“Cafe - one of the worst I've been in”

Honister Slate Mine
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Private Tour: Lake District Day Trip from...
Ranked #11 of 75 things to do in Keswick
More attraction details
Owner description: Honister Slate Mine is a unique award winning experience, England's last remaining working slate mine and England's very first Via Ferrata!!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We hiked up for our breakfast form the valley below, arriving just after 10. The cafe was open so we asked for bacon and eggs. Can't do it. Why not? It's the morning. Sullen girl who seemed to take pleasure in turning us away. Not on the menu - so we ordered a bacon roll. Can't do it, it's the morning and the breads in the oven and I can't do bacon for half an hour. Well what have you got? Two stale looking pies and a couple of overpriced sausage rolls. We were meeting people here so had to hang about and the situation hadn't changed an hour later.

It's the morning - frankly a classic excuse. Of course it's the (sweary word) morning, that's why we wanted breakfast,

The poor service, abominable planning, rotten selection was compounded by sheer rudeness of the staff.

I wouldn't go near the place again and suggest that you don't either.

2  Thank SinBosun
Write a ReviewReviews (1,124)
All reviews
in 12 reviews
"interesting tour"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Have been looking forward to visiting the slate mine for some time so decided to drive from Carlisle for a visit on Bank Holiday Monday with friends. We arrived at noon and thought we would visit the cafe first for some refreshments. We arrived at the counter (it wasn't busy) and asked for a Cheese & Tomato Panini to be told in a very unfriendly manner that there were 'none made up' and it would take 20 minutes to prepare one. Surprised at the off hand way that I had been spoken to I simply asked if there was anything Vegetarian on the menu and the reply was 'everyone eats meat here and we don't do Vegetarian food as we have done it before and it loses us money'. I wasn't expecting a gourmet feast just a Salad Sandwich or something similar. I almost chose the 20 minute option but had been made to feel so uncomfortable that I opted for a coffee instead. We sat down and I asked my friends if I had said anything in a way which could of been misconstrued as I have never had such bad service in a cafe before. But, no, they said, she was just rude for no reason. We left without visiting the mine. The girl with the pigtails should not be working in a customer service environment as she has no customer care skills whatsoever and she does this attraction no favours.

6  Thank MGR99
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Visited here as boyfriend had looked and was interested in the Extreme trip. We didn't do that one! Toured around the mine and told various interesting facts, the road driving to the mine is an experience! Only tip would be to wrap up warm, we arrived on a day where it was lashing down with rain and had coats and boots but it's really cold down in the mine.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just back from the Lakes and one of our adventures, beside climbing several of the mountains was doing the Extreme Via Ferrata here. We booked the morning session (9.00) and it was just us 2 with the guide. Got kitted up with helmet and harness then walked up the hill to the start. The views are absolutely fantastic, right down the stark valley and the bits of mine workings you walk past, through and back to later are very interesting. We had a friendly and knowledgeable guide who told us about the mine as well as the via ferrata, he also pointed out a perrigin falcon. The route is mainly metal staples with the wire to clip into, bt with the addition of a quite long Burma bridge and a cargo net to climb up at the end. Both my boyfriend and I are very active so did not find the via ferrata scary or strenuous but it was good fun and has inspired us to go to Italy and France to do more. We very much enjoyed it and would go back with for a fun 1-2 hours with friends, especially if they get the go-ahead for the zip line. If you're tempted to have a go - do it!

The only thing was we were a bit disappointed at the cost of the DVD of photos. We would have bought it for £5-10 but at £15 we thought about it and despite the nice photos - especially the views, decided against it.

Had a cup of tea and flapjack in the cafe - nice but more cakes and hot food would improve the menu.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This was my first visit to Honister Via Ferrata Extreme I had been looking forward to trying it for a long while. I didn't pick the best day weather wise a bit wet and windy but that didn't spoil it. The first section was a vertical drop down then a traverse across the rock face then a climb back up. Then Came the climb down and across the vertical gully towards the Burma bridge the bridge was for me the most challenging section as it was swaying a lot in the wind. The traverse from the bridge across and up to the net was great fun and the climb up the net to the end of the course complete a fantastic two and a half hours.