“no heating”

Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Kendal
County Durham, United Kingdom
“no heating”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

we stayed on 10th november. Rooms are of good size and breakfast was good. Reception staff very pleasant and seek to be helpful. Unfortunately when we stayed there was no heating in room. It transpired there was a boiler problem which affected more than just our room. Staff claimed they were not aware of problem which could not be rectified until following Monday. Receptionist tried to be helpful and gave us opportunity to stay in alternative rooms; one of which was also without heating.

Potentially this a very good hotel but there is a complete absence of management; ;of anyone with the ability to make a decision when a problem arises.In our view hotel should have been aware of heating problem and should have been able to deal with it more quickly

We were very disappointed with this hotel

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank norman m
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your review. The knob on the radiator in your first room did malfunction, it turns out it was not a boiler problem. Regardless, I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by this. The problem has been dealt with. In any event, I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and appreciate your kind words regarding our staff. If you can be persuaded to give us a second chance on your next visit to the Lakes, I can assure you that we will give you our best available rate. Thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Midlands
Reviewed November 4, 2012

the room was spacious with clean bedding but plenty of cobwebs around the window, which was open a little and would not shut. Windows looked out onto the river, and were in need of a good outside cleaning, but with the river immediately outside I presume that is not an easy task. It was ok generally for a 3 star. Upside was that it did have an indoor pool. Downside was it was smaller than it looks on hotel pics, and the life guard was constantly barking out orders to the ever present children that he was giving swimming lessons to. This makes the hotel pool anything but the relaxing place expected in the evenings. If the hotel is going to charge for pool facilities and advertise them, then they should also make it clear that it is not just used by hotel guests. The breakfast was ok, although we are not fans of a buffet hot breakfast (even little chefs serve you at the table). It does not provide a relaxing ambiance with people milling around, up and down several times refetching items that were missing from the buffet. Then again up and down waiting for the filter coffee to refill. Not good for those with small children, the older customers, the infirm or those with mobility problems. I expected the porridge to be better this close to Scotland. We ate in the bar in the evening as the upstairs restaurant was a 3 course menu with little choice, especially for those with children. The adult bar meals were reasonable enough but the child pasta meal was tiny. Portioned for a toddler rather than for a child. We found our nine year old needed a dessert not to be hungry, and yet she is not a particularly large eater. This put the cost up so she might as well had an adult meal. Overall it is what it is - a clean adequate 3 star with a good central location. More for a short break than for a full holiday.

Room Tip: Family rooms are a good size and are groundfloor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thanks for your review and nice photos as well. I appreciate your constructive comments as we are always looking at ways we can improve our guest's experience with us. Overall, i am happy you enjoyed your stay and our location. Thanks again.
Douglas, null, Isle Of Man
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I stayed here for two nights whilst visiting family. We only ate in the bar for our lunch/dinner so didn't get to try out the restaurant until breakfast where we were seen to efficiently with regards to tea and toast, but I am not keen on a buffet breakfast (the sausages were good, though!).
I have an eighteen month old little boy, and we asked for a cot in the room which was seen to on arrival. We came back after an outing to a cot with a sheet, but no blankets? We did enquire at the desk to be told the hotel does not have any- which confused us as to what I was meant to cover him with- a towel? I really do suggest that the hotel pick up on this, as it should be common sense to offer.
Otherwise, I enjoyed my stay and will visit again (with the hope my son has bedding!)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thanks so much for your lovely review. The sausages at breakfast are lovely and receive an inordinate amount of praise for a simple sausage! Regarding the bedding for the cot, over the years we have found that parents prefer to use their own bedding. However, we do have a few spare blankets that certainly should have been provided to you. For this I apologise and will ensure on your next visit that you have all of the cot bedding you need! Thanks again!
Lancashire Cyclist
Reviewed October 22, 2012

An excellent location with good free parking. We stayed for a Fri/Sat night break with the first night meal included. The meal was a nice hotel meal, with a good buffet hot/cold breakfast. Dogs are allowed in the rooms & in the bar area, with a nice riverside walk just out of the front door. There is no charge for dogs, or for using the leisure facilities. Excellent views from the bedrooms & dining/breakfast room over the River Kent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thanks for your great review! How great that you could take advantage of our offer and that you and your dog had an enjoyable break. We are in a great location for river walks and general exploring of Kendal or Lake District and I hope the next time you visit you will stay again.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for just one night at the end of September. Once we had negotiated the confusing one-way system we were able to park the car in the hotels own secure car park. We had a really spacious room with a double and a single bed on the 4th floor overlooking the River Kent. The only downside was the slight smell of damp plaster and water stains on the ceiling where there had been or was a water leak. The buffet breakfast was good and the bar area was laid out with sofas and soft chairs to make it a very relaxing place. The reception staff were very helpful and overall we had a very pleasant but short stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thanks for your review and for the photos you took as well! We all couldn't be happier that you enjoyed your stay with us and certainly hope to see you again in the future!
Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

have looked at this hotel several times, but hadnt booked. booked last minute. also took dog. room on 2nd floor. room 208. really good!! service excellent. food really good.will DEFINATELY come again.

• Stayed October 2012
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thanks for your great review! I am happy you enjoyed your stay and were able to come away with your dog as well! I am also pleased you enjoyed your dining experience with us! I certainly look forward to welcoming you back.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed here for a conference in October 2012 and on the whole enjoyed the experience. My room was clean and well appointed with a view over the river Kent. Breakfast was good too and plenty of it served in the restaurant overlooking the river. The bar area was pleasant with lots of sofas and arm chairs. Car parking was good in a barrier controlled covered car park within the hotel which is located 5-10 minutes walk from the town centre. It is on a one way street in part of Kendal's nightmare one way system and it was difficult to get out of the street when I left at 4pm on a Friday. The leisure suite was OK but the showers were cold and the neither the steam room nor sauna were hot enough for me. I went for a swim but found the pool full of women doing an aquarobics class so I joined in which was fun. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: I liked my riverside view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
What a great, thorough review! I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and even got in a bit of aqua-aerobics! I am also happy you enjoyed your room and your dining experience! I certainly hope to see you again, conference or no conference!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Crooklands Hotel
Crooklands Hotel
#1 of 15 in Kendal

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!