“Good value lunchtime carvery”
Review of Romneys

Romneys
Ranked #4 of 153 Restaurants in Kendal
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Good value lunchtime carvery”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Called in for lunch on our way to Grasmere. We could see that the pub had been tastefully refurbished. My husband ordered the ham, eggs and chips which he said was ok but my carvery lunch was very tasty. I had beef, turkey and gammon- all perfectly cooked. Vegetables were hot and plentiful and the biggest Yorkshire puddles I have ever seen! Service was fast and friendly. Would go back

1 Thank Holidaylover186403

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Sun 30 September - Some very good points, some not so good”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My Mum and I went for tea about 5 pm. The service was fantastic and we were really very well looked after by all the staff, waiting on and carvery staff. However, whilst the plates were red hot when we picked them up and even when we carried them to the table, by the time I sat down and seasoned it, it was all cold except the roast potatoes. This was really disappointing as I thought the quality of the food was good. Unless Romneys can either get some new plates that retain the heat or can find a solution to this problem and can advertise to say they have resolved this , I doubt we will be returning. My mum has said that lots of people have said the same thing about the food going cold so I think Romneys should address this issue urgently and tell people when they get it sorted. Also would suggest accepting reservations on a Sunday as this is also putting people off. We have a party of 10 going out later this month and wanted to give it another try but it is no good if you can't reserve a table!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank JC46_11
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Out with the old!”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I always thought the old Kendal Arms was a bit tired and dated - almost always empty with zero appeal. The new Romneys is a breath of fresh air for Kendal. Always packed and great if you can get a parking space! It's got style and character and is just what is needed to spice an evening out at the pub up! Boot the kids outside in the play area (not for littlies) and sit down and chill! Ok so it's having a few teething problems with the restaraunt area but other than that it's nice to see it full of young people, families and couples again! It'll never appeal to old fuddy duddies who dislike anything modern ;) ! 'Too echoey' Iv'e heard, 'the floor was uneven'! Seriously? It's a big open space - it will echo and if your worried about uneven floors you had better stay away!!! The carvery was ok although I think it's a bit pricey on a Sunday. It should be the same as the week day price. They need to replenish veg, gravy faster as people were getting miffed standing waiting. This is not a reason not to go however! Go for yourself and see - it's worth it for a look at what they have done to the place!

Kendal, United Kingdom
“Some good points but...”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Been in for drinks on a couple of occaisions previously and found the refurb great...Due to the total lack of carpet in favour of wooden or stone floors it has a bit of an echo which I know has been commented on by others (perhaps not on here).

Finally took the plunge to try the carvery on Sunday...I think the fairest thing to initially point out is that the place is a victim of it's own early success...Once we secured a table we then had to queue for food...It was supposed to be a 4 meat deal but there wasn't any beef for the 10-15 minutes I was stood waiting and the other joints were coming to an end so what I got was a bunch of bits...quite a limited selection of veg and a wait for the gravy only to find the cranberry etc mostly all empty. Despite this it was hot and tasty. We foraged for our own cutlery in the end. The staff seemed over run but when you caught one they were always chirpy and tried to be helpful even if it never amounted to much.

A good selection of ales at normal prices are available...hopefully in time they will get it running smoothly...personally I don't think the Sunday carvery is worth £9.50 so we'll give it a miss favouring the almost identical mid week one for £6.95!

2 Thank grammer2
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Hopefully will get better??”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Myself and partner came in for a meal last week and were very dissapointed we were unsure what to do with there being so many difffrent opinions of the romneys but thought you have to try it for you self and went we eat of the menu and thought it was a good choice of meals till it arrived and it tasted like a micowave meal and presented that way as well. When we told the staff they gave the impresstion the didnt care i think it might of been the maneger we spoke to but nit sure, we asked for are drinks and recived them after we had ordered after asking were they were, i dont like complaining when going out for meals but i was just in shock because i thought the romneys would of been a big succsess and return back to what it was.

3 Thank jan j