“Not the best, not the worst”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Squirrel Lodge

and 1 more site!
Squirrel Lodge
Ranked #125 of 176 Keswick B&B and Inns
Rome, Italy
“Not the best, not the worst”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

I stayed one night at Squirrel Lodge. Overall a pleasant experience but I would definitely expect more from a "luxury" accommodation. The room was a bit small, did not have much space to walk and leave small luggage s around. The furniture was tired. The whole room and en-suite did not give me a 100% feeling of cleanliness. Breakfast was really good. Location is perfect to walk in the city centre. The owner could have been a little bit more friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
KeswickSquirrels, Owner at Squirrel Lodge, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
We are sorry that your stay didn't meet your expectations; however we can assure you that our accommodation meets all the requirements to maintain our 4 Star rating and is inspected annually by the English Tourism Council.
The room you occupied is our least expensive and was chosen by you as you were on a budget, and therefore it is the smallest of our double rooms, whilst still having adequate space. We do have other rooms which are classed as 'luxury' but you opted for the cheaper one.
As your stay was in August and nearing the end of a very busy summer season with high visitor numbers, it is inevitable that we will incur scuffs and marks from the sheer volume of traffic passing through. Although every effort is made to maintain standards and to carry out running repairs and cleaning, we cannot refurbish or update furniture mid-season. Full deep cleans and redecoration is carried out during our quieter winter months.
I am sorry if you feel I was unfriendly, but I can only assume that as we were very busy at the time of your stay, I was unable to devote as much time to individual guests as I would have liked. Ironically, this remark is the complete opposite to the previous review in June when I was considered very friendly, so what can I say?!
Thank you for your kind words complimenting us on our breakfast which you enjoyed and I'm sure you were also glad of the free wifi and parking which you took advantage of and we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Llandudno
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Very nice nights accomodation. The room was big enough with a good comfortable bed and good tv. The shower was easy to use. The host was very griendly and the place is close to town and lots of rating options. Good value and accepted credit card

• Stayed June 2013
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed here for three nights. It was fine - very friendly and helpful approach and clean well equipped room. £198 for three nights twin room B&B seemed good value, with wifi too. The town centre is only a few minutes walk away.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank EnglandTom
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

Just back from a last minute, four night break at Squirrel Lodge. A most enjoyable stay. Pat is a very friendly and accopmmodating host, and cooks a superb bowl of porridge. The breakfast was first class (the menu even had Kippers!!) and the room was spotlessly clean and well equipped, with a powerful shower. You even get decent internet access. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank LW733
Rhondda, Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2012

As is usual for me, I didn't have the foresight to book a B&B for my trip, and had a bit of difficulty finding a place to stay - it seems very few B&Bs in Keswick have single rooms, but luckily this one did.
The room was clean, warm and comforatble, with a TV, tea-making facilities and its own bathroom just down the landing. All in all, it was a nice place, with lots of homely features and at a very reasonable price - I'd certainly have no hesitation recommending this B&B.
The main town was just a couple of minutes walk away, with a small cinema, supermarkets etc, so the location was ideal for my needs. When I'm back in the area I'll call in again :-)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Christopher W
Gateshead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2012

I have stayed at Squirrel Lodge 3 times over the last few months. On my first visit I likled the fact that the room had lots of little personal touches that made it feel like I was staying in someone's home, not their business. The room had a personality and I had everything I needed for my stay. Pat and her husband have always been very friendly and helpful and made me feel very safe and comfortable, especially as I was travelling alone.

Whether you have a full English breakfast or a bowl of proper porridge you will get a beautifully cooked and presented breakfast which was a great way to start the day. If I go back to the Lakes any time soon I will definitely book back into Squirrel Lodge

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Allyson M
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2012

My friend and I had a busy weekend planned. We planned to do a few hikes including Blencathera and Scafell Pike and had no idea on how to go about them. Pat was extremely helpful when she let us into the room at 10:00 a.m. to drop off our heavy load and pointed us in the right direction with a book/map to Blencathera.

She gave us advice and shared stories of her and her husband's experiences climbing all of the mountains in Keswick. It was great to share experiences with someone else.

Additionally, the room was tastefully decorated and a great size for two people. The shower was probably the greatest thing in the world (especially after climbing in below zero weather). Every time we came back from a hike our beds were made (even some of our clothes folded and put away nicely). The towels were fresh and the tea was restocked. Breakfast was delicious with three choices for the main breakfast, and cereal, toast, and fruit.

We really enjoyed our stay, and Pat was a delight. I would highly recommend this for anyone traveling on a budget, who is there in Keswick to enjoy the outdoors.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends