“Wonderful short break!”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed March 22, 2013

What a super place for a break! Beautiful location right on the river with lovely views. Excellent spacious room, where everything functioned as it should- rare in our experience of hotels! Excellent food in both the restaurant and the Tannery and first rate service with a smile from all the staff! Free and convenient car parking - another bonus not usually offered in town/city hotels.
I do not usually write reviews but wanted to share our experience. It will probably backfire as The Riverside will always be fully booked and we ll not be able to get a reservation! But we would love to come back in the future! Thank you.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank bestmate007
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Thank you for this wonderful, 5-star review and for your recent stay with us. Everyone is very happy you enjoyed your stay with us including your accommodation, location, and food. Thanks also for mentioning our friendly, efficient staff who make a stay at The Riverside Hotel such a great experience! I am sure we'll be able to fit you in the next time you'd like to visit! Thanks again.

There are newer reviews for Riverside Hotel

Reviewed March 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on Feb 14th and 15th when some heavy snow followed by heavy rain arrived. Kendal went from picturesque to swimming all within 24 hours.
Anyway we were in room 302 I think it was which over looked the river and is about 20 or 30 metres from the bridge.
The room was fairly average considering the hotel website claims that a £20m refurbishment was completed in 2010. It wasn't dirty but it did feel like it needed some tlc and a good spring clean.
The window didn't fit and was stuffed with toilet paper to stop the draughts and rattles.
The bed was a standard size and not very firm so neither I or my wife really got any decent sleep while there.
The noise from the road wasn't to intrusive but we were aware of it all of the time.
The staff were helpful and friendly and the restaurant and tannery bar were very pleasant.
We used the swimming pool while we were there which was fine as was the sauna and steam room.
Meals were fine as well.
Can recommend the little Italian restaurant called Infusion which is about 200yds across the bridge in Stramongate. It's small and friendly with great food. We hadn't booked but they fitted us in on Valentine night without a fuss.

Room Tip: Riverside views to most room. I imagine that if you are over the gymnasium it might be noisy.
1  Thank robert c
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

It was a wintry mix of a Valentine's Day this year wasn't it? Thanks for staying and for your 4-star review! I am happy you enjoyed your dining experience with us and thanks for mentioning the staff as well. I also want to thank you for your constructive comments too; they will be helpful as we go forward. Thanks again.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

We stayed one night B&B, Hotel, room & restraunt were clean and staff were polite and helpful. Breakfast was lovely and had a wide range to choose from (buffet style) Free carpark and the shops are just over the bridge. Nice hotel, would stay again, reccomended!

1  Thank Diane B

Thank you for visiting us and for posting this 5-star review. I am glad you enjoyed our great location, staff and breakfast. Thanks for recommending us to others and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on 22nd February 2013 for two nights on a deal paid for by my daughter as a Christmas present. The hotel was warm, clean and welcoming and the staff were friendly. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant overlooking the river which was quite romantic (even though we are not young anymore!) and breakfast next morning was good with plenty of choice. It is situated on the river next to the bridge into the town which is a 5 minute walk away. There is free secure parking under the hotel and a leisure are with pool. Would recommend this hotel especially for sightseeing around the Windermere area.

Room Tip: We had a lovely room overlooking the river.
1  Thank MarjWigan
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

What a nice review; thanks for posting it. The River View restaurant is quite romantic for the young, and the young at heart so I am pleased you found it to your liking. Thanks for recommending us and we do hope to see you again.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

18.3.13 - Just got home from a great 3 night DBB weekend with 60 others in our Dance Party. Rooms, food, staff, amenities, very good. We had full use of the ballroom for two nights, where we dined and danced. Ideally located, with river views for all and an easy stroll into town. Minor niggle for two of our group - not the best layout for persons with physical limitations. Would recommend it for groups or couples. Having stayed at the Tripadvisor No. 1 hotel in Kendal as well, this one, in our opinion just beats it. The other one is too far out of town. 4.5 stars

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank JS K

Thanks for this great review - especially about us being your No. 1 Kendal hotel! We're so pleased your group enjoyed your "Dance Party Weekend"; hopefully we can host your group again!

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have just got back from a weekend in the Lakes and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Riverside Hotel.The staff we met made us welcome and were always polite and helpful.The hotel itself was ideal with a large 2 double bedded room that was clean and tidy.The breakfast had a wide choice of freshly prepared hot and cold food and the evening meal was also very nicely prepared.The bar prices are very reasonable at £3.40 a pint of lager and wine at approx £15 a bottle.The hotel is well situated for a little walk into Kendal for shopping or restaurants.All in all it was a great weekend and would recommend the area and also the hotel,many thanks to the staff and management
Martyn & Sarah

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martyn S

What a pleasure it was to read this review. Thanks for posting it and for coming to see us. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay, including the food and staff. Thanks for recommending us to others and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed in room 312 from the 1-3 March before we spending a night in Lancaster and the following week at Whinfell Forest. I will start with the plus points first. Lovely hotel and very picturesque. Very comfortable rooms and lovely and warm. Tea and coffee making facilities with plenty of supplies. There was an iron and ironing board in the room too which is extremely useful and a safe in the bottom of the wardrobe. A fan is also available in the room which is great. In the en-suite the large mirror over the sink is a magic mirror(lol) in that it doesn't steam up. The shower is to die for being nice and powerful and lots of lovely hot water, in fact I think it's one of the best showers in any hotel that we've stayed in. The food in the restaurant for the evening meal was very average although in the Tannery (part of the hotel) the food was much better when we ate in there the following night. Breakfast was so nice with the full works available from fruit juices to a full English. The food was excellent and very good quality. The staff were absolutely fabulous from the moment we got there to when we left. The restaurant staff, well they were some of the best I've seen. I was a restaurant manager many years ago and I was very impressed with the quality of the staff they have both in the restaurant and the hotel.
Now for the downside to our stay. Well for me it was our room 312. My husband had requested a quiet room when he made the booking. We were put in a family room although there were only the two of us. Which isn't a problem (not part of the downside) as I made use of the chance of spare pillows. The biggest downside in room 312 is the noise!!!! The room is situated overlooking the bridge over the river. The bridge is in constant use to heavy traffic including lorries which can cause vibration in the room especially the larger lorries. You cannot have the window open due to the noise. The noise goes on throughout the night albeit to a slightly lesser degree. I did manage to sleep but I was woken several times by the noise. I did say to my husband that I hadn't been too bothered when we first were in the room as some traffic noise was to be expected but I can honestly say that it DOES NOT STOP in that room. Both nights of our stay the traffic noise was always there, I was surprised actually just how much traffic goes through Kendal during the middle of the night too. Then there was the noise from machinery that came from somewhere below the room. It was almost like when a washing machine is on spin and the machine vibrates. This happened several times which resembled a small earth tremor in the room. I would definitely stay in the hotel again but no where near room 312.

Room Tip: Avoid room 312 if you like a quieter hotel room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pinkclaire02
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Hi thanks for your review and for staying with us. Thank you for your kind words about our food, location, and accommodation. A special thank you for also mentioning our staff, among the best you've seen will surely bring a smile to their faces so thank you. For such a small town, Kendal does see its fair share of traffic. I apologise if it hindered your stay in any way, but I am pleased you would stay with us again. Thanks!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
#4 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!