“A relaxing 5 day break in the lakes”

Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed August 23, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for 5 nights in mid July. I believe up until when we arrived it had been a record summer in the lakes with glorious sunshine. The night we arrived it was throwing it down and the following 5 days really helped the resevoir levels I believe! So you'd be forgiven for thinking we'd never consider returning to Kendal no matter how good the hotel. However you'd be wrong. We loved our stay at Castle Green. We were lucky enough to have a front facing room with a balcony and lovely view of rural Kendal. The room while just standard in size was adaquate and the bathroom was a good size. The presentation was very good and we felt right at home. The one difficulty we did have was the first night my wife was too hot with the fleecy like blanket on the bed, this was mostly due to the fact she was pregnant. The following day we discussed the issue with a member of the cleaning staff and they bent over backwards to find suitable bedding. This was not a one off, the level of service we had from all the staff during our stay was second to none. The service gave the hotel more of a family B&B feel than a global hotel chain. The food is another reason to stay. The buffet breakfast is very good quality and the restaurant has a wonderful view of the grounds and hills around Kendal. Other than the restaurant there is Alexanders, the pub in the grounds. I hate to admit it but we ate there everynight. There's a huge menu, a grill board and the daily specials aren't to be missed. It's a very relaxed atmosphere with extremely helpful staff, just be sure to book in advance! We got in the habit of booking the night before just to make sure. We didn't visit the health club which was a shame, but with my wife being pregnant we were about more lesureily activities. To summise, we also read the reviews on Castle Green before booking and we weren't disappointed! We would both strongly recommend Castle Green as a relaxing break.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Lizduncan1, Sales Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2010

Thank you for your posting and your forgiveness for Kendal in the rain! The room that you stayed in is due for a refurb in January so I'm glad you enjoyed what will be an even better room for early 2011. The Pub is fantastic so don't apologise for eating in there every night - but good tip to fellow guests to book in good time to guarantee a spot.

We pride ourselves on our staff so I'm not suprised that our housekeeper went out of her way to provide different bedding for your wife.

We look forward to your next visit with your 'plus 1' - we can provide cots!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,877)

Reviewed August 17, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for one night on our journey back from Scotland.
It was easy to find and in a lovely location. On our arrival the member of staff on reception was very pleasant, efficient and helpful.Our room was clean and comfortable with a view over the garden, and as it happened a wedding party who were having drinks and photos taken on the lawn
We had dinner in the Greenhouse Restaurant- and it was delicious, the best we'd had all week .Service was fantastic
Our only disappointment was the noise caused by wedding guests on their return to their rooms. Our room seemed to be in the middle of some of the guests, which was a pity. We had understood when we booked that there was to be a wedding at the hotel and in view of this we asked if we could be allocated a quiet room.
It did spoil what otherwise would have been a very pleasant stay

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Lizduncan1, Sales Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2010

Thanks for your posting. Please accept our apologies for your sleepness night. We endeavour to to keep noise levels to a minimum by allocating areas of the hotel to wedding guests and regular patrols by our night staff, however sometimes even this doesn't avoid noise disturbance to other guests.

I have forwarded your comments to our General Manager who will speak to our Nights Manager to see if there is anymore we can do to limit any noise levels.

I know this doesn't help your recent stay but hopefully I can tempt you back to the hotel on another occasion to get the full Castle Green experience. Please email me if you wish to return and I can organise a special rate for you. (liz@castlegreen.co.uk)

Reviewed August 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our way home from Scotland, for once in its life our sat nav directed us to the door, which was a bonus. The hotel was holding a Wedding Reception and there were a lot of people there, however there was no problem with any excess noise. The food was excellent and the staff very attentive and helpful.
I would fully recommend staying here and would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your comments. Guests often use the hotel as a stopover to and from Scotland as we're only 5 miles from the M6. Perhaps we can tempt you for longer next time.

Reviewed August 4, 2010

I have given this hotel a good review in the past but find that the al a carte menu portions are now getting ridiculously small. It is a shame because the food is excellent just the portion sizes are getting beyond a joke. A starter of Blue cheese & red onion tart was a flat piece of flaky pastry with said topping but only about two inches square...for £5.75 not good value!
The staff as always were brilliant although the older barman in the Alexanders pub could be a bit abrupt at times.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Lizduncan1, Sales Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2010

Many thanks for your posting - I have passed them onto Head Chef Justin Woods for his comments.

