“Delicious home cooked food, with a warm friendly welcome!”
Review of Cottage Kitchen

Cottage Kitchen
Ranked #28 of 156 Restaurants in Kendal
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Traditional cafe
Reviewed August 26, 2014

Visiting Kendal, we were there around lunchtime, and you know how sometimes only a plain bacon sarnie will do? Well, most cafes were offering quiches, pizzas, usual and nice stuff, but we wanted that elusive bacon sandwich! So we popped into Greggs "Sorry we stop serving bacon rolls at 11"!!! Walking down Finkle Street we spied Cottage Kitchen and were welcomed warmly by Victoria, who said yes, no problem they'd make us a bacon sandwich. Within a few minutes came delicious soft bread filled to the gunnels with perfectly cooked bacon, which we washed down with a mug of tea for me and a coffee for my other half.

Now, I know what you saying…..how can you rave about having just a bacon sarnie? Well, because sometimes bacon sarnies can be appalingly badly made, because they made it without fuss, without saying "sorry we don't do that sort of thing", and they made us feel special! Other customers were being served fabulous looking baked potatoes piled high with fillings, quiches and simple ham egg and chips. Its about "soul food" here! About food prepared with love.

So, we returned later in the afternoon as their cakes looked so tempting, and we were not disappointed! We both chose the coffee and walnut cake, which was light as a feather. Their scones and chocolate cake looked fab too. Turns out that Lynn Robson, the owner, makes all the cakes fresh each day, and uses gluten free flour too, so if you have problems with gluten then this is the place to go.

I cannot speak highly enough about The Cottage Kitchen, and when we are next in Kendal, we will definitely be giong back…….and might just have the ham, egg and chips that I've been lusting after ever since!!

3  Thank AndrewHills

Reviewed August 23, 2014

A lovely cafe, slap bang in the centre of Kendal with friendly staff. The whole of the main menu is gluten free which is a marvel and as a gluten eater I was not disappointed by the flavour.

My wife and I had pies and a pot of tea for lunch including chips for me and it was only £11!!

A definite recommendation!!

Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Great food reasonably priced very friendly staff nice to sit outside on a sunny day and watch the world go by They will bring a water bowl for your dog!

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Everything in this cafe is, or can be, gluten-free. I don't need GF but the two people I was lunching with do. In their opinion the GF coffee and walnut cake here is the best ever. I chose a jacket potato with tuna mayo with chives - a variation I'd never seen before and very much enjoyed - and home-made coleslaw (bit oniony, but good) and a nice fresh mixed salad. It was a sunny day and all the outside tables were full, so we chose to take away rather than eat in, which led to a nice surprise in the form of reduced prices ('because we don't have to serve it to you, or wash up', the friendly assistant said). They have a take-away menu, but only one copy which is stuck to the staff's side of the counter! So you have to ask - apparently it's not exactly the same as the usual menu, but the staff are very obliging and will happily provide whatever it is you'd like. The freshly-made smoothies looked really good, I didn't try one but made a mental note to do so another time. I'd be very happy to eat here again, whether or not I was with people who needed GF food.

1  Thank Helen K
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Suppose it was late for Sunday lunch and maybe it's a good sign that they had run out of quiche, mushy peas, several pie flavours and even bottled lemonade (brought me half a glass of what was left, no substitute offered for the short serving). So pies it was, with chips, peas or salad (which also should have been off the menu given the leaves that had gone slimey in it). Pies were delicious and obviously home made, but 2 hours later am battling indigestion. The service I would describe as homely with no real concept of customer care (refer lemonade incident). Serviceable feed when needed, but no winner.