Kendal Hostel
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Kendal(Kendal)(Great Value!)
$65
Travelodge
All reviewsbrewery arts centrebunk bedsfree pool tableginger catfree tea and coffeelake districtresident dogcommunal kitchentrain and bus stationdrying roomcommunal areas aregreat kitchencooking facilitieswood burning stovethe location is perfectenjoyed my stayliving room
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed here whilst undertaking John O'Groats to Lands End. Very welcoming and staff very friendly, they even sponsored us!
Had a room to ourselves (2 of us) which was great. Yes, I would stay here here again if in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank trigger1624
Reviewed September 15, 2013

First of all I must say that the place itself was nice, spacious and clean. Great location and parking at the back. Nice staff especially Paul!
However I have no option now to tell you what a nightmare we had with the owner Jan. We were booked into a room that didn't exist, couldn't contact Jan to sort the problem out and it was left to her staff to try and accommodate 15 people. This they eventually did but failed to provide enough pillows and duvets for all our party. We were told via email that we could use the outside area for food and drinks but we were moved on and threatened with the police because the land didn't actually belong to her but to the brewery next door. We cleared our things and went to the communal dining area to continue with our night, playing a few games and chatting within our groups. Jan then moved us for a second time because "the sound travels" so we again cleared up and went to the communal area downstairs which we had mostly to ourselves. At 11.30pm Jan requested that we all wrote our names on a piece of paper "in case of fire" some of our party had already gone to bed and because we had previously been threatened with the police we weren't sure if this was a good idea, Jan said that it didn't matter if the names were our real ones she just needed a list to count numbers should there be a fire. We agreed and wrote 15 names down. We thought that was the end of it. How wrong we were. In the morning after we'd had breakfast Jan said in the kitchen that it was easier for her staff to just wash everything up in one go at the end of breakfast. We thought this was a wonderful idea so left our plates in a pile and went to get ready, however Jan then told us she was phoning the police (again!) for leaving a mess everywhere, not washing the pots even though she told us her staff would do it and apparently causing problems. We had to leave right away but she then locked me and my partner out of the room and stood there with the key refusing to open the door saying that someone from the room (which was up a flight of stairs and had no way of seeing/hearing us) would have to let us in! We packed and left very annoyed by the way we had been treated and I'm sure the rest of the party will be on here giving you readers their experience of Jan, her false promises and hostile service.

As a final note I must say that we were a group of family and friends saying goodbye to two very special people as their careers in the RAF take them away from us for long periods of time. We were not a rowdy bunch of kids getting drunk and being stupid. We all have responsible jobs and some have children off their own. Threats of the police for reasons made up in Jan's head did not sit well with us but we would have welcomed the visit so we could show them the emails she sent assuring us our stay would be everything we had booked and that she had not provided. We did tell her that we wouldn't be paying for a non existent room so she said she would take the money out of her staffs wages. Horrible woman.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank Victoria S
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed here on Friday in order for a friend to swim a two way Windermere on Saturday. Wonderfully warm welcome, our room (room 3) we were lucky enough to have to ourselves, I had the double bed which was surprisingly comfy and not what you usually expect from a hostel. The common areas were well equipped and cosy with free pool, book exchange and free tea and. Coffee. the free wifi was an unexpected bonus and certainly came in handy for keeping in contact with friends and family and organising the trip. The hostel is ideally located on the Main Street in Kendal for any shops or restaurants you may want to visit and if you venture down the alley way you will find the most wonderful bar/restaurant/ beer garden which is an ideal place to sit in the evening and look out at the view of the hills (if you sit on the terrace at the top of the stairs.) All in all I would definately recommend this for anyone looking for somewhere to put their head down for a night whilst exploring what this part of the lakes has to offer.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Bethlj87
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This is my second visit to Kendal Hostel and it truly felt like visiting old friends. Jan was fantastically good about arranging my booking and Kristina made me feel so welcome when I arrived. I even got placed in the same room I was in last time, whether by accident or design, this just made me feel so much more relaxed.

Since my last visit Kristina has added a beautiful wood burner to the common room which made it the perfect place to flake out after a couple of gruelling days on the Fells. Chatting with an American guest the same evening, he concluded its a "fantastic hostel" and I have to agree. It just keeps getting better.

Had dinner and a few beers in the adjacent Brewery Arts Centre, which is one of the great pluses of this hostel's location, along with the fact its only a 15 minute walk from Kendal Station.

Will definitely be back again, the Kendal Hostel is starting to feel like my home from home.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank David P
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Kendal Hostel is a former YHA hostel that was sold off and is now an Independent Hostel. We had stayed there a few years ago while it was still a YHA and since then the feeling is that it has received a lot more TLC. New carpets, new, stylish tables and chairs in the dining room and not least, new and very comfortable mattresses. (When will the YHA understand that it just isn't attractive to sleep on mattresses that are all of 2 inches thick?) The bed linen was of the highest quality and superbly laundered and ironed.

The acting receptionist was incredibly welcoming and friendly and, since the hostel was pretty empty, put my partner and I up in a dormitory that could sleep 7 (although it was empty except for us) because it had an en suite. Very nice of her.

The kitchen was well equipped (although it didn't have a freezer) and was very clean and tidy.

All in all, very much worth the £18 per person it cost us.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple