Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Kendal
Leeds, UK
“Very good”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I booked here as I was picking up a mountain bike in Kendal and decided to make a weekend of it mountain biking around the area. Windermere is only a 15 minute train journey away, and you can join the West Coast mainline at Oxenholme station only 5 minutes south. So Kendal is a good base.

The customer service was second to none from arrival to departure. You can use the gym and pool but was a bit tired from biking all day. I was asked if I would like a paper in the morning, unfortunately I got the wrong one I asked for and was still charged for it on check out.

I managed to get a table for dinner in the pub Alexanders next door which is part of the hotel complex, I'd recommend booking in advance as it was busy at 8pm. The gammon steak I had was excellent, one of the best I have had in a long time and again the service was excellent. There's also a restaurant in the hotel so you have more than one choice and don't have to trek into the centre of Kendal which is a 5 minute bike ride or 15 minute walk away. They sell a lager called Lakeland in the pub which was very good and I recommend, but they don't have it in the hotel bar, just the usual suspects.

The breakfast was good with plenty to choose from. They could do with keeping an eye on the sauces though as some inconsiderate moron had thrown a load of yellow sauce (mustard?) in the brown sauce. I can understand they were busy and re-setting tables for new breakfast diners but you need to keep an eye on the food area. There was no sugar on the table for my coffee for some reason so had to ask.

I was going to give an Excellent overall rating but was woken at 7am by a staff member loading a van for a half hour and there was a bit of shouting from the staff area behind the hotel, I would have liked a bit of a lie-in before getting up for breakfast. Take some earplugs.

So a Very Good overall rating is well earned and I'd recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Take some earplugs.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank gecko2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed June 28, 2013

What can I say, another great break at this Lake District retreat. From check in to check out, nothing is to much trouble for the team here. The facilities are clean & tidy always and the leisure club always worth using as the pool is always relatively quiet. A special thanks to Les & the ladies in Alexander's for making each evening great and giving customer service that is second to none. See you all again soon I'm sure! A definite must stay hotel if in the area on business or pleasure, worth it's new four star and Best Western PLUS status!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank jayney1985
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review of your most recent stay. We have been working very hard at improving both the physical product and the service delivery during the last six months. The new four star and PLUS status has been a real boost to the team who are so committed to the Castle Green.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Ps. Alexander’s Pub has its own Trip Advisor page now
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I stayed in the Castle Green hotel in Kendal , Cumbria last week for two nights for the first time.
Using it as a base to tour the Lake District from.
I checked in with my three daughters ages 14,13,11.
The family room I think it was room 231, was big enough to be an apartment ,with a double bed and two singles, plus a sofa, a table and some chairs and a fabulous bay window with a lovely view .

Easily the best family room we have ever stayed in and we have travelled a lot as a family over the past 8 years

The food in the hotel was excellent and we ate in the restaurant one night and the bar another night when we came back late , and in both places the food was equally good.

The hotel comes with a bonus of a nice swimming pool 1.5 m deep all the way around so easy to manage kids in, it was about 20 metres long so fine for a relaxing splash about in.

The breakfast in the morning was also nice with a bit of old style personal friendly service .

The staff were friendly and seemed to genuinely enjoy helping guests

Finally the wifi was free and easy to sign into , very important for teenage girls , so they were impressed by that.

Overall an excellent hotel, the girls and I really enjoyed our stay and would

Room Tip: It has the Best Family room ever ....!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank holidaymaker_2307
Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is our 3rd visit to the hotel and won't be our last! We got an excellent rate for our 2 night weekend stay (£80 per night per person for dinner, bed & breakfast, with a bottle of champagne and box of chocolates in our room on arrival). We had a room at the front of the hotel with a balcony and views of the garden and Kendal. It was very clean, relatively spacious and the bathroom looked like it had never been used! We had dinner in The Greenhouse restaurant both nights; the food was excellent, the wine was expensive but worth the money, and the service was great. We had a good nights sleep both nights despite our room being quite near the function house where there was a school prom (with guests spilling out onto the garden underneath our room) on the 1st night and a wedding on the 2nd night. I don't know whether the rooms have been sound proofed or whether the other guests were extremely considerate, but we didn't hear the usual noises of doors slamming, taps running and toilets flushing that you normally get when staying in hotels. Breakfast was very good, with an amazing selection of food to choose from. The hotel isn't in the middle of Kendal and you can't really walk to Kendal from the hotel, but it's a good base for exploring the Lake District. The only thing I can fault the hotel on is the spa facilities, there is a pool and a steam room (which were very nice), but I think it would benefit from having a sauna and jacuzzi too. Overall an excellent hotel!!! P.S. I like the fact that staff clearly read the reviews on here and respond to negative reviews.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the hotel with a balcony on the second floor for excellent views over...
1 Thank wardy100
What a brilliant review!!

