“Great food, very overpriced”

Low Sizergh Barn Tea Room
Ranked #1 of 8 Coffee & Tea in Kendal
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Great food, very overpriced”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

After a morning of bike riding, we decided to pop in for lunch. As we missed breakfast, we ordered a sausage bap with egg. This alone came to £8.50 per bap. We felt very stung considering this is a cafe and not a restaurant. You wouldn't even pay those prices in London. On the plus side, great staff and a lovely atmosphere.

• Visited April 2014

Darwen, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

Busy tea rooks. Scones were like boulders, rock hard and stale. Complained to waitress who asked if I would like another - ??? Weak coffee. Generally dismal. Does not come up to expectations.

Skipton, United Kingdom
“Very good”
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Lunch...ploughman's and cold meat platter...cafetiere of local coffee and peppermint tea. £20.

Lovely meal, excellent service. Great atmosphere, great choice of local produce in shop downstairs.

Would definitely recommend.

Visited April 2014
York, United Kingdom
“Travelling by bus? Be careful.”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Low Sizergh's red-and-white leaflet (which convinced us to pay a visit) says that two different local bus services "stop at our door" - that's an exact quote, but they do not. It's not true at all.

The nearest stop is some distance away, with a ten minute walk up a hill by the side of a dual carriageway to get there. Our bus driver told us some drivers will stop outside 'informally', but they shouldn't, and they've been asked not to. I don't begrudge the guy at all for doing his job by the rules.

The stop to return back to Kendal is even further away, around the back of the farm, through a graffitied tunnel beneath the dual carriageway, then through various fields in a huge loop. At several points we were convinced we were lost in the middle of nowhere, but with no other way home, we just had to keep going...

So not a great start. If you're visiting by bus, beware. Low Sizergh don't just keep this info quiet on their leaflet - they actually state something untrue.

The shop itself is well-stocked with all sorts of food, some of it home-produced, the majority of it sourced from various lovely places around the Lake District. The meat section is very enticing. Upstairs there is a little gift area, with some nice things that would make lovely gifts, and the tearooms as well. We arrived early afternoon on a busy, sunny Saturday, and at first were worried the table service system wasn't really working. All the staff were clearly occupied and busy, though there were a number of miserable-looking tables sitting around in silence waiting.

However, the young lady who came to seat us was absolutely lovely, and our order was taken soon after - not so soon we felt hurried along, but not so long to keep us worrying. Our tea, chocolate cake, cheese scone and wedges all arrived very quickly. So really, I'm not sure what all the miserable people were waiting for! Who knows?

The wedges and the cheese scone were very nice, and it was great to get loose leaf tea in a pot, rather than a few bags chucked in. There are better slices of chocolate cake to be found in the Lake District, but the menu did have some fancier cakes available - perhaps I picked wrong. The milkshakes looked lovely.

The bill was one of the best parts. Less than ten pounds! Brilliant. Very pleased with that. Your staff are all friendly and lovely, even on a very busy day, and we saw them sorting out a problem at a nearby table (involving a banana milkshake) with grace and a smile. The decor is also great. It's a lovely space to have a tearoom, lots of beams and hops and wooden floorboards. The owls are fantastic.

Also have to say we like the live video footage of the cows. We found it oddly fascinating. We spent a good ten minutes watching them push against a sort of yellow roller - presumably for scratching themselves with - good stuff.

To summarise - I'd love to give this place the four stars it deserves, and your tearoom staff deserve five. They're a credit to you and go out of their way to be friendly and cheerful even when faced with huge numbers of people. However, if the leaflet was honest about public transport, I don't think we'd have made the trek we did. It was quite a journey in the end.

If you're in a car, and you fancy tea and a scone, definitely drop in. But if you're coming by bus, don't expect the easy jaunt the leaflet suggests.

York, United Kingdom
“Great lunchtime spot with free parking”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I often head here for lunch out with colleagues or friends. It's easy to get to with parking, which actually makes it a better option then fighting through Kendal traffic. On my last visit the service was great. I asked to swap tables to make it easier for my friend to find me. Also they exchanged a cremated potato wedge for three fresh ones without question. As I try to be gluten-free as much as possible, it would be good if they could offer jacket potatoes but the quiche is always a great option. But often the specials mean I end up eating my 'main' meal there. Trouble is, I'm too full for cake afterwards! And what cakes... Plus it's always fun to take children there to see the cows being milked whilst you're eating.