“Regular Customer”

Ranked #23 of 156 Restaurants in Kendal
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Grade 2 listed building in the heart of Kendal, serving locally sourced home made food - famed for our pulled pork & homemade BBQ sauce, slow cooked beef chilli, soups & breads, home roasted meats, and of course Karen's famous cakes.
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

I eat in or take away from Relish at least once a week. I can thoroughly recommend a takeaway salad box or baguette ! The refurbished sit in eating area is great and I can recommend any of the freshly prepared hot meals which are filling and great value for money !

1  Thank Alister M

Reviewed October 29, 2013

I go to relish quite often for lunch as I work locally, the staff are always so friendly and helpful, such a pleasure to deal with! The food is exceptional and always fresh. A million times better than greggs ;)

Reviewed October 28, 2013

My daughter and I went to Kendal for a day out last week and having read the excellent reviews of Relish, I decided we should have lunch there. so glad we did. now, the reviews were mainly about the cakes, which I admit were nice but, personally speaking, nothing other than good quality fayre, HOWEVER, I am a huge chilli fan and on the menu was a baguette ( which I must say was wonderfully fresh and soft - not the usual taking the skin off the roof of your mouth baguette!!) and on it was mixed salami, cheese and chilli chutney, homemade. I think the sandwich was called The Triple H (for Hell) and when I ordered it, the young waitress asked how hot I wanted it and I said the hottest she could do and then some!! she was a bit surprised (most people are). my daughter order the chicken and mango chutney baguette. our order was very quick and boy, it was very spicy but wonderful - so nice to eat something that lives up to its name! My daughter said her chicken and mango was beautiful too. after we had finished, the owner came to us and said he was surprised that I managed it as a lot of people who asked for it said it was too hot, i think. I explained that I loved chillies and he told us about a little shop on the high street called Made in Cumbria where they sold all sorts of jams and chutneys. one of their specials was Banana Habenero (hot and sweet). the cost at Relish for 2 wonderful baguettes and a very very large pot of tea (could have catered for 3 people and a coke was £11.30 which I find is extremely reasonable. we then went to Made in Cumbria and bought said Banana Habenero and another pot of extreme chilli chutney(a gift for my son, will be interesting to see what he makes of it). this also is a very interesting little shop which also doubles up as Tourist Information shop. My thanks to the owner at Relish for a great lunch and pointing us in the direction of the chutney shop. if you go to Kendal, you really should have your lunch there.

2  Thank amanda s
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great tasting food, large portions, great collection of drinks and very helpful staff. What a great addition the ice cream counter was recently. It is really fantastic to visit somewhere where the staff seem happy to be there. The cakes are fantastic, they are my pregnant wife's craving at the moment. Certainly worth a visit.

3  Thank Ben A
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I was recommended to try Relish by the staff in a local bank I popped into whilst in Kendal. I only ordered two take away baguettes but they were fabulous and really good value. I was on holiday in the area and really wish I could take this little place with me back home. The staff were lovely and very friendly and I would have loved to try more of the menu. You could sit in to eat too which would have been nice as it looked really cosy but unfortunately I had to grab and run.

A really excellent little place and I'm grateful to the girls in Halifax who told me to try it! Thank you!

1  Thank JJwoking