“Spot on Tapas”

The Square Orange Cafe Bar
Ranked #3 of 153 Restaurants in Keswick
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner
Description: Please note that we do not take bookings.
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Out of season Keswick is always much quieter so you have time to linger not only near the well known beauty spots but also when taking refreshment. The Square Orange is one place we return to as its old Belgian/French style bar and informal atmosphere is so different from the usual bland café set up. A genuine warm welcome along with excellent, freshly made tapas plus a good choice of craft beers made this a real treat on a wet day. We were a group of adults but it was good to see folk with babies and dogs too.

1  Thank Maurice B

Reviewed January 21, 2014

This excellent café has just about something for everyone. Having gone in after four for tea and something sweet we were then in a position to have tapas and a long drink. We stuck to our guns and ordered a fresh pot with a proper strainer, gingerbread cake, and a slice of Lemon drizzle.
The place was quiet, the winter monsoon season this year has meant a lull in business but not with the selection of food nor the efficient service, both scoring very highly.
Park behind the Edinburgh Wool Mill for a couple of quid, walk through an alley, turn left and up the hill to the one way system and its a few metres on the right.
A great place that deserves some free publicity.

1  Thank Simon W
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We ended up sampling this place because we had heard that the pizzas were 'to die for'. Well they weren't. The base was much too thin and crispy for our liking, so no we wouldn't repeat the exercise. Maybe the tapas would have been a better bet. It was an interesting place though. A good atmosphere and a bit quirky. Perhaps we are a tad long in the tooth for somewhere like this. What I suppose I'm saying (badly) I'm glad there is such a range of eateries in this market town and there is certainly a place for the square orange cafe bar and it's pleasant staff.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

Having lived in Keswick my whole life I realise that I am running out of places to eat out, however I find that time after time, The Square Orange has never disappointed and is always the perfect choice!
The atmosphere is absolutely brilliant! The second I step through the door, I feel as if I have stepped into a bustling, rustic, little Spanish bistro.
The staff members are always chatty and smiley, as well as it being lovely to see them preparing the beautiful looking food in front of your eyes.
The food is absolutely fantastic - the tapas selection being my favourite with the melted Camembert! All the dishes are full of flavour and look wonderful, as well as the portions being perfect.
I often find myself and a couple of friends in there 2 or 3 times a week! I fully recommend this gorgeous place to everyone and anyone - you will not be disappointed!

1  Thank CumbrianGirl101
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Can only confirm what the other reviewers have said, as soon as you enter there is a comfortable, confident feel to this little Cafe/Bar. Everything we had was just as we liked it, I was even impressed by the toilets! It's worth searching out...slightly uphill 70 yards from the Market area.