Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Morecambe, United Kingdom
“Great place”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We often stay here, taking adantage of their special offers. It is not cheap ut you do ger great value for money. The rooms are comfortable, with great facilities and wonderful views. Food in both the restaurant and the pub is good. I recomend the pub and warm summer evenings and the restaurant on cooler nights. Last week was our ruby wedding and the staff went out of their way to make is a special evening.
The buffet breakfast sets you up for the day. All food is locally produced.

Room Tip: Ask for a front facing room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Its always great to read a review from a regular guest.

We have just released our half price winter promotion which runs from December to February. Our Sunday Spice offer also continues through the winter months giving Dinner, Bed & Breakfast from £120 per room per night. Further details of our promotional rates can be found on the hotel website.

If you have not stayed with us before, now is the time to give us a try!

Ben Mayou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
oxford
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was staying at the hotel on a training course for five days that took place in the business centre there. The course itself could be quite intensive but the staff made it seem so relaxing. The staff in both the hotel and business centre worked well with the course in providing in room drinks and nibbles during the day and a drink from the bar at night. A list of the menus was left with us so that we could go straight to our meals between courses. The course days were long at 15 hour days and the hotel accommodated this brilliantly even when we were running late and not in the main meal room at the time we should have been.
I now live in the south and was really looking forward to a proper Cumberland curly sausage, when I mentioned this the chef made one specially for me for our evening meal even though it wasn't on the menu.
The rooms were spacious and clean and for once it's a hotel with some water pressure so the shower was good too. There's a spa and a gym here too which other people in the group used and said were good, especially the massage.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Most of all I found every member of staff that I met to be kind, courteous friendly, relaxing and a good laugh, we left feeling they were friends but I must say David in the business centre topped them all.
Than you Castle Green for making a difficult week easy.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
What a fantastic review! Having stayed with us for five nights you managed to get a real flavour of how we operate as a hotel.

I hope that you will decide to return for a more leisurely break in the future!!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Hotel has a restaurant and bar, and a separate pub style restaurant attached. We had a drink in the 'pub' but ate in the main restaurant. Meal was excellent - three menus to choose from - a la carte, set menu and a tasting menu of local produce, but you can chop and change between them.
Food was well prepared and well presented. Staff were very attentive but did not intrude or make you feel rushed. Breakfast was a buffet style, with all the usual selections of hot and cold items. These were continually restocked and fresh. The hotel was busy during our visit, it was a holiday weekend and there were also weddings taking place. This did not disturb our stay, although there was a slight wait for breakfast, however the reception area is comfortable so not a problem.
The pool and spa looked good - not a particularly big pool, but fine for a relaxing dip. Didn't try the spa, but there was a list of free slots at reception so if we'd been there longer maybe I would have treated myself.
I don't know that this would be somewhere I'd take young children, but for a nice break, good food, etc it's well worth a visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review.

We do have three large family rooms and plenty of other rooms which can accommodate extra beds. Most families who stay with us use the hotel as a base for exploring the Lake District without the cost of staying in and around Windermere and Bowness.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

In a good position on outskirts of Kendal. Beautiful gardens. Large dining room. Friendly welcoming staff. Spotlessly presented bedroom and bathroom. Wide choice of food well cooked and presented both at Alexander's Pub and main restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking gardens
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for spreading the word regarding your experience!

We have a very loyal and hard working team of 120 who do everything they can to provide the best possible service and its great when they get to read that their efforts are recognised.

NW England
Reviewed September 21, 2013

First visit here after a very long and torturous day, arriving very late at 23:00 but even so the manager couldn't do enough to help, he even kept food back from dinner so i was fed.
The room was great and very well equipped. The bed was marvellous. The whole room was spotless and a credit to the staff.
It will be my pleasure to return one day.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear ‘Stigmeister’

Many thanks for sharing your experience.

Maybe next time you will arrive a little earlier and get the chance to make use of all our facilities! We have our 2 rosette Greenhouse Restaurant, Alexanders Pub in the grounds, Pulse Leisure Club and 12 acres of gardens and woodland to explore!

