“Very good” 5 of 5 bubbles

Low Sizergh Barn Tea Room
Ranked #1 of 8 Coffee & Tea in Kendal
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014

Lunch...ploughman's and cold meat platter...cafetiere of local coffee and peppermint tea. £20.

Lovely meal, excellent service. Great atmosphere, great choice of local produce in shop downstairs.

Would definitely recommend.

Visited April 2014

York, United Kingdom
“Travelling by bus? Be careful.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Low Sizergh's red-and-white leaflet (which convinced us to pay a visit) says that two different local bus services "stop at our door" - that's an exact quote, but they do not. It's not true at all.

The nearest stop is some distance away, with a ten minute walk up a hill by the side of a dual carriageway to get there. Our bus driver told us some drivers will stop outside 'informally', but they shouldn't, and they've been asked not to. I don't begrudge the guy at all for doing his job by the rules.

The stop to return back to Kendal is even further away, around the back of the farm, through a graffitied tunnel beneath the dual carriageway, then through various fields in a huge loop. At several points we were convinced we were lost in the middle of nowhere, but with no other way home, we just had to keep going...

So not a great start. If you're visiting by bus, beware. Low Sizergh don't just keep this info quiet on their leaflet - they actually state something untrue.

The shop itself is well-stocked with all sorts of food, some of it home-produced, the majority of it sourced from various lovely places around the Lake District. The meat section is very enticing. Upstairs there is a little gift area, with some nice things that would make lovely gifts, and the tearooms as well. We arrived early afternoon on a busy, sunny Saturday, and at first were worried the table service system wasn't really working. All the staff were clearly occupied and busy, though there were a number of miserable-looking tables sitting around in silence waiting.

However, the young lady who came to seat us was absolutely lovely, and our order was taken soon after - not so soon we felt hurried along, but not so long to keep us worrying. Our tea, chocolate cake, cheese scone and wedges all arrived very quickly. So really, I'm not sure what all the miserable people were waiting for! Who knows?

The wedges and the cheese scone were very nice, and it was great to get loose leaf tea in a pot, rather than a few bags chucked in. There are better slices of chocolate cake to be found in the Lake District, but the menu did have some fancier cakes available - perhaps I picked wrong. The milkshakes looked lovely.

The bill was one of the best parts. Less than ten pounds! Brilliant. Very pleased with that. Your staff are all friendly and lovely, even on a very busy day, and we saw them sorting out a problem at a nearby table (involving a banana milkshake) with grace and a smile. The decor is also great. It's a lovely space to have a tearoom, lots of beams and hops and wooden floorboards. The owls are fantastic.

Also have to say we like the live video footage of the cows. We found it oddly fascinating. We spent a good ten minutes watching them push against a sort of yellow roller - presumably for scratching themselves with - good stuff.

To summarise - I'd love to give this place the four stars it deserves, and your tearoom staff deserve five. They're a credit to you and go out of their way to be friendly and cheerful even when faced with huge numbers of people. However, if the leaflet was honest about public transport, I don't think we'd have made the trek we did. It was quite a journey in the end.

If you're in a car, and you fancy tea and a scone, definitely drop in. But if you're coming by bus, don't expect the easy jaunt the leaflet suggests.

York, United Kingdom
“Great lunchtime spot with free parking”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

I often head here for lunch out with colleagues or friends. It's easy to get to with parking, which actually makes it a better option then fighting through Kendal traffic. On my last visit the service was great. I asked to swap tables to make it easier for my friend to find me. Also they exchanged a cremated potato wedge for three fresh ones without question. As I try to be gluten-free as much as possible, it would be good if they could offer jacket potatoes but the quiche is always a great option. But often the specials mean I end up eating my 'main' meal there. Trouble is, I'm too full for cake afterwards! And what cakes... Plus it's always fun to take children there to see the cows being milked whilst you're eating.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Food not great but good day out nonetheless :)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stumbled upon this place by accident whilst in Kendal for the weekend by looking for a cream tea in Kendal on google. Other than that we would never have found this lovely little farm. I feel that by advertising as a tea room they really are down playing what a lovely day out can be had at Low Sizergh Barn Tea Room as my partner and I loved this place in spite of the average food served in the cafe.

On arrival the first thing we did was visit the tea room which is located within the shop upstairs. The cafe was well decorated and we were seated quickly. The food served is made using produce from the farm, for example a variety of different milkshakes are served using milk from their own cows and soup is made using home grown vegetables. My partner and I just had a scone each with butter, jam and cream with a pot of tea. I found the scones quite dry and the cream tasted like a bog standard bottle of squirty cream. The tea was nice and I thought having real tea leaves instead of a tea bag was a lovely touch. With our two teas we even got an extra jug of hot water.

Next we went and saw the cows being milked which takes place everyday at 3.45pm. You can either view this from a viewing window in the cafe or at a bar door where the cows all line up to be milked.I loved being so close to the cows who were all very friendly and seemed to relish customers patting them. Beware though, they do like to lick you and their tongues are much longer than you'd expect!

It really was fascinating watching the milking process, it was nice to see how painless it seems to be for the cows as they all went of their own accord to the milking machine. It was also lovely to be able to see the cows move in the large barn where they have plenty of space to move around and even have a scratching post as well as plenty of food.

Next we also walked past the chickens who were equally friendly and seemed to enjoy pecking at our feet. Once again they had plenty of space to roam free which was lovely to see.

There is also a horse on the farm, I was saddened to see that the poor thing was on it's own however it was very friendly and enjoyed coming to us for some attention.

I must admit I was most impressed with the shop, there were many items on display which were made using the farms own produce including chutney/jam, cheese, fruit and vegetables. I usually wouldn't really care about local produce if it wasn't for this place. We tasted some cheese from the shop which was fantastic but due to travelling home a long distance we couldn't purchase any unfortunately.

On our next visit to Kendal we will definetely return. Worth a visit and I'm sure the kids would love it as well as adults.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Lovely atmosphere, great food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Very popular location so we had to queue for a while before being seated. Once seated the staff were attentive and friendly and we enjoyed a delicious lunch. Well worth the wait at the beginning and it was nice to browse around the rest of the barn and see the cows being milked.

Visited February 2014