“Fascinating.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Book In Advance
More Info
$55.86*
and up
Borrowdale, Buttermere and Beyond: Spectacular Ten Lakes Day Trip from...
Ranked #4 of 63 things to do in Keswick
More attraction details
Owner description: Honister Slate Mine is a unique award winning experience, England's last remaining working slate mine and England's very first Via Ferrata!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Fascinating.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Good to go if hot or wet. Family ran and very friendly. Bought a slate bench which is beautiful. If you are looking for something different for your garden this is the place to do go.

Visited June 2014

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 185 helpful votes
“Via Feratta”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2014 via mobile

Awesome, challenging, exciting, one of the very best new Attractions in the UK for sure.
Not for the faint hearted but well worth the personal challenge. Our group ranged from a 62 yr old to children as young as 9 and we all managed the Elite course. Physically and mentally challenging but such a great experience enjoyed by all our group. Safety was very good (as you would expect) and the instructors ( Mike & James) were assuring and friendly adding positively to the experience.
The views were awesome and it was a real unique experience.
Definately Highly Recommended.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank John J
Brighton, Sussex, UK
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Amazing Via Ferrata experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

I am so glad I plucked up the courage to do the Via Ferrata Extreme (harder than the introductory Classic). It was one of the most thrilling and fun three hours of my life. I have done Via Ferrata routes in the Dolomites where you can experience this for days on end but at Honister they have cleverly created an intense experience on the side of Fleetwith Pike. You get amazing views, when you can bear to look down!, and a great sensation of exploring the side of a mountain. Our guide/instructor was very good and made sure we were safe (ie harness always hooked on to safety wire) and also had fun. If you can bear heights and like an adrenaline rush this is for you - clambering round sheer rock faces, crossing a wire bridge and scrambling up a rope ladder. The old mining works you see on the way are also interesting and the view from the top is amazing. All in all one of the best things I have done! I think it was good value too. Photos taken by the guide available on a CD at extra cost on your return.

1 Thank brightonchris1
Irvine, United Kingdom
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“down the mine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

great to see how the miners had to work years ago no good for the claustrophobic traveller but very interesting nonetheless.

1 Thank janeg1950
Rossendale, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“The nearest thing to an alpine via ferrata!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Although a fairly fit 67 year old who did some rock climbing in my younger days, and. some grade 3 scrambling in more recent times, I was expecting the "Via Ferrarta Extreme" to be something of a dissappointment. How wrong could I be! Climbing up and down the metal ladders and traversing metal stanchions all fixed to vertical rockfaces was exillerating to say the least. Descending an overhanging metal ladder into a deep gulley was awkward, but this was followed by traversing the vertical sides of the gulley walls while the bed of the gulley was dropping away all the time. Once we had emerged from this gulley, we were faced with a bridge, consisting of three wire cables, which I think may have replaced the zip wire, but I could be wrong about this!
I must point out that throughout this experience you are wearing a harness attached to the fixed wires/cables by two karabiners, and, in the case of the bridge, an extra safeguard is provided by an overhead pulley device. Although Indiana Jones wannabes will love the bridge, I found it arduous and scary, especially when the wind got up and tilted the whole thing around 45 degrees..Maybe in my younger days I would have loved the experience.
More ladders and metal rungs were followed by an area of rope netting enabling you to shin up vertical rock before a second mining tunnel led to a steep path up a sloping gangway to the summit of Honister Crag. Here we gazed at the superb view over Buttermere, Crummock and Loweswater and peered over the cliff edge at Honister Pass nearly 1500 feet below. Our instructor then stunned us all by asking if we were ready to go back the way we had come! Fortunately, he was only joking! So we all had a very pleasant walk back to the start.
The whole experience was memorable and our instructor was first class in the way he explained how to use our gear and all the safety aspects.You dont even have to walk up to the start of the via farrata as you are transported by bus!
To sum up, the via ferrata extreme is not aimed at climbers but the ordinary outdoor enthusiast, with a head for heights who can be transported into rock scenery only experienced by expert cragsmen.
Finally, I would reccommend this as an excellent birthday present, or in my case xmas present.

1 Thank v_marcinkiewicz