“Customers expected to provide a pet sitting service for the errant owner.”

The Square Orange Cafe Bar
Ranked #5 of 130 Restaurants in Keswick
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch
Description: Please note that we do not take bookings.
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Customers expected to provide a pet sitting service for the errant owner.”
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I have been to this café several times, up until now it has been one of my favourite in Keswick though my experience on my last visit has left me somewhat disgusted with the level of service and hospitality extended towards its customers.

We went into the café to have a quiet coffee and a slice of cake, we were not expecting spend the entire time we were there looking after the owners pet while it sat next to our table begging for food.

I do not have a problem with dogs being in a café though I do take exception to the fact that it was just left to wander and beg from whoever was eating, no attempt was made to restrain it and no apology was made for it being stood begging at our table for around 20 mins.

I mentioned to the waitress while we were leaving that I was not happy about it, she said that the dog actually belongs to the owner of the café. I would have thought that if the owner of the café was going to leave his dog he would have the common sense to restrain it or at the very least put a bed in the shop for it to sleep on.

• Visited July 2011
9 Thank tigerwa

Skipton, United Kingdom
“just had a great evening here, lively good atmosphere”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

lovely plae for a glass of wine or a beer, has a real cafe bar feel to it, i've been many times when we have been up in Keswick, it's not smart but it has atmosphere and friendly staff and is busy adn bussling

• Visited June 2011
Huddersfield
“Authentic tapas and great atmosphere”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Great little cafe and wine bar and an interesting place to eat in Keswick town centre. It's not the usual 'family restaurant' with 'homemade' dishes. It's the sort of atmospheric place where a couple of people play backgammon at a corner table, others eat pizza (up to 9pm) or excellent Spanish tapas (all day until late), and other people drop in for a glass of wine or a couple of beers. Now a fixture whenever I visit Keswick

• Visited June 2011
shropshire
“small but perfectly formed!”
Reviewed March 18, 2011

Found this little bar last year when visiting and enjoyed a coffee or two tucked away at the back one morning. Coundn't wait to go back on this visit and this time sampled some of the beer selection. Not to sure about the comments about frosty staff, that has certainly not been our experience. It is small and does get busy but that is part of its charm. will definately visit again when in Keswick.

• Visited March 2011
Edinburgh
“Poor service”
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Cumbria is a fantastically welcoming place which makes the rude and dismissive service I experienced here all the more surprising. Shame because it looks like a nice place but I was not prepared to pay for the privilege of being ignored or grunted at - we all have bad days and thankfully the excellent Treeby's Gallery Cafe round the corner restored my faith in Cumbrian hospitality.

• Visited March 2011