“Lovely hotel with fantastic food and very friendly helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection

Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Kendal
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel with fantastic food and very friendly helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel on our way home from Scotland, for once in its life our sat nav directed us to the door, which was a bonus. The hotel was holding a Wedding Reception and there were a lot of people there, however there was no problem with any excess noise. The food was excellent and the staff very attentive and helpful.
I would fully recommend staying here and would stay again.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Lizduncan1, Sales Manager at Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, August 20, 2010
Many thanks for your comments. Guests often use the hotel as a stopover to and from Scotland as we're only 5 miles from the M6. Perhaps we can tempt you for longer next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lancashire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

I have given this hotel a good review in the past but find that the al a carte menu portions are now getting ridiculously small. It is a shame because the food is excellent just the portion sizes are getting beyond a joke. A starter of Blue cheese & red onion tart was a flat piece of flaky pastry with said topping but only about two inches square...for £5.75 not good value!
The staff as always were brilliant although the older barman in the Alexanders pub could be a bit abrupt at times.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lizduncan1, Sales Manager at Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Many thanks for your posting - I have passed them onto Head Chef Justin Woods for his comments.
Milton Keynes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

I stayed here for a wedding, as did a lot of the family and really can not fault the staff or the service, who were courteous, friendly and helpful.

The location of the hotel is really good, as are the facilities, However Parking is not great and your sat nav may well take you into the confrence centre entrance rather than the Hotel entrance.

With regard to the room I would recommend that you ask for a room at the front of the Hotel as the back rooms suffer from noise from the airconditioning units (a real shame) this meant that it was impossible to sleep with our windows open! However the rooms were clean, tidy and adequately furnished, they could however do with a Mini bar.

Breakfasts were excellent but dont be fooled by the self service breakfast there are other options on the menu card which are cooked to order, which included Poached Haddock and poached eggs.

Would I return to this hotel? Yes, but only if I had a front bedroom on the second floor.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments, the view from our front facing rooms is fantastic so I can understand your recommendation - these rooms are due for a refurbishment early next year so they'll be even better!
Liverpool UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

Sometimes its unfortunate that a review is negative simply because of factors which are often beyond the hotels control.
Myself and partner booked this hotel via the internet for ourselves and my parents for a single night saturday night stay. It was the advertised facilities that sold it to us; fitness centre,swimming pool etc. Also, the restaurant had come highly recommended and the hotel does photograph really nicely.
Reception staff on arrival were extremely friendly, courteous and helpful, as were all the hotel staff throughout the stay.
However, the aforementioned leisure facilities, pool,gym etc were closed for refurbishment and this was not disclosed to us before booking. This actually was really irritating to me because if you book a hotel for the facilities-you book it to utilise these facilities. If we had wanted a basic B+B in Kendal without the added attractions then thats what we would have booked.
We made a reservation for dinner and once again, the staff were absolutely lovely, the meal was fantastic, and my parents were delighted. I would recommend the restaurant highly. We were informed of the breakfast serving times and we were looking forward to food as equally as good as dinner had been,
However, since none of us had any sleep at all during the night due to the noise of a wedding parties guests returning to and leaving rooms in our corridor, banging doors, shouting, drunkeness etc breakfast was all a little bit of a comatose daze.
It wasnt just 'disturbed' sleep, it was completely, thoroughly awake all night non-sleep.
OK, it was a wedding, of course theres going to be noise and celebrations but it was exacerbated by the worry of my elderly parents not getting any rest either.
I understand that the hotel staff were trying their best to keep noise levels down, and this complaint is not aimed at them at all, except to say maybe in future more planning could be involved when allocating bedrooms to wedding party guests.
As a review, its gauged by the experience as a whole, which was disappointing-and should not be viewed as attemtpting to put future guests off.
We'd stay again definately, but only after checking the facilities were open and available and there were no wedding parties booked in!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry that your sleep was interupted by other guests on the night you stayed. We do endeavour to keep our wedding/function guests in one part of the hotel but sometimes it is difficult when guests have special requirements that prevent us from doing so.

