“Great winter break”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Kendal
Berkshire
“Great winter break”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

First stayed here a few years ago and enjoyed our stay then. The place has improved since - there is now a large covered car park. Our room looked to have been recently refurbished and was well appointed, clean and comfortable with a lovely view over the river. Dinners were very good and service in the restaurant was excellent - prompt and friendly without being pushy. The dining room's view over the river also offers an opportunity for some comfortable bird watching (I believe some visitors have even been lucky enough to see otters). Used the spa facilities on our third night and found them clean and relaxing. Generally, if you can take advantage of one of their special offers, it is a good place for a winter short break.
Only downside I could mention is one they can't help and that is finding one's way there through Kendal's incredible circuitous one-way system!
As an old building, it will almost inevitably pose some problems for those with mobility problems and this should be taken into consideration when booking.

Room Tip: A room with a river view is nice
2 Thank Ros052
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for posting this review. You bring a nice perspective since you have stayed with us in the past and I am pleased that you enjoyed your break with us; in particular the leisure facilities, accommodation and location. Thanks for mentioning the staff as well. Maybe the next time you visit you'll be lucky enough to see the otters; they have become quite frequent visitors! Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
sleaford
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights on a B and B basis with one evening meal included. It was a deal the hotel gave us which matched the Groupon deal that has recently been available. At only £139 for the 2 nights plus an evening 3 course meal, you really cannot go wrong. The hotel is a bit tired, needs a lick of paint and some tidying up. But the staff, especially in the restaurant are great. Pleasant, helpful, friendly in fact everything you could want. Food is ok, not great or high class, just reasonable and plentiful. Breakfast was pretty good and well cooked, the included evening meal had 3 choices for each course and the restaurant is superbly placed overlooking the bridge and river. A lovely place to eat especially at night. We did try to have a drink in the bar after our meal. We stood and waited but as no one came to serve us we didn't bother!
Our room was large and had a great shower, one of the best in our opinion. However it was a bit tatty around the edges; a drawer fell out and the bed, though large, was rather uncomfortable.

We didn't have time to use the gym or pool, but access to them was included in the price, as was free parking. Given the superb location, close to the centre of town, the quality of most staff one can overlook the negatives. So at the price we paid we reckon that this was a great deal.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and ask what sort of deal they will do for you.
2 Thank thehun01
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am very pleased you found us to be good value for money, especially for the area. I am also pleased you enjoyed your meals with us. Thank you also for mentioning our staff; they really appreciate a kind word in the reviews. Thanks again and we hope you will visit us again.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband & I stayed here for 2 nights in early March to do some walking in the Lakes, and after a few hours' walk nearby we checked in, to find a rather ordinary room that was very cold. The receptionist advised us to adjust the temp setting on the radiator, and also that the heating system was on a timer and wouldn't be on until 5:30 p.m. (another hour). As it turns out, the chill was more due to the fact there was a large gap between the window sashes which let in the cold, then to the meagre output of the radiator - and as the duvet was small for the size of the bed, we felt chilly for the entire stay. The room was reasonably clean (except for the mildew in the bathroom), the towels were pretty basic and a facecloth was not provided. The breakfast was mediocre: the hot food is not cooked to order but is served buffet-style so we just had cereal on the second morning. The Riverside is essentially a budget-style hotel and if you are aware of that you won't be disappointed.

2 Thank MrsHacre
I was disappointed to read this review as we are in no way a budget-style hotel. We regularly get feedback from guests about the quality of our staff, food, accommodation and leisure facilities. I apologise that we were not the hotel for this guest, but must say that their experience in no way reflects the true character of the hotel.
Linlithgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We arrived at 2.30pm on Sunday 24th February to be told by receptionist no.1 our room wasn't ready, and we should wait 20 minutes. After sitting in reception for 45 minutes and noticing many dogs had been taken upstairs by their owners, I became concerned because my 8 year old daughter is allergic to dogs. I asked receptionist no.2 if they had dedicated rooms for guests with dogs to be told no they did not. I explained my concern that my daughter could not use a room previously used by a dog, and she said she would try to find out if this was the case with our room. She returned to say the room was ready and asked me to sign the registation form which clearly recorded our booking was for a family room for 2 adults and 2 children.

We made our way up three flights of stairs to our room (203) to discover it was made up for 3 people not 4. I can understand someone missing the 4th cup or 4th towel, but how can you miss a bed!! I went back down the 3 flights of stairs to reception to request a bed for my daughter and was assured they would bring one quickly. I went back upstairs to collect my family and we made our way back downstairs to use the leisure facilities. While passing reception I asked that as well as supplying the bed for the 4th person, they make sure they also supply the other missing items such as towels. Receptionist no.2 was clearly not happy at this suggestion and she huffily replied they would not miss anything, as if it was impossible.

We spent time in the Spa, and although the pool was pleasant, the sauna and steam rooms were not very hot and there was no hot water in the showers in either the mens' or womens' changing rooms.

When we returned to our room at 6pm there was still no bed for my daughter. I trudged back down the 3 flights of stairs to reception yet again and asked to speak to the manager. The lady behind reception said she was the manager so I explained about the missing bed, etc yet again. She promised she would sort matters and by 6.30pm the waitress from the restaurant finally brought the missing bed and towels (4 hours after we arrived at the hotel), but not a 4th glass, or cup, or tea, or coffee or milk. Now we knew we all had somewhere to sleep we went to the restaurant for dinner.