We take all feedback very seriously and do try to respond to as many reviews as we can. We also share all guest comments with every department within the hotel as it is this information which helps us to keep improving.

Hope to see you again soon for your 4th stay!

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Sunday evening stay-over en route Edinburgh - Mid Wales. Dinner B&B deal (phoned up the previous day), gym and pool use included. Beauty therapies also avaliable. Lovely grounds and setting, rooms nothing too special but adequate.

Reception:
Staff and manager very smiley, helpful and friendly. It seemed that any request would not be too much trouble. I was accompanied by a bunch of flowers and was just going to take them upstairs and put them in a glass of water, however I was asked if I would like them arranging, which was very kind, but I said no as they were just travelling again the next day. They suggested that I left them at reception and they would take care of them, and five minutes after arriving at the room they were delivered in a lager glass for a vase!

Room:
Overlooking a bank, so no view but then we hadn't requested one as we were very pleased with the deal. Herbal tea bags requested for room and these were delivered immediately by a waiter. Room comfortable enough, bed good quality, pillows - hmm, one was not enough, two too many. Pillows and matresses need to be matched properly for a comfortable sleep.
Awful hairdryer. one of those one sthat requires a button to be pressed the whole time otherwsie it doesn't work. And when it did the heat settings seemed to have all veered towards the RED HOT, rendering it a useless bit of kit. Have left a note for the room staff to see if they can get it fixed.

Restaurant
Disappointing. Two of our party chose the five course tasting menu, another selected three of the five courses, while I had two starters interspersed with a sorbet and a desert from the daily specials. I think I got the better deal as in the better food. The kitchen seemed to be very busy and we did wait a long time for our food, especially for the deserts following the cheese course. Table was reserved for 8pm and it was 10:30 before we left, the only remaining customers in the restaurant. The waiters did try very hard although it was not quite tip-top service. Breakfast was OK, certainly lots of it and a great selection.

Gym/Pool
Pool is 12.5m long so a decent enough swim can be had, and the steam room has a pretty ceiling light display going on. Good changing facilities. two gym rooms, one with several full sets of weights and benches, mats and swiss balls, three kettle bells (5, 7.5 and 12kg) and various bits of weight equipment plus two rowing machines. the other kitted out with running and cycling machines and a few other usual bits and pieces of gym equipment. no assisted chin/pull up machine though.

Spa
Very busy, so treatments need to be booked well in advance. Nice girls working there but ran a little over time from rpevious customers so this had a knock-on effect. If the essence of your visit is to be relaxed then it's not a good idea to be worrying about the time because you have a deadline for getting away!

Probably hasn't deterred us from further visits though.

3 Thank fishscientist
Many thanks for your comprehensive review. Our ‘Sunday Spice’ rate includes Dinner, Bed and Breakfast for £112 per room. This includes a £56 dinner allowance in our 2 Rosette Greenhouse Restaurant and does have limited availability so you were lucky to get in at such short notice!

I would like to apologise regarding the areas which you found disappointing. I have shared your feedback with the team so they can rectify the areas which fell short of our high standards.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed here on the first night of a 3 day coast to coast cycle ride. Hotel was a welcome site after a hard day! Had a few issues with the guy on reception- niggles with restaurant booking, no alarm call etc. but let's not take away from excellent bar and restaurant staff, great rooms, lovely grounds. Not really in Kendal but that didn't bother us as too tired to venture out!

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Zoe G
Huntingdon and Peterborough, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Spent one night at the Castle Green, Kendal. Lovely meal and service at the Greenhouse restaurant. They managed to move us forward ahead of a coach of people by 5mins! Great service and lovely friendly chatty staff. Jill at recepton was excellent as was the other receptionist. Freshing to have a local at the desk and knows local knowledge. Lovely warm pool. Walked to the ruined Kendal castle to stretch our legs. Nice walk. Room overlooked Kendal town and the view of lovely gardens. A super stay. Hghly recommeneded. NIve pub adjacent to the hotel with several good reall ales.

Room Tip: Tip:Book a room over looking the gardens towards Kendal. Do please enjoy a meal in the hotel's r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,264 reviews
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
#6 of 11 in Penrith

Been to Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!