Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
$161
$157
Elvoline
1,957 results
All reviewsgreenhouse restaurantalexanders pubtasting menuexecutive roomthe main hotelhotel groundslovely groundspool and steam roomlake districtlovely hotelhotel barbreakfast staffevening mealrelaxing breakleisure facilitieshigh standardlovely view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Though this hotel is a fifteen minute walk into town it is well worth it. The grounds are stunning and the hotel itself has all of the facilities you would ask for. The staff were very efficient yet friendly. Cant wait to return there

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed one night for business. Quiet and convenient location for visiting Kendal. Polite staff and good value, only a few £'s more than the Premier Inn. Highly recommend the Greenhouse restaurant, excellent food and value for the taster menu. Will use this hotel again for business and pleasure.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank CarterD6
Reviewed May 17, 2013

For a group of 20 walkers coming by car, we chose this hotel because of its location and facilities and value. The hotel, which overlooks Kendal and limestone escarpments to the west, is 5 miles from the M6 and within 20 miles of the different places we planned to walk in. Moreover, it offered plenty of free parking, a rarity in parts of Cumbria, and leisure facilities, which can be most welcome after a day's excertions. Rambling groups, who want more than basic facilities, will get much better value here than in similar hotels the Windermere / Grasmere area.

I could not fault the staff, who were friendly and helpful, and the meals were well presented and tasty to match. Arrangements made beforehand for our group were all in place and our event ran smoothly; perhaps not surprising for a hotel that hosts business events, and for a hotel that has been uprated recently to 4* category.

Car parking is on three levels of the hillside. While you can unload outside reception, handicapped drivers need to check what happens if all parking places near reception are full. I noted that rooms varied in size, but did not observe the views from the rooms.

I would be delighted to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rabyrover
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We used this as a mid point stopover between the Highlands and our destination in the south, it's a fantastic location and I'm pleased we arrived in good time to appreciate the magnificent surroundings in daylight. Parking on a weekend evening near the hotel reception was scarce but we unloaded the car and moved it to the part filled car park further down the driveway, no problem.

The staff on reception were very welcoming and affable, a late checkout was requested to allow us a few hours cycling the following day before continuing our onward journey south, we rode a pleasant loop before lunch up to Windermere, over Kirkstone Pass, alongside Ullswater to Lowther Castle then over Shap and back to Kendal, a beautiful if challenging route given the rain, hail and winds we experienced over the tops!

The rooms (151) are comfortable and roomy with recently refitted modern bathrooms, the settings on the shower controls aren't immediately obvious but I soon found them, it's almost as if they were designed to be approached front on yet are fitted side on which means you can't see them from outside the cubicle, maybe a small graphic adjacent to the taps would help?

Breakfast was served in the Green room which overlooks Kendal and the hotel grounds, there is a self service buffet, additional cook to order choices plus the usual cereal/toast/fruit options, a nice touch was the pre-prepared glasses of fresh and dried fruits served with yoghurt and a selection of compotes, a good idea.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and after staying at 5 hotels in the previous week would rate this as the best, after the week away working it was much appreciated.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Aikone
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stayed here on a Saturday night as part of a Stag do of 12. I found reception to be friendly and helpful and the lady behind the hotel bar was a lovely person. Location of the hotel is great and its a very nice place to stay. I agree with a previous review regarding charging for a newspaper - I don't recall ever having to pay for a newspaper previously at a top hotel? Its not the expense its just a nice gesture to provide a complimentary newspaper. Also I felt parking is tight at the hotel - I do drive a larger than average vehicle but still shouldn't be worried as a guest that my vehicle may get damaged in the car park (it wasnt damaged). I enjoyed watching the FA cup final in the hotel pub. Didn't use any of the hotel spa facilities as I didn't have time but friends said they were very good. My room was nice, shower was great, and bed comfy. In the morning there was a table available straight away for breakfast, I enjoyed the big selection of food items. I'd like to come back to this hotel with my Wife as I know she would enjoy it. I would be happy to recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends