“Class”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Great food chef was friendly jokes were first class pints cheap great place for kids to play recommend going to anyone for all ages

Write a ReviewReviews (1,300)

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were staying in Bowness and had some fairly average meals out there, but had a day in Kendal and went for a carvery at Romneys - everything was 1st class, food, staff, service, we could not fault it. Could not believe the price either £7.25 for as much as you could eat-bargain!! My only disappointment was reading the poor reviews it does not deserve!!

1  Thank thecables2
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I always have a problem finding somewhere to eat in Kendal. Yes, I can be picky about quality, and I've no doubt there are loads of decent places to eat in the town, but the parking!!! Kendal is a nightmare!
So we were in town shopping and needed a quick bite and my wife suggested we try a certain venue and on aur way to it we passed Romneys' and it looked tidy enough and there was a car park too! Now, we'd been here before with the previous owners and it was OK so we decided to give it a go.
We didn't want much so we went with the snack-style menu - haddock gujons, BBQ ribs and some olives - 3 for £10. SCORE! Not big portions, but really enjoyable and dod the jod we wanted. The beer was good too. So 2 happy chappies here.
we found out from the waiter that they'd been refurbished and open for about 6 months, and do a daily carvery. Now then, I'm not a fan of carvery food - unless you get there as the place opens and everything is fresh, ot if the place is heaving and there's a good turn over of the vegetables. The carvey looked quite good - maybe we'll try it on another occasion as I've every confidence that we'll return.
If this kind of a venue is what you are looking for then I'd recommend it, if you want more fine dining then it's not the place for you.
WELL DONE! Keep it up, you were nice people and that is so important.

Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

We were recommended to go here by our hotel and were very impressed.

Fantastic service from warm and friendly staff matched by great food (fillet steak was just perfect).

We were celebrating and the staff really went out of their way to make it very special for us.

We'll definitely go back when we're next in Kendal in fact, I'd go back to Kendal especially to go back there.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

on arrival we were promptly greeted and shown to a lovely table with high backed leather chairs, which were very comfy in deed and we had plenty of room for our party of 8. the place was busy and had a nice astmosphere, all tables round us were reserved then filled as diners arrived. candles on tables and around gave the place a nice feel to it with relaxing lighting.

menu's were handed out - suggestion if something is off the menu or likely to be off in a few more orders state this when handing out menu's. i wanted the lamb and didn't look or consider anything else so was put in a position when i had to quickly change my mind at ordering stage. I switched to mushroom and pea risotto, which was gorgeous very creamy, well presented and warm dish, i polished the lot off.

my friends had fish & chips, ham, steak, chicken, sausage & mash it all looked good, arrived together and was pipping hot = perfect!

a few of the girls had room for pudding (I didn't) some shared these they looked nice but i was full from my main, so sat back in my comfy chair. there was no rush to move on to bar (last time we came had name of next diners after us!!) so the drinks flowed with no rush to settle up, which made for a good night.

Kev had a good banter (like last time too) with the table and made sure we were all ok finding a chair for a late arrival and even when his 'shift' had finished came over to say bye and that someone else would look after us for the rest of the night.

would recommend romney's and this visit was much much much better than the last despite it being only a month apart. 1st visit was Dec and 2nd visit was Jan.

1  Thank LouiseFMB