“Fantastic time” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Greenhouse Restaurant

Greenhouse Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 146 Restaurants in Kendal
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Kendal's only rosette awarded restaurant, offering a contemporary menu with a strong emphasis on local produce from Executive Chef Justin Woods and his kitchen team. We offer three different menus; a daily changing three course menu at £28.00 per person, an individually priced main menu and Cumbrian Tasting Menu. Guests can stick to one or mix and match to experience their perfect meal!
Penrith, United Kingdom
“Fantastic time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

menu excellent with a good wine list very attentive staff and nothing was any trouble,breakfast in the greenhouse restaurant was also excellent with Leona as an excellent team leader.

Visited August 2013
Ben M, General Manager at Greenhouse Restaurant, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Many thanks for your very positive review!

Ben Mayou

Alsager, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and wine with very accommodating professional staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

The restaurant accommodated our special occasion by opening outside the catering hours. The food and wine was outstanding with great recommendations from the very experienced Manager Joel Kirkpatrick. We whole experience was a very memorial day with the service, food and wine.
Really look forward to returning.

• Visited August 2013
United Kingdom
“Tragic is the only word for it”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

As the majority of restaurants were shut on Sunday night in Kendal, I decided to book the Greenhouse at Castle Green for our anniversary meal. I have a pretty important rule in life not to eat in hotel restaurants and I really should have stuck to it. I have only once before written on here and it has taken something for me to do so this time ie it was that bad !!
The menu sounded fine and I am only going to speak for myself here rather than for my wife but the organic hens egg with rocket, asparagus and toast arrived - it didn't look great but its lloks were the best bit. The rocket tasted of absolutely nothing rather than peppery, the asparagus was tasteless and the small toasts, presumeably from a baguette of some sort were rock hard.
Not great but things got worse - we asked for a sorbet and I was completely dumbstruck when a boule of strawberry ice-cream arrived on a plat with what could only be described as some crumble scattered around it. I asked the waiter how this could possibly be sorbet and he just said that is what it is here - I ask - since when did sorbet and ice cream even start to resemble each other in any way apart from being frozen. Unless there is a type of sorbet made form milk and cream,and I am wrong, this has to be the biggest error ever in a restaurant.
Next a tart with goat's cheese etc - what I got was a burnt pie case of about 1,, in height filled with some sort of quiche type filling - tragic is the only word - the veg were however edible.
My wife incidentally had a type of rillette which was a splodge on the plate, they forgot to bring any bread, my wife's main course was Silloth sea bass which she ate reasonably enthusiastically.
I had to ask for the 'sorbet' to be taken off the bill and was somewhat surprised at £6.75 for a glass of white wine.
Now to put this imn perspective, we left and went to Alexander's (the hotel's pub) and asked for a sorbet and a sticky toffee pudding with 2 teas. Low and behold - it was sorbet !!
No more needs to be said about this place - a will not ever return to there or the pub and am shocked beyond belief that it can claim to be an AA 2 rosette restaurant - more like 2 2 wreath restaurant.
I have known the restaurant manager for many years - in fact he presided over our wedding do 9 years ago and I really hope things get better but for God's sake - who is the 'chef' ??!!

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
First of all let me apologise for your disappointment regarding your meal.

I would like to clarify that the sorbet served in the Restaurant had no cream or milk used in its making. Homemade sorbet can sometimes have a creamy taste to finish which gives the impression that a dairy item has been added. The sorbet was served with crushed biscuit to give some texture to the dish. This should have been stated on the menu and has since been amended.

Our wines by the glass range from £4.75 to £6.75 with the New Zealand, Sauvignon Blanc being the wine you were served.

It is always disappointing to receive such feedback as we work very hard to ensure all our guests receive the best possible service and experience. We do sometimes however have to accept that we cannot please everybody. The good news is that the other reviews of the Greenhouse Restaurant suggest that we are doing something right!

Ben Mayou
Driffield, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Food and Wine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Great food, service and views from the Greenhouse fine dining Restaurant. Excellent choice of food on the A La Carte menu. We actually ate from the Table D'Hote menu which is £28 for 3 courses with coffee and chocolates. There was a good choice from this menu also, each course offering a wealth of complimentary flavours. Would especially recommend the Chocolate Fondant dessert with a glass of dessert wine - heaven!!

Visited June 2013
Kendal
“Best restaurant in Kendal - "Something different"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

We ate at the greenhouse last week. Our party included four farmers, two kids and two teenagers - not an easy bunch to cater for... But we loved it! The farmers loved their decent sized portions of local food. The kids were satisfied with their spag bol, garlic bread and sticky toffee pudding. The ladies in the group loved the opportunity to try foods, and food combinations, that they'd never had. The restaurant manager, Chris, took time to explain the dishes to us and encouraged us to try things we hadn't before! I had rose veal which was locally reared at Heaves farm near kendal, then "namelaka" chocolate mousse. The veal was divine and the cauliflower and gnocchi complemented it. The namelaka was deliciously chocolatey and it came with the most refreshing pomegranate sorbet. All of the dishes were beautifully presented, and such thought had obviously gone into them. All plates were emptied! Overall, we'd all go to the greenhouse again, it ticks all the boxes for us. As my mother said, "I can't wait to see what's on the menu next time!"

• Visited May 2013
Ben M, Manager at Greenhouse Restaurant, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thanks Emma, you obviously had a great time. Justin Woods our Executive Chef has a passion for using local produce, long before it was a trendy thing to do. This is shown in the rest of the kitchen brigade too with one of our chefs picking wild garlic the other week for us to put on the menu! So there may be a more than a few changes next time you come - watch this space.