“over priced”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Leeds, United Kingdom
“over priced”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is good for the pool and leisure facilities and its location. but sadly that's where it stops.

The family room we stayed in was a nice size, (308) but the view of river is let down by condensation between the panes of glass and the draft coming in the the closed??? windows.

The service in the restaurant was poor it was cold, we were left waiting a long time for our food, never got asked if we wanted a drink and when the food arrived it was bland and not very warm

Also the choice on the over priced menu was very limited

For the money you could do far better

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Stuart H
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
We did not enjoy reading this review at all, as we find we are very competitively priced, and generally better priced than similar hotels in the area. We were obviously not the hotel for you, but we thank you for your feedback nonetheless.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife, son & I had a very pleasant couple of nights stay at the Riverside Hotel. The staff were helpful, the room nice with a view of the river and a good breakfast. We also enjoyed the swimming pool, sauna & steam room.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us and mentioning our staff too; they appreciate it! We are further pleased you enjoyed our amenities, including the leisure facilities. We hope to see you again.
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed at the riverside hotel for one night on our way to Scotland. Once we found it through the one way system found it a nice place to stay great views of the river,clean and large family room.we ate at the hotel in the bar the food was very good local produce my only fault was I had mussels to start and was served two that had not opened and it put me off a bit but the steak I had although a bit expensive was first class my husband had the mixed grill which he really enjoyed. The staff were very nice and helpful. I liked the character of the old building, enjoyed our visit and will stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
We really enjoyed reading your review and thank you for your stay as well. Thank you for mentioning our staff too. The building does have a nice character that I am happy you picked up on as well! We will look forward to welcoming you back one day soon.
UK
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I just want to say thank you to the staff at the Riverside hotel. I was traveling alone, and after the recent death of my mother, I just wanted a small break on my terms. My terms were helpful people, but with no undue fuss. I was really surprised by the very helpful and friendly staff - yet, they were not "in your face", nevertheless I felt that they were there for me. I ordered room service for dinner and breakfast - this was fantastic! The food was really excellent quality and the service was truly great. The food arrived to my room on the dot and it was just perfect. I ate it all! Room service cost a couple of pounds more but it really was worth it. Nice table to eat from too. About a year ago I was in Tel Aviv on business and ordered room service there because of work - the food there was also great but the service was, in comparison, tardy. The room at the Riverside was better than I had imagined. Really very spacious, very clean, nice fluffy pillows, with a lovely view over the river. I was up early and the dawn was a very lovely sight. While I was there I needed to get work done which I did with ease because of wifi - but I still felt very rested and very looked after.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to overlook the river which is a plus!!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your 5-star review. We are pleased we could offer you a break on your terms after your tough time recently. We are pleased to read everything went well for your stay and hope you are able to visit us again. Thanks.
dewsbury
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Stayed at this hotel twice before and we were always very pleased with the room and service from staff.However this trip was the best of all.We got room number 2 which was on the ground level near to reception.The room was very spacious well decorated and overlooked the river. The evening meals were very good and well presented. The breakfasts were good and if I had a slight criticism it was that it was not organised the best it could be and was a little bit free for all but all in all very satisfied and would definitely go back

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review and wonderful comments about your stay. We are pleased you enjoyed room 2's size and view as well. We are working to make breakfast a smoother operation and think if you were to return you would notice an improvement. Thanks again.
shropshire
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Thank you for a nice break. We had a family room (double + single bed) - good sized room on the ground floor. Everything clean and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The bar meals were good, as was the breakfast. We would stay again, good place to stay for exploring the south of the Lakes.

Room Tip: we had a ground floor room, so could hear occupants above, (but that would apply to most places) apa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for choosing to stay with us and posting this nice review. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay and that you would stay again. We hope the next time you are looking for a good base for the south Lakes that we will see you again. Thanks.
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed on a Saturday evening and it was the only central hotel in Kendal with rooms available. Our room was very clean and spacious, with lovely decor. Staff were friendly and helpful. I tend to agree with other comments on here re. the CCTV of the pool area displayed 'in your face' at the reception desk and the warm temperature of our room. We couldn't fault anything else. We were surprised at Colin T's comments on here ..there was an 18th birthday party in 'full swing' when we stayed. Our room was only a level up from the function room, but the event did NOT impede our stay. In fact, I passed some of the teenage party goers on the stairs, as they were waiting for their lifts home. They were highspirited, but were also very courteous and friendly. Meanwhile the receptionist was very attentive and I'm sure if there had been any bad behavior or unnecessary noise levels by ANY of the guests OR non.residents, that it would have been dealt with by staff appropriately. Our only regret of staying here, is that our vacation was not long enough !

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review and 5-star rating, we really appreciate it. You are quite right about the 18th birthday party, it went off without a hitch! We are also addressing the CCTV issue and it will be changed this week, mainly due to the comments from guests on here so thank you for your help.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Premier Inn Kendal Central Hotel
#4 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Stonecross Manor Hotel
Stonecross Manor Hotel
#7 of 13 in Kendal

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!