“Friendly place to visit”
Review of Squirrel Lodge

Squirrel Lodge
Ranked #129 of 173 Keswick B&B and Inns
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“Friendly place to visit”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Just spent two nights at squirrel lodge. The owner of the B & B was very welcoming rooms are clean, breakfasts excellent. House was central to the town and within easy walking distance. Very quiet area. Value for money.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We stayed at the lodge for a couple of nights. It was a nice, comfy and cosy lodge. The landlady was really nice. She made us a really nice vegetarian English breakfast with crispy hash browns. She even dropped us off at the bus station when she saw we had so much luggage to carry. Recommended!

• Stayed November 2013
Ballygawley, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

By far, one of the nicest B&B's iv'e stayed in recently. The landlady is very helpful and always has time for a chat - even if she is busy!!!. Food was very good and overall, i felt the price was very competitive. Location wise, only a short walk to the town and in a very quiet street.

Always nice when the owners don't ask for the money up front - good old fashioned manners costs nothing, and being able to pay by Credit Card is very handy. I'd rate here as maybe in the top 3 B&B's in Keswick.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good - i had the single room last visit which i thought was ample.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Squirrel Lodge

I first visited Squirrel Lodge in June 2013. I stayed in a twin room with en-suite bathroom. It was quiet, comfortable and clean. I revisited Squirrel Lodge in October 2013. I had the single room, with private bathroom. It was clean and cosy, with a TV as well as a small desk, which was useful as I had brought some study along for the evenings. Pat, the owner, was welcoming and well-informed about the locality (walks, weather forecast, and transport connections). Breakfast was perfect, with plenty of choice.

Keswick is a beautiful, unspoilt town. There are lakeside walks, a 50 minute boat trip around the lake, and a fascinating museum, dedicated to the history and manufacture of Derwent pencils. There’s a street market and lots of shops and eateries. Peaceful Keswick and Derwentwater and the surrounding mountains provide respite from the rush of city life.

My only disappointment is that I am not fit enough to climb mountains, but I am thinking of training up so that I can revisit with family or friend and have a go at climbing Skiddaw. My B&B of choice for my stay will be Squirrel Lodge.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Fi S
Rome, Italy
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed one night at Squirrel Lodge. Overall a pleasant experience but I would definitely expect more from a "luxury" accommodation. The room was a bit small, did not have much space to walk and leave small luggage s around. The furniture was tired. The whole room and en-suite did not give me a 100% feeling of cleanliness. Breakfast was really good. Location is perfect to walk in the city centre. The owner could have been a little bit more friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
KeswickSquirrels, Owner at Squirrel Lodge, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
We are sorry that your stay didn't meet your expectations; however we can assure you that our accommodation meets all the requirements to maintain our 4 Star rating and is inspected annually by the English Tourism Council.
The room you occupied is our least expensive and was chosen by you as you were on a budget, and therefore it is the smallest of our double rooms, whilst still having adequate space. We do have other rooms which are classed as 'luxury' but you opted for the cheaper one.
As your stay was in August and nearing the end of a very busy summer season with high visitor numbers, it is inevitable that we will incur scuffs and marks from the sheer volume of traffic passing through. Although every effort is made to maintain standards and to carry out running repairs and cleaning, we cannot refurbish or update furniture mid-season. Full deep cleans and redecoration is carried out during our quieter winter months.
I am sorry if you feel I was unfriendly, but I can only assume that as we were very busy at the time of your stay, I was unable to devote as much time to individual guests as I would have liked. Ironically, this remark is the complete opposite to the previous review in June when I was considered very friendly, so what can I say?!
Thank you for your kind words complimenting us on our breakfast which you enjoyed and I'm sure you were also glad of the free wifi and parking which you took advantage of and we hope to see you again in the future.
Llandudno
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Very nice nights accomodation. The room was big enough with a good comfortable bed and good tv. The shower was easy to use. The host was very griendly and the place is close to town and lots of rating options. Good value and accepted credit card

• Stayed June 2013
England
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed here for three nights. It was fine - very friendly and helpful approach and clean well equipped room. £198 for three nights twin room B&B seemed good value, with wifi too. The town centre is only a few minutes walk away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family