“Wild with great views”

Book In Advance
More Info
$57.58*
and up
Borrowdale, Buttermere and Beyond: Spectacular Ten Lakes Day Trip from...
Ranked #4 of 63 things to do in Keswick
More attraction details
Owner description: Honister Slate Mine is a unique award winning experience, England's last remaining working slate mine and England's very first Via Ferrata!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Wild with great views”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The mine is very isolated and the end of a single track road, though worth the drive, spectacular views albeit the weather was challenging with hail on the day we went. Before the visit I was not aware of how slate was produced and the hard life of the original miners and how this mine had gone bust before being saved by the revival of slate in the garden.

On the trip you climb up and into mountain to see some of the original chambers blasted out by the miners over 100 years ago. Inside the mine and the walk up was chilly so be prepared.

The staff were both interesting and helpful.

Visited November 2013

Brighouse, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Disappointing tour guide”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Arrived at honister on a rainy day 29th oct 2013, ready for a trip down the mine, we had visited before about 4 years previous and enjoyed it, but this time around the tour guide was a big let down, she knew very little about the history of the mine, except for a few bits and pieces (it's 450 million years old etc, etc). She seemed nice enough but lacked the people skills, she made the group feel awkward by constantly asking questions like "so guess how old the miners were" we must have had 20 questions all followed by long uncomfortable silences. Towards the end I felt like saying "oh for god sake just tell us will you, we've payed enough" also the group had approx 40 in it, I'm sure it was half that size last time. Won't go again.

3 Thank M123123
Stockport, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Honister slate mine”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Excellent trip to Honister slate mine. Did the mine visit on a wet Wednesday and well worth the trek. Bought a family ticket and pre booked over the phone, although they didn't require payment before. Rowland was our guide and he was funny, witty and very knowledgeable. He made it interesting for our two 12 year old boys, and interacted with everyone extremely well. As per previous comments , warm clothing and good footwear needed, but it was an excellent trip and worth the money. Would recommend .

1 Thank skipali
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Nice experience ”
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed the mine and felt the gentleman showing us around was great! However I felt the lady in the shop was quite rude.. When asking about other activities at honister mine, the lady looked me up and down suggesting other adventurous activities wouldn't be suited to myself and suggested I bought walking boots.. Which I was already wearing! I don't think she could see past the little bit of lipstick I was wearing.. Quite rude and off putting.

Lichfield
“Change of pants recommended”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Via Ferrata is terrifying at times if you are a desk jockey like me but perfectly safe and a great way of pushing yourself. Staff are friendly and our guide Steve-o is a cool fella.