Look forward to seeing you again in the future

Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2013

We booked our wedding at the Castle Green for the 17th August 2013. After being seriously ill we decided it was time to get married again and we wanted somewhere special. We also wanted our family to join us by staying at the Castle Green. Trying to negotiate a reasonable room rate for our guests proved impossible and many went and stayed elsewhere. My daughter hosted a Afternoon Hen Tea Party which was fabulous and everyone loved it. One tip though the large table was not very people friendly it would have been better on individual tables.
On our wedding day it absolutely poured down we didn't let it dampen our spirits. The food and service received was excellent. Our family had booked and paid for a room for us "the honeymoon suite" It was 1 am by the time our last guests left us, feeling very tired with sore feet we climbed the steps up to reception which is a killer in a wedding dress and heels. We were met by a very frosty member of the night team. She insisted that we payfor the rooms there and then!! A little strange as I have never had to do that before on check in. I realised at this point my card was in the car, With just having heart surgery it was a long way to walk to the car park> The only money we had was what we got for wedding presents. So feeling slightly humiliated we began opening envelopes hoping we had enough cash. I can honestly say I was downright angry at this point, I had just had my wedding reception spent Thousands of pounds and I was having to go through this. Aftto the er finding enough cash pus using my sons card we eventually got the keys. We walked into the honeymoon suite and it was just a room. There was nothing there to say it was anything different to us booking that room any other day. No petals on the bed, no flowers, no champagne, and no chocolates nothing. Considering how much had been paid for the room it was disappointing. We had thought of just going home as it was full of the joys of our wedding.
In the morning we collected our wedding cake and headed for home which is about a mile from home. Our house was full of family and our little ones wanted to see uncle sid I(he was a figure of a punk in a suit on the cake) It was wrapped in cling film so we unwrapped it and that was when we got the shock. Our cake was wrecked, my figure had benn bheaded, no arms and my husband had one arm missing and no head. The beautiful flowers of the top were destroyed. I was broken hearted the cake had cost us alot of money and it was a car crash. We also seemed to have a part of the cake missing. We contacted the Castle Green and give them their due they investigated how it got wrecked they don't know. I can't answer that either.
If booking your wedding here make sure you check everything in your contract read it and read it again. Make sure you understand what your getting for your money as they say you get what you pay for and that is true here. Don't presume because your getting married you get red carpet treatment as you have to be on a package to get that. Just because you are the bride and groom don't assume you can pay in the morning.
Would I recommend this hotel - I had my hen tea party here I have used the pool etc - No is my answer. I can't go back I feel very disappointed by the lack of compassion shown. Maybe I expected to much on the day, But when every part of your wedding has been so personal and it all gets wiped out.

Please not there is no access from reception to the function suite. It is also a long climb up to get yo reception. My Mum and me struggled. Had I thought about the layout for the disabled members I shouldn't have booked it there. :-(

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Elaine N
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
We have been in contact with the bride and groom regarding their feedback and whilst there are a number of positives within this review there are a number of areas in which we failed to deliver the Castle Green standard. We treat customer feedback very seriously and as such it’s hugely disappointing that on this occasion we did not meet expectations on such a special day. We do receive a huge amount of very positive feedback from our guests which can be seen on this site. However, please rest assured we learn from our mistakes as that’s what drives us here at the hotel.

Manchester uk
Reviewed September 19, 2013

The hotel about a mile outside Kendal is approached up a steep hill. The reception and public seating area is a little sterile, not hospital waiting room domain but heading in that direction. It was a little disappointing on booking in around 3-00 pm to a long standing reservation to be told there were no tables available in the restaurant for dinner(there were coaches in the car parks). We were bumped down to their on site pub. I had a bland mash and something, my wife a sweet and sour. Her meal turned out to be much more exciting leaving her with a tummy upset for the next 48 hours. The weekend hot buffet breakfast was under pressure,the chef busy on special orders let the hot food run out. When refilled hurriedly the food was put out under cooked to manage the queue. This situation improved during the week(no coaches). At all times the restaurant staff were courteous and efficient. The room was pleasant enough however the hair clips and nail clippings at the side of my bed were a bit off putting. The all electric heating heating system did not work,this was fixed when raised with the hotel.
TRAVEL TIP. The car parks appear to have been marked out for those two seater SMART cars, anything else is difficult to get in or out of. If you have access to more than one car bring the smaller one.
Overall not our best hotel experience, will not be repeating.

5 Thank bebb
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

It is always advisable to make arrangements in advance to ensure that you get a table at the time you require in the Greenhouse Restaurant. I apologise if this was not made clear when you made your reservation. Alexanders Pub in the grounds is our second dining option and is equally popular with hotel residents and locals. Therefore it is very unusual to receive such feedback regarding the food served and I can confirm that we have had no other reports of guests being unwell during the period of your stay.

I was pleased to note that the restaurant team looked after you well during your four nights with us. It is however always disappointing to read when a guest has not enjoyed every aspect of their stay. The team work very hard to deliver a quality experience in all areas and on the whole the feedback we receive is very positive.

We do however treat all comments (good and bad!) very constructively and this is certainly the case with the points you have raised.

Ben Mayou
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
#4 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness

Been to Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!