The disappointment continued at dinner. The black pudding starters looked to be left-over from breakfast, battered and recycled for dinner. The childrens' meal portions were tiny. Main courses sounded appetising from the descriptions on the limited menu, but when they arrived my two small, thin slices of lamb were overcooked and my wife's vegetarian pie was all pastry and no filling.

And so to bed. My daughter sneezed and sniffled all night. I have no way of knowing why she had these symptoms, it could have been due to the layer of dust on the tv, it could have been due to a dog staying in the room before us. What I do know is she didn't have any symptoms when she was out of the room and she had a much better second night after taking anti-allergy medication before going back to the room.

Other general points about the room were the heat was very uncomfortable, unbearable at times, and I was not the only guest to comment on this, and there was dust on the TV and tops of furniture.

The only positive of our stay were the breakfasts. The selection and quality were very good and the hard working waitress was attentive and helpful.

When I was presented with our bill by the manager at checkout we had been charged £16 per child per night, for the children to share our room, and presumably to cover the small amounts of food they had eaten. I asked the manager if there would be any reduction in these additional charges to reflect the hassle and inconvenience experienced on our first night, and this request was met with a stoney silence. Not even a refusal, just silence. After an uncomfortable pause I said I would take it as a no, and paid in full.

The location is excellent, next to the river, and just a short walk from Kendal town cenre, and the secure , free carpark was a welcome bonus.

I know this review is very negative, and I don't like to complain, but I make no apologies for warning about their policy not to have dedicated rooms for guests with pets. As a comparison, we spent the previous 3 nights in a Premier Inn, which would normally be considered a budget hotel compared to the Riverside, and everything in the Premier Inn was first class, from check-in, to room, to restaurant to check-out.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Vinny M
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
It is a shame to read this review. I can only apologise for the issues that you experienced; they are not the type of experience we strive to offer here. The extra be was, unfortunately, left off the reservation at the the time of booking; again that is not something that is normally the case. Also, we do have a few rooms that are kept dog-free and had we known at the time of your booking we would have made arrangements to book you into one of them. Regardless, all of our rooms undergo a rigorous cleaning schedule and I will ensure that we rededicate ourselves to it. Finally, regarding the evening meal. Normally we receive such wonderful feedback and I am sorry that you didn't get to experience it.
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Sadly this hotel is very tired and well overdue for a refurbishment. We had paid extra for the Bellingham suite to make this a special occassion however the room was very much a let down; certainly not what I would expect for a room costing over £100 per night and as a consequence spent very little time in it. Most of the seals on the doubled glazed windows were broken which spoilt the view of the river. The mattress was very lumpy and the springs were easy to feel. The furniture was mismatched and the placing of the settee meant it wasn't possible to view the television from the bed. The bathroom whilst spacious was very dated and the grouting between the bottom two rows of shower tiles were black with mould. There was no vanity unit just a stand alone sink with a stained wooden coffee table to one side. There was no shaving mirror. We had intended to make full use of the leisure facilities but decided that given the standard of the bedroom we wouldn't bother. On the plus side the reception and dining room staff were extremely pleasant and welcoming. Breakfast was very good and plentiful. I would not recommend this hotel and I worry that overseas tourists would measure other hotels in the Lake District area by it's standards.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Janet F
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
I thank the guest for the review and appreciate their words about our staff and dining experience. However, I must wholeheartedly disagree that the hotel is tired or overdue for a refurbishment. We offer excellent value for money in a great location with friendly staff and excellent food. It is also a shame they did not use our leisure facilities as those are first rate as well. We appreciate the comments and they will help us to improve going forward.
leaherobo
Reviewed February 26, 2013

The location of this hotel is excellent for the town of Kendal, the views were very good and the spa facilities were enjoyable. I must say the one let down for this hotel was a very unfortunate dinner experience. My partner and I booked a table in the hotel and when we got there there were several other couples and a 40th birthday party. I completely understand it was a party atmosphere, but the group were so loud that people were hurrying through their food to get away. My partner and I are in our late 20's and we were both stunned at how loud the group were and how long they were allowed to be so loud with other people trying to dine. This didn't ruin our trip but it certainly prevented us (and another couple we spoke to) from eating in the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank leaherobo
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thanks for your recent stay and review. I am so pleased you had such a great stay and that you enjoyed our location and top-notch spa facilities. I do apologise if the group in at dinner detracted from your meal. Although nobody complained or said anything, we could still have mentioned to them to be mindful of other guests. I'm pleased you did not allow it to ruin your trip and do hope to see you again.
Skipton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed at the Riverside Hotel in Kendal for 2 nights on a February "special" which included a full 2-course meal for one evening. The room was a good size with a modern en-suite bathroom and everything was very clean. The evening meal and service was very good and added to the enjoyment on our first visit. Breakfast was self-service, but of good quantity & quality. Very convenient location for visiting the town and nearby car park included.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jooles405
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Everyone was happy to read this 5-star review. Thank you for posting it and for staying with us. We are further pleased you found us to be in a great location for visiting Kendal. Thanks again and we hope to see you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!