I booked here as I was picking up a mountain bike in Kendal and decided to make a weekend of it mountain biking around the area. Windermere is only a 15 minute train journey away, and you can join the West Coast mainline at Oxenholme station only 5 minutes south. So Kendal is a good base.
The customer service was second to none from arrival to departure. You can use the gym and pool but was a bit tired from biking all day. I was asked if I would like a paper in the morning, unfortunately I got the wrong one I asked for and was still charged for it on check out.
I managed to get a table for dinner in the pub Alexanders next door which is part of the hotel complex, I'd recommend booking in advance as it was busy at 8pm. The gammon steak I had was excellent, one of the best I have had in a long time and again the service was excellent. There's also a restaurant in the hotel so you have more than one choice and don't have to trek into the centre of Kendal which is a 5 minute bike ride or 15 minute walk away. They sell a lager called Lakeland in the pub which was very good and I recommend, but they don't have it in the hotel bar, just the usual suspects.
The breakfast was good with plenty to choose from. They could do with keeping an eye on the sauces though as some inconsiderate moron had thrown a load of yellow sauce (mustard?) in the brown sauce. I can understand they were busy and re-setting tables for new breakfast diners but you need to keep an eye on the food area. There was no sugar on the table for my coffee for some reason so had to ask.
I was going to give an Excellent overall rating but was woken at 7am by a staff member loading a van for a half hour and there was a bit of shouting from the staff area behind the hotel, I would have liked a bit of a lie-in before getting up for breakfast. Take some earplugs.
So a Very Good overall rating is well earned and I'd recommend this hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Independent, family-run four star hotel situated in 14 acres of gardens & woodland, 5 miles from the M6 & 8 miles from Windermere. Extensive conference & banqueting facilities, recently refurbished 2AA Rosette restaurant, Westmorland Pub in the grounds, health & fitness club and 99 bedrooms including four executive, seven balcony and three family rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Orbitz, Booking.com, Cancelon, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Kendal
- Hotel Castle Green Kendal
- Kendal Best Western
- Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection Lake District