“Greenhouse Restaurant”

Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed January 22, 2013

My husband and I were taken to the Greenhouse Restaurant by family to celebrate my birthday and as a Thank You meal. It was a very busy night but the Restaurant Manager gave us excellent attention and the evening flowed very happily with superb food and wine. The lamb cooked in 3 different styles can be specially recommended but I was disappointed with the panna cotta which for my taste had too much geletine. I look forward to revisiting on an evening of daylight to enjoy a view over Kendal and the Fells and tasting other seasonal dishes and wine.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,893)

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great couple of days spent at castle green lunch and a pint in pub in the grounds of castle green, only complaint was from my husband no skysports to watch the football, followed by us of the spa ,steam room amazing the a beautiful meal in the greenhouse resturant at night. Our room no 163 was spacious kingsize comfy bed, table and chairs and a full bathroom no complaint all looked brand new flat screen tv hairdrier iron ketle everything you could ask for took our own champagne and asked reception for icebucket and glasses all no problem , this is a special place.

Room Tip: OUR room 163 would recommend to anyone great spacious room looking over a side garden very peaceful...
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have just arrived home from a lovely nights stay. We had the spice up your January deal which included bed breakfast and evening meal. We were welcomed by freindly staff and checked in quickly. The room small but big enough for one night stay. Bed comfy and shower room clean. We had our evening meal in Alexanders pub next to hotel, and wow what a lovely meal it was. Staff very friendly and effiencent. We then had a few drinks and relaxed in the hotel bar in front of the lovely coal fire. I was surprised at how quiet it was through night as the hotel was very busy but we hardly heard any noise. Breakfast again was lovely, we got there early and got a window seat so we had a lovely view of the castle. Fantastic night and so relaxing we will be back again soon.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We visit Kendal regularly and usually stay at the Premier Inn. Encouraged by the favourable comments, we decided to treat ourselves by paying the extra to stay here.
The hotel is on a fairly steep hillside, with a private road up to it - beware the blind corner at the top. The reception is at the back of the hotel. There is a small parking area at the top for unloading cases, but the main car park is at the bottom of the site, with a lot of steps up to the hotel.
When we arrived, the receptionist (Jill) was sitting with her back to the reception area chatting with her colleague. The colleague had seen us, but it was a long time before Jill turned round to us. We were expecting the friendly reception that others have described. Instead we found