Reviewed August 3, 2010

I stayed here for a wedding, as did a lot of the family and really can not fault the staff or the service, who were courteous, friendly and helpful.

The location of the hotel is really good, as are the facilities, However Parking is not great and your sat nav may well take you into the confrence centre entrance rather than the Hotel entrance.

With regard to the room I would recommend that you ask for a room at the front of the Hotel as the back rooms suffer from noise from the airconditioning units (a real shame) this meant that it was impossible to sleep with our windows open! However the rooms were clean, tidy and adequately furnished, they could however do with a Mini bar.

Breakfasts were excellent but dont be fooled by the self service breakfast there are other options on the menu card which are cooked to order, which included Poached Haddock and poached eggs.

Would I return to this hotel? Yes, but only if I had a front bedroom on the second floor.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments, the view from our front facing rooms is fantastic so I can understand your recommendation - these rooms are due for a refurbishment early next year so they'll be even better!

Reviewed August 2, 2010

Sometimes its unfortunate that a review is negative simply because of factors which are often beyond the hotels control.
Myself and partner booked this hotel via the internet for ourselves and my parents for a single night saturday night stay. It was the advertised facilities that sold it to us; fitness centre,swimming pool etc. Also, the restaurant had come highly recommended and the hotel does photograph really nicely.
Reception staff on arrival were extremely friendly, courteous and helpful, as were all the hotel staff throughout the stay.
However, the aforementioned leisure facilities, pool,gym etc were closed for refurbishment and this was not disclosed to us before booking. This actually was really irritating to me because if you book a hotel for the facilities-you book it to utilise these facilities. If we had wanted a basic B+B in Kendal without the added attractions then thats what we would have booked.
We made a reservation for dinner and once again, the staff were absolutely lovely, the meal was fantastic, and my parents were delighted. I would recommend the restaurant highly. We were informed of the breakfast serving times and we were looking forward to food as equally as good as dinner had been,
However, since none of us had any sleep at all during the night due to the noise of a wedding parties guests returning to and leaving rooms in our corridor, banging doors, shouting, drunkeness etc breakfast was all a little bit of a comatose daze.
It wasnt just 'disturbed' sleep, it was completely, thoroughly awake all night non-sleep.
OK, it was a wedding, of course theres going to be noise and celebrations but it was exacerbated by the worry of my elderly parents not getting any rest either.
I understand that the hotel staff were trying their best to keep noise levels down, and this complaint is not aimed at them at all, except to say maybe in future more planning could be involved when allocating bedrooms to wedding party guests.
As a review, its gauged by the experience as a whole, which was disappointing-and should not be viewed as attemtpting to put future guests off.
We'd stay again definately, but only after checking the facilities were open and available and there were no wedding parties booked in!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry that your sleep was interupted by other guests on the night you stayed. We do endeavour to keep our wedding/function guests in one part of the hotel but sometimes it is difficult when guests have special requirements that prevent us from doing so.

With regards to the Fitness & Leisure Club being closed we haven't done any refurbishment in this area which involved closing the club since March 2008 and then we were careful to ensure all websites were updated and all guests knew this facility was unavailable. If you can provide further information for me to check I'd be grateful - liz@castlegreen.co.uk.

Reviewed July 26, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for the 6th year running and I am never disappointed. This is a fantastic place to stay and tour the lake district only 8 miles from windermere and Boness. If you want a room with a view ask for one looking at the front lawn there are rooms with balconies and ones with just a window but you will not be disappointed.
There is a pub in the grounds which offers pub style food or if you prefer there is an A La Carte restaurant in the hotel.
The breakfast will keep you going all day with the choice of food on offer.
There is also a great leisure cemtre where you can relax and cgill out.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your comments - we pride ourselves on our food, particularly our hearty Westmorland breakfast. Here's looking forward to seeing you in year 7!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
1 mi away
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!