“Fab! A wonderful breath of fresh air from all the pubs and tea rooms in the area.”

The Square Orange Cafe Bar
Ranked #2 of 127 Restaurants in Keswick
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Please note that we do not take bookings.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Visiting upon recommendation, we sought out The Square Orange, just off the main square in a little side street.
Originally only going for a quick look and a coffee, we soon decided to stay for wine and tapas, which was just delicious and a refreshing change from vast amount of tea rooms and country pubs on offer.
The decor and layout felt very continental and the choice of pastries, beer and wine cemented the ambience.
Square Orange is ideal for anything from a Cappuccino and a Cannoli, to a Kwak and a baked Camembert, a lush lunch to a cheeky night cap.
I must say that we visited mid/late afternoon so was not its busiest time but would love to revisit one evening, when busier and with some funky jazz music playing, This would make be perfect.
Looking forward to drinking and dining there again, soon hopefully!

Carlisle, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent Square Orange”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

First visit to The Square Orange tonight and greatly impressed with relaxed and sociable staff who provided excellent service and great food. The best part was the atmosphere created by the staff and the relationships with a variety of local people, a good range of ages and everyone interacting and having a good time. We will definitely go back soon it was one of the most enjoyable nights out I've had in 40 years. Well done to bar manager and chef.

“exquisite mint tea !”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

On a day trip to keswick we popped in for lunch. We were warmly greeted by a very friendly staff member and offered a menu and drinks. The food list is limited but well thought out and the list of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks extensive. I highly reccomend the mint tea. I will definitely call back again when I'm next in the lakes

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“funky little cafe bar!”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Our experience of the Square Orange was great! Really lovely!
We popped in on a little evening tour of the village during a one-night impromptu stay in Keswick on the Friday of August Bank Hol weekend. We were aiming for somewhere to eat via a few tasty drinks and spotted this place straight away. Our preferred watering holes tend to be real ale pubs and crafty-beery bars so this looked the business. I have to note to you that I immediately clocked it as predominantly a BAR and CAFE rather than strictly restaurant so that may be worth noting?
There's a really pretty wooden façade to the bar, higgledy little tables all over and it just looks cosy and comfy. There were some absolutely awesome looking handmade pastries in jars on the bar but sadly I abstained (a major regret now I'm home but something to look forward to next time I visit, when I've lost the half stone I put on!). The staff were very young and studenty and really chirpy and friendly. We were served lovely pints of Erdinger, enjoyed the very mixed client group and the bustling early-evening atmosphere and enjoyed watching the place tick.
I think that the fact that they manage to offer some really great looking food is lovely and is more as a bonus to a cute drinking bar. It's a plus that it looks well thought out and tasty. The food is all intended to complement an evenings social drinking as it's all tapassy and craft-pizzas and snacky. The bar appears to have limited facilities (eg TINY worktop pizza oven) so I think it would be worth stopping in and talking to them about what you want rather than turning up with a group of 6 all expecting restaurant style eating experiences.
We absolutely loved the relaxed atmosphere and would plan to visit another time with a whole evening ahead of us to enjoy the good range of drinks and take time ordering and munching through a great looking hand made pizza.

• Visited August 2013
Midlands
“what a shame”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

loved this place but visited recently for coffee and bailey's nightcap, what a shame. The coffee was weak and watery and they have stopped serving a complimentary biscuit with it. what a disappointment - my last review highlighted the fabulous coffee - no more. Didn't return throughout the week.

• Visited August 2013