“Only for a short stay”

YHA Keswick
New York City, New York
“Only for a short stay”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

As a solo female traveler I always appreciate hostels that offer female-only dorms. That was a big plus for this place, especially when I got to the hostel and found it quite empty, with the only people roaming the halls being myself and a group of four middle aged men. Of course I went to Keswick in January, which I'm assuming is the off season, so I expected it to be a bit quite. It was comforting to eventually meet my other female roommate though, and eventually a family with a couple of babies checked in, so although I never felt super uncomfortable I wouldn't really classify this place as a youth hostel.

The price is a bit high as well, although the central location in Keswick seems to be a very expensive area for people traveling on a budget like myself. I stayed for two nights and that's all I really wanted - especially considering they offer no free wifi and a half hour of wifi/computer use will cost you two pounds (that's a little over $3 USD). I don't need constant access to the internet, but again, as a solo traveler I need to check in with other people from time to time and plan the rest of my trip...wifi is a must for hostels these days!

The kitchen available to guests seemed nice, but I never went to the restaurant as every time I walked past it seemed closed. When I checked into the hostel there was a water leak, and I was told I could stay or find somewhere else. I stayed and the water problem was fixed by the next morning, but I wasn't given much information about the hostel/the area upon check in. I thought this might have just been because of the water situation, but the next day I asked for some info and the people behind the desk didn't offer much (although they were friendly). The cheap washer and dryer is nice, and the facilities seemed clean. I would have rated this place a 4/5 had they offered free wifi!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank SnappleSpice
keswickmanager, Manager at YHA Keswick, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear Snapple spice
thank you for posting your review, i am really sorry you found the hostel uncomfortable on arrival.
We do provide free wifi for all yha members which is presently £7.50 per for under 26s.
The leak was very severe and in the morning we where still clearing up the aftermath so i apologise as our customer service standards were obviously affected. i do hope you stay with yha in the future and consider joining as a member.
Thanks
Damian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
England
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I needed a night in the Keswick area and thought that this Hostel would do nicely.
Facilities are fine, self catering kitchen, lounge, reading room, drying room and laundry, also a good dining room. The dorms are a little cramped size wise, but people in my four person dorm got on fine.
Location is just off central Keswick, with a park and shops, pubs and entertainment all walking distance. Car parking in Station road is unlimited between 6pm and 8am so you can leave your car a short distance away up to 10am in the morning.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your kind review of our hostel.
Nottingham
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed at the start of August. Staff were very friendly and helpful, beds were comfortable, and the kitchen well-equipped. Great for children because of the Lounge (which had games and a TV, as well as lots of room), and the setting. My kids loved that the river was so close, which makes the hostel feel peaceful, and they saw ducks and water voles. There is a good playpark only a short distance away. They were very sad to leave!

The only issues are the difficulties in parking close to the hostel, and (for us at least) difficulty in getting a Wi-Fi signal in the bedroom. Keswick is a great base for exploring the Lakes, and this is a lovely, clean hostel to come back to at the end of a long day.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the main lounge area.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
keswickmanager, Manager at YHA Keswick, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to right such a lovely review,
Really pleased the kids enjoyed it, being by the river does give the hostel a great feel.
you should try some other hostels, a couple the kids will love are whitby and Grinton lodge.
But definately come back and stay here again.
thanks
Droitwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2013

4 climbers stayed on Friday 13th September . We had 2 shared rooms . On arriving by SATNAV we parked at a car park at the back of the hotel , and not realising this actually entered through the back of the hotel . Reception was helpful and good and we relocated our cars onto Station Road been given 2 parking discs . We were on the 2nd floor which can get a bit tiresome . The rooms are not en suite , which hadn't realised and there isn't a bath available at all . The room beds are firm but reasonably comfortable . I got a cup of tea from the restaurant but it took 10 mins as they the staff had problems logging a cup of tea onto the computer and then had to get change ( twice ) from reception to put in their till . The cup of tea was tasty and good value at £1.25 . We had a meal in Keswick as the location of this YHA is brilliant . This YHA needs a makeover , it does the job but needs to move on to appeal to eg Families etc . The breakfast was mediocre at a served £4.99 , and some people may a bigger breakfast for energy for the day . I would try another YHA but I don't think my 3 other climbers would .

Room Tip: Find out about the location of your room and whether it has the right facilities for you or your gro...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank philip s
keswickmanager, General Manager at YHA Keswick, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Phillip,
thank you for your review. Sorry you did not find breakfast good value. I will check thatw e had our full offering on that morning as most people enjoy the breakfasts. Unfortunately we dont have ensuite facilities yet. Some of the recently refurbished hostels do which is a plus.
Thanks
Netanya, Israel
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed in a six bed dormitory, although full I was comfortable. Place is clean, staff is very helpful, location is very close to city center. They have a secure shed for bicycles and you can access with a bicycle from the rear to avoid the steps going into the hostel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
keswickmanager, General Manager at YHA Keswick, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Hi Zhadar,
really happy you enjoyed your stay here at Keswick, the staff really do go the extra mile to help you make the most of a visit to Keswick, hopefully see you again in the future.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 29, 2013

nice staff ,good clean facilities and the best value breakfast in the lake district.
The hostel is on three floors so this can be a bit tiring if you have washing and drying to do but there is a good drying room.
The tv does not work unless you have inside knowledge and the tumble dryer broke down when i was there but the staff are excellent and will find a way round most problems,it was a good nights sleep and other guests were considerate and as i said an outstanding breakfast.
The location is very near the town centre and is picturesque near the river and close to shops and other facilities.
The room however was very hot ,not sure why as the window was open all night.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Robin H
Hi Robin,
will check Tv issues out. Really happy you filled up on our great breakfast. Dryer is being fixed sorry for the inconvenience.
Aalter, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Reviewed August 10, 2013

When we arrived at YHA Keswick, we were soaked from the rain. It was very pleasant to hear there was a drying room we could use to dry our clothes and helmets. The beds were nice, but the toilet not always very clean. The city of Keswick is a lovely place, but don't forget to pay at the parkingspace.. It says 'motorcycles for free', but it isn't..

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Laurien,
thank you for posting a good review for our Hostel. Will keep motorcyclists uptodate on your parking tip from now on.
thanks
Damian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keswick
The Derwentwater Hotel
#3 of 3 in Hawkshead
YHA Helvellyn
YHA Helvellyn
#2 of 3 in Glenridding

Been to YHA Keswick? Share your experiences!