“exellent little retreat”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“exellent little retreat”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My girlfriend and i Stayed at the riverside 8th-9th july.We had origionally planned to stay in windermere but it was fully booked so decided on kendal.Im so glad we did as windermere was so busy during the day it was great to escape and only a 15 minute drive away.Upon arrival the hotel is situated overlooking the river which was a good start.The receptionist was very friendly with a welcome smile.We were given room 4 which was down a few steps,clean and tidy overlooking the river again.Room was spacious with a nice comfortable bed and a tv on the wall.The area has some great little pubs and restraunts(if you like indian food the mumbai is higly reccomended)5 minutes walk from the hotel.Breakfast time was very good.The staff although very busy were very friendly and welcoming.Lots of choice for breakfast so if you dont like the full english there are cereals or yogurts.We have decided to go back and will be booking this hotel again....Great weekend !!

Room Tip: We stayed below reception level which is practically in the river.Not complaining but will be asking...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christoff1981
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are in a great location to be able to visit Windermere, by train, bus or car. Kendal has a bustle about it as well, as you mention, with its great restaurants and shops, etc. Thanks for mentioning our friendly staff too, something we are well-known for! I'm also pleased you enjoyed your meals with us and that you will return on your next visit. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had probably the worst experience of dining that we could have ever had! We had not been to the area before and it looked charming by the river. Being new to an area, the rule of thumb, when dining out it is advisable to utilise the larger places on the first night as these tend to have every part of what is an expensive part of your evening delivered correctly and in a professional manner.

We received from our waiter, what amounted to be the rudest, non professional service at all levels we have ever had! with dinner for two people costing over £60 I was expecting something aligning its self to this kind of cost. I was sadly mistaken, rude, non apologetic, not interested, unthoughtful, ignorant and damn right disgraceful! The food was mediocre, but the service from both the bar and the restaurant was a disgrace.

I will never use this restaurant again and will ensure that my-company, my business associates and friends will be informed to avoid this awful truly awful unfriendly place! I was informed that there are 3 in the chain of this hotel, I will certainly make sure we never use any of them in the future for business accommodation or other!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Marcus x
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2013
This was a surprising review to read considering the reviewer spent over 2 hours in the restaurant and bar, ate their entire meal and continued to order things in the bar after their meal. Nothing was brought to the attention of management or staff, only well after the fact was mention made to the receptionist on duty; at which point she apologised.

It is quite clear based on other reviews and from daily interaction with guests that our staff are excellent. They are professional, friendly and experts at offering terrific service.

We will continue to offer the excellent service we are known for and if it happens that someone is dissatisfied and brings it to our attention, we will, of course, do everything we can to make it right.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 1 night with 2 children and 2 dogs. The room was fantastic and didn't feel cramped at all. It had a lovely view over the river and we enjoyed a very tasty meal in the bar in the evening. It's the first time we've stayed in a hotel with the dogs, we normally do caravan holidays, but I would highly recommend the Riverside. Really friendly staff too. Looking forward to our next stay

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Julie H
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Thank you for this wonderful 5-star review. i'm pleased your whole family enjoyed themselves (including the dogs of course!). I'm happy you will be making a return visit in the future!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I expected a little bit better than we found, based on the previous reviews here. We had a room for 4 (2 adults, 2 children) and that meant one bed was a roll-away set up for us. When we got to our room it was already set up, which was great, but I actually felt sorry for my daughter sleeping on it. The mattress was more or less like a piece of packing foam -- very thin and flimsy -- on wide slits below, so you could easily push your elbow or foot right through the slats. The overall hotel felt run down to me. We had breakfast in the hotel in the morning and the staff was so overwhelmed that we had to wait and ask for silverware, napkins, tea, etc., which came in a hurried rush without a smile. I felt sorry for them, but at the same time, it's not really unreasonable to ask for those things at a self serve buffet. I just got the overall feel that this hotel has seen better days. Nothing terrible, but wouldn't go back there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BostonTravellingMom
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
This review was disappointing to read. I do apologise that we didn't "wow" you. Obviously this is not the type of review we are used to getting, but it will help us rededicate ourselves to providing excellent service in a friendly and relaxing environment. We are always working to keep the hotel a great place to visit and that will never change. Thanks again.
Mt Prospect, IL
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Hotel has a very good location. Close to M6 and walking distance from the train station and the City center and yet very quiet. . It is on the river (as its name implies) in an old mill/factory building. So don't look for some modern building. This setting gives the hotel its charm. The rooms are quite large and well appointed. As noted by others the staff is very friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast is good. It is varied and plentiful but not cooked to order. It is served in a dining room that overlooks the river.
We did not have a strong wifi signal in our room as it was on the 3rd floor away from the reception where the router is. But the bar area which has tables and comfy chairs has both power and strong wifi signal.
All in all, we would recommend this hotel as your base to explore the western side of the Lake District

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FSYMP
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thanks for staying and posting this nice review. The building is an old tannery, but inside has all the amenities you come to expect in a modern hotel, as you know. We hope the next time you are visiting the Lakes, you will think of booking with us again.
Houston, TX
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I recently traveled to Kendal (by way of Manchester) and stayed at the Riverside Hotel. I was there on business and the hotel was very convenient to my office. It was rather ideal, actually, as it sits about halfway between my office and the center of town where most of the shops and restaurants are located.

I had two meals in the restaurant (dinner and breakfast) and found the food to be pretty good. Typical buffet style in the morning with all of the classic English staples. Because it's a buffet, try and time your visit during a busy part of the morning when the staff is rotating fresh items to the steamer table. My last night in the UK was spent at the Radisson next to the airport in Manchester and the breakfast buffet there was horrid in comparison.

Dinner was ordered off of the menu along with one of the local micro-brewed lagers. I liked the meal very much. Not a 4 star quality experience by any means, but if you don't feel like heading out into town in search of other fare, the in-house restaurant should be fine. You can also grab a bite in the bar downstairs.

Finally, the spa/gym facility was clean and not too busy. They have an in-door pool along with most of the typical cardio choices.

My room was clean and comfortable if a little worn. The place could probably stand an update with some new paint and new carpet. I did have a very nice view of the river. My only real complaint is the thin walls. The people next door stayed up until midnight with their TV on nearly the whole week. I'm a light sleeper and on my first evening, I passed out early due to the jet lag. I was woken up by the sound of their television at 11:30 PM and struggled to fall back asleep until they turned it off.

I will be making future trips to Kendal and I'll likely stay at the Riverside again, though I'll ask for an end room if available.

Room Tip: Choose an end-room if possible. The walls are a bit thin and you don't want to be book-ended by...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm happy you will consider us again for your next business trip to the area. We do work very hard to make everything just right for guests, so the next time you book do ring up or e-mail any requests and we'll be happy to help! Thanks again.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The riverside is in a lovely location with rooms overlooking the river. The staff were friendly and very helpful and the facilities were great. Would definitely recommend and would stay again. Booked via booking.com and got a really good deal.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank TREE4d
Hi and thanks for your review. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your nice comments about our staff. We are in a fortunate location on the River Kent, for relaxing on our terrace and maybe spotting an otter or two! Thanks again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Crooklands Hotel
Crooklands Hotel
#2 of 13 in Kendal

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!