With regards to the Fitness & Leisure Club being closed we haven't done any refurbishment in this area which involved closing the club since March 2008 and then we were careful to ensure all websites were updated and all guests knew this facility was unavailable. If you can provide further information for me to check I'd be grateful - liz@castlegreen.co.uk.
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for the 6th year running and I am never disappointed. This is a fantastic place to stay and tour the lake district only 8 miles from windermere and Boness. If you want a room with a view ask for one looking at the front lawn there are rooms with balconies and ones with just a window but you will not be disappointed.
There is a pub in the grounds which offers pub style food or if you prefer there is an A La Carte restaurant in the hotel.
The breakfast will keep you going all day with the choice of food on offer.
There is also a great leisure cemtre where you can relax and cgill out.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your comments - we pride ourselves on our food, particularly our hearty Westmorland breakfast. Here's looking forward to seeing you in year 7!
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at Castle Green, our 2nd stay in the last 6 months. The swimming pool / steam room excellent. The food is excellent, breakfasts brilliant. The pub in the grounds, Alexanders, serves a great Lamb hot pot for two. The only average rating goes to the location, you need a car to get anywhere, but I guess thats more or less normal.
The staff are excellent.
We will be looking forward to our next stay. !

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Lizduncan1, Sales Manager at Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, July 26, 2010
Thanks for your great comments. Another Castle Green convert!
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2010

I stayed here in July for an NHS student conference. It was a 2 day event with an overnight stay. It was midweek, and I'd say our group of well over 50 people practically took over the hotel!!

I had read reviews on the hotel, and was looking forward to a little trip away from work in a lovely location. I couldn't have wished for a better hotel! We arrived for our course about 8.30am, but we couldn't check in until about 2pm. Our conference was in the function room, which looked very professional. The room was separated by a temporary partition for the exhibitors, and the other half for us to sit and listen to speakers.

Lunch was served on the main restaurant, where a lovely member of staff explained the hot options, or the cold buffet, or that we could have both! I settled for the cold buffet, which was excellent, with a varied choice of quice, rich dishes, coleslaw, salad etc. All was so well presented. Staff were everywhere, clearing plates when people had finished eating, then serving tea or coffee after lunch.

I checked into my room after 2.00pm, and I loved it! I had an amazing view of the gardens from my window. The room was spotless, and the decor was lovely. I had a flat screen tv on the wall, and the cushions on the bed were a lovely touch. The bathroom was very modern, with the best power shower I have ever expreienced! I wish I could have taken the shower home!

At night, we had a meal for all the people on the conference, which was in the function room. What a transformation!! The room looked absolutely beautiful! All the tables were set out, anf the attention to detail was very impressive! Considering it was a meal for a lot of people, it didn't dissapoint. The meal was wonderful! Everybody commented on the quality of the food. The staff serving the food were excellent. I met a lovely man behind the bar called Lewis, who was a credit to the bar team.

After drinking and dancing the night away, we went to the main hotel bar. This bar stays open for as long as you like! Some of my colleagues were there until 4am, but I was slightly sensible, and left at 2am! I hope none of the drunken antics disturbed any of the other guests, but I think the hotel situated everyone from the conference in the same area of the hotel.

Breakfast was the best I have ever had in a hotel, and I've been to a few hotels! I loved the fact you could help yourself to the hot breakfast. It was being refilled as soon as anything was running out, so you never missed out of anything, and it was all hot, not cold in the slightest. You could tell the quality of all the ingredients, the sausages were excellent!

I didn't use the gym or swimming pool, but only becaude of the time between our day-time conference, and getting ready for our evening meal, which was a shame. The pub on the hotel grounds has just been refurbished. As soon as you walk in, you can smell the new wood! It is lovely! Drinksare not too expensive, a pint of lager is just over £3, which isn't bad.

I absolutely loved this hotel. As it's in a big chain, you might think that some attention to detail could be lacking. This is not the case in this hotel. I can also say, I've never seen as many helpful, polite, and happy hotel staff as I have in this hotel. I would love to come back, as a 'normal' guest, instead of a business guest, and bring my hubby!! He wants to visit the hotel after everything I've told him!

I have never written a review about a hotel before, but just felt I had to after experinecing this hotel. There a so many hotels that could learn how run a hotel after a stay here! I would love to come back!!

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
Stonecross Manor Hotel
Stonecross Manor Hotel
#7 of 15 in Kendal
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!