed an effort and considering we drunk no alcohol, I think £40 for two was a bit steep. There was a lack of atmosphere, the decor was in dire need of a re-furb and the plastic garish flowers on the window sill, only underlined my feelings that I was in a place where no expense had been spared. (Not). Sorry to sound snobbish...but really. Suffice to say, won't be going there again. Raise the bar Royal Bengal !

• Visited October 2012