“false advertising”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
“false advertising”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Dreadful, filthy room, filthy furniture, filthy carpets, dead flies and wasps on window sills. Dirty bath, torn bath towels. Filthy scatter cushions on bed. I researched for hours to find a lovely hotel with a pool for our second night stay in the Lake District. First night was Wateredge Inn in Ambleside, lovely. Stonecross Manor's website is extremely misleading. It looks beautiful which is why I booked a suite with a kingsize 4 poster bed and jaccuzzi bath. As soon as we got to the stairs I realised something was wrong, when I walked in to the room my heart sank, it took me back to my youth and bedsit land in London although those bedsits were cleaner than this hotel room. It was 4.30pm and we had to stay somewhere but I could not have sat on this furniture or slept in the bed although I checked that the sheets were clean, I was astonished that the place could be such a polar opposite to the advertising. I explained to the very nice receptionist (only good thing about the hotel) that the room was very dirty, I asked if there were any better, cleaner, more modern rooms, she said no but showed me another room on the 3rd floor which was just a smaller virsion of the awful one we had booked. I said that I didn't want to cause offence but I couldn't stay in this hotel, I said I had researched it thoroughly and it didn't look like this. I asked if there were any hotels down the road that might be better - she telephoned the Castle Green hotel - she seemed to know the staff there, my feeling is that I am not the first person to refuse to stay there. Castle Green is the only 4 star in Kendal. I am not a snob, all I wanted was what was advertised and this was not it. They should be pulled up by Trading Standards for false advertising. My advice is don't go there, it isn't even cheap. I paid the same price £125.00 for the very large twin room at Castle Green hotel. I would repeat, the receptionist was very nice and helpful in finding us alternative accommodation but we shouldn't have had to go elsewere.

Room Tip: if you want a good room go to another hotel
1 Thank dottypower

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Lady on reception, bar and restaurant staff lovely, friendly and polite, we eat in the restaurant, food was good, presentation could be better, wine selection very good, all in all liked it and would go back to eat.
We stayed in the large 4 poster room, bathroom was dirty, tiling was cracked and grout awfull, mastic was dirty and tied, out side was a huge extractor fan running and yes big smell of cooking in room, TV to small for room.
Room rate a little high, But herd great things about the pool area, and I thought the reception looked great as did the grounds.
Breakfast waitress looked miserible and uninterested, was finishing my breakfast before offered coffee, 1 piece of toast and 1 butter per person !!! eggs horrible, dont put them in a bain cook fresh, was like a frizzbie !!
But I would return as the owner is making some great changes and I sure will address these issues,

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TONY K
Sunderland
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed here. I actually won my two night stay this time as a result of filling in a customer survey on my first visit! The staff here are very welcoming and accommodating. Since my last visit, the pool has been refurbished and looks lovely. I didn't have time to use it as I was in the area for my daughter's wedding but my partner spent time there whilst I was busy and said it was lovely. We had a room with a double and single bed on our first night. Unfortunately the double bed creaked every time one of us breathed and we hardly had any sleep. We reported this to reception the next morning and were moved immediately to a room at the top of the building with an enormous king size bed which was so comfortable. There was free wifi in our original room but that did not extend to the second room we had on the top floor. The plumbing was poor on second floor too. Whilst having a shower,the water supply dried up, as someone in a nearby room was also having a shower! The decoration in both rooms looked a little tired although both were spotlessly clean. Breakfast both mornings was good. Fruit, yoghurt, cereals, a good selection of cooked breakfast items all being available. Although this review may seem mixed, I would not hesitate in going back again. It's a more traditional hotel than many modern hotels but has a certain charm and character and wonderful staff throughout.

Room Tip: First floor better for plumbing and wifi .
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We arrived and because of a queue, we waited 50 minutes to check in. Not a good start. A lot of people were really annoyed before they'd even put their bags in the room. The rooms were tired and need updating. Breakfast was a similar scenario to check in, we arrived for breakfast at 9.25 and were seated at 9.51 with no apology, there were plenty of tables, just none made. We then told the waiter that there was no food left at the self service buffet to which he replied 'well it is 9.55' and handed us some cold toast

We couldn't wait to leave

2 Thank Sean M

Travelers are raving about these Kendal hotels

Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel is nice, there has clearly been money spent on the new pool and changing rooms. Howerver the rooms are old and dated. Our room with the four poster bed, has wall paper hanging off and a dirty bathroom. Thank god we won't be spending too long in there. Dinner was VERY good our sever Mano was lovely and catered for our every need and even gave us extra in our deserts ;)

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank AliceMutimer
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed one night at this hotel, the hotel staff were really lovely and couldn't have been more helpful. We ate in the hotel restaurant and really enjoyed our meal. The room was adequate, very clean. I would certainly stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank jenimag
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We booked this hotel so we could attend a family gathering in the local area. The appearance as you drive up to it is great and the reception area with its big leather sofa's and chairs is very welcoming. The room was compact but had everything we needed and offered a wonderful 4 poster bed, a lovely surprise. The leisure facilities are quite new and as such are very modern and clean. The steam room, sauna and pool with its massage jets were just what we needed and the individual changing rooms were great. Check out was at 11am on Sunday which gave us time for a swim before the buffet breakfast which again we couldn't fault. They even had decaf coffee and tea and gluten free bread! We would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to our friends. The rate was the same as the premier inn but included breakfast and parking was no issue at all.

Room Tip: Book in advance - there were no vacancies when we arrived so we were glad we did. Did get some disc...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
County Hotel
County Hotel
#11 of 13 in Kendal

Been to Stonecross Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!