“Surprised I never left with Salmonella”
Review of Royal Bengal - CLOSED

Royal Bengal
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Fancying a "nice" curry my husband and I popped into the Royal Bengal with expectations of a taste of Asia, only to get a taste of half cooked chicken! Well , I say half cooked, let's just say not properly defrosted. You know that horrible chicken taste you get in your mouth when it has not defrosted properly? I left it to one side. I would have expected fresh chicken , but that was probably too much to expect! So little effort went into the food! My husbands chicken was overcooked and looked decidedly greenish. As did he, after consuming the offending article. (It was only an English roast chicken so no spices or spinach involved to dictate colour.) The waiters were disinterested to say the least. Everything seemed an effort and considering we drunk no alcohol, I think £40 for two was a bit steep. There was a lack of atmosphere, the decor was in dire need of a re-furb and the plastic garish flowers on the window sill, only underlined my feelings that I was in a place where no expense had been spared. (Not). Sorry to sound snobbish...but really. Suffice to say, won't be going there again. Raise the bar Royal Bengal !

3  Thank Gastr0dude

Reviewed October 19, 2012

We had a great curry at The Royal Bengal last night and are really surprised to read the poor reviews. We chose two curries from the 'specials' section on the menu, both were very good and the service was quick too.

I would definitely return here if ever visiting Keswick again and craving some spice.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Arrived here after getting a leaflet in the market. Greeting was an exasperated stare and a grudging ''this way''. Indian Television played loudly in the background and was obviously more interesting to the staff than their customers. Staff sat picking their noses and were scruffy and unprofessional. Food just ok, but the whole experience was intimidating and unpleasant. Will not be returning.

2  Thank GuruGoldberg
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I visit Keswick often, and despite the plethora of good places to eat, I always make time to come here. I've always found the service excellent and friendly. Some reviews here talk about mixed up orders, but I've never had that. The food is average, but for the price it's great - NB their happy hour, 1700-1830. This week I had dall soup (lots of fresh garlic and coriander), veg pathia + cheese naan. My son had aloo chat (big tasty starter) and a vegetable garlic + peas pillau rice, and we also had poppadum and chutney tray, tea and coffee (plus 1 x glass wine, 1 x lemonade) and it came to £21.10. The Happy Hour menu includes anything from the normal menu, including all the chef's specials. We've always come away full and happy.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We went for a meal on Saturday evening. First impressions when we went in was that it was not very clean - dirty chairs and tableclothes. Should have walked out then really. The service was slow but we still remained patient. I ordered Chicken Shahi and was brought Lamb. Even then I thought well I like Lamb but then found a thin 1 inch long object which I think might have been a fish bone (who knows). We called one of the waitors who picked it up and shrugged. No apology. He took my meal away and then a couple of minutes later another waitor literally threw a 2nd meal at me. My cutlery was never returned The accompanying rice was dry and tastless. The Peshwari nan was just plain and hard. The lager was anything but Carlsberg. The waitors all looked scruffy and were rude and unpleasant. We both felt unwell over the next 24hours. Our advice is most definately avoid like the plague.

4  Thank annclare01