“One night stay was enough”
Review of Crooklands Hotel

Crooklands Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Stayed here for one night with the family. It is an easy hotel to find and the car parking was ample. Once in the hotel we were greeted and given our room key. We were told where our room was, so off to the room we went. There was a couple of trip hazards in the corridor, which were the wireless routers just plugged into the 13A sockets and left just lying on the floor. Once in the room the dampness in the room (33) was clearly seen on the wall and the bed light was ajar from the wall. I did inform the reception the next day but they seemed uninterested never even got an apology. The rest of the room was clean and the beds were comfy.

We booked a table for 6:30pm for their restaurant. They told us where our table was. Then once we were seated the menus were basically thrown on the table and the lady left. Not impressed. Afterwards another lady took our drink orders, while we were looking over the menu the prices are waaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. £5 for a soup come on that is just not right. I will say though that the food was really good though only that it took a bit to get there. 30mins. Overall the restaurant experience was good.

Breakfast was good aswell plenty of choice at the buffet for the cereals. There was no croissants though even though they did have it on the menu? You had a vast choice for a cooked breakfast which was table service. Your normal tea/coffee toast etc etc.

I do not think I would stay here again if in the area would seek alternative hotel. I think the rooms are over priced.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank achapman
Charles012, Owner at Crooklands Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Mr Chapman, Thank you for your review, as the hotel owner I like to reply just to put things in prospective. I will hold my hand up to the routers that were put in by Ambleside computers to allow guests free Wi-Fi, however these have now been re-attached to the walls and the cables tied..Last December we had the worst weather that I can remember it snowed for most of December and into January during this hard time the flat roofs and the lead valleys, like the one in the corner of Room 33, packed with snow and froze. We could not get onto the roof to clear as it was to dangerous and had to wait for the thaw, this caused some water damage to the corridor and Room 33. When all dry the room was redecorated but the staining came back on the wall, we have checked with a damp meter and can assure you that there was no damp in your room just staining. We will be redecoration this room in the near future and this area will be treated with a stain block. I am concerned by your comment of a bowl of Soup for £5.00 as on our menu it is £4.45, so I checked back to find that your order did not include any soup and was for a main course of Chicken Fillets, a childs Cumberland Sausage, and a Tagliatelle Carbonara which amounts to £30.45, this includes all vegetables. I do not think that expensive. after VAT we get £25.38. On your last comment we do provide fresh warm Croissants it does say on the menu that they have to be ordered. I hope that I have more than satisfied a reply to your comments some that I find incorrect.
Charles Horrax Owner.

There are newer reviews for Crooklands Hotel

Reviewed September 24, 2011

Stayed in the Crooklands hotel for 5 days and enjoyed my stay. The straff were very pleasant and helpful, the rooms were very clean and comfortable and our meals were very good with generous potions all in all it was a really enjoyable 5 days.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends

Mrs Manner, Thank you for your comments, as you know we are an independant family owned hotel, and we like to think that we our trying hard, when we read your review we all feel it to be more rewarding and worth while.
Thank you from myself, and all my family and staff at the Crooklands.
Charles Horrax Owner.

Reviewed September 20, 2011

just stayed at the crookland hotel,the rooms are very nice and roomy,great service and very friendly staff,food is top notch,and very nice bar,i will be back

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you Linda for your review, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Charles Horrax
Owner

Reviewed September 20, 2011

We have now stayed at Crooklands four times and recommend it. The rooms are comfortable and well equipped, the food good in both quality and value, and the staff friendly.

Room Tip: Quietness is more important than the view!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2011

visited the westmorland show stayed overnight the staff are very friendly had a fabulous meal best. scampi tasted in a long time

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Spent one night here meeting up with friends (we relocated to Crooklands after spending an unsatisfactory night locally, elsewhere).

The hotel is good balance between the old and new with a modern block having been built on the rear of a traditional stone inn.

Our room was spacious, clean, comfortable and well decorated with all the facilities that one would expect from a 3/4 star hotel. Being at the back it was also quiet.

We ate dinner and breakfast both of which were superb with generous portions. One of our party is a vegetarian and at some establishments that means limited choice, not at the Crooklands. Not only was there a wide variety on the dinner menu, but also a veggie full English the next morning - nice touch. The chef deserves congratulating on both the design of menu and the preparation of the food. Very good on both counts.

The staff were very pleasant and helpful and we cracked a few jokes with the waitresses - good banter and not stuffy in any way. Also had an interesting discussion with the owner and his friend who was a local restaurateur over the merits or otherwise of tripadvisor. (I did say I would post something honest, so here it is).

Although as a group we only spent one night here we would have no hesitation in coming back or recommending it to others.

Room Tip: Just ask for what you want when you book.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 21, 2011

I usually avoid 3-star hotels but Crooklands Hotel was used by the tour operator on a tour of Lake District gardens. It was tolerable. The food was excellent. The service was friendly and gracious. Furniture and bathroom fixtures in my room were updated and adequate. However, my ground floor room was musty with the only window looking out on a garden of weeds, an area that could be dressed up for a better view. Carpets were stained throughout the hotel. WiFi in the room was not working upon arrival but after a lot of discussion, one of the staff was able to get it fixed by later in the evening.

If I were on my own, I would choose a fancier hotel but I would willingly return here and I would certainly choose to eat again at the restaurant.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms may be a better choice.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Stonecross Manor Hotel
#7 of 13 in Kendal
Lyth Valley Country Inn
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Crooklands Hotel? Share your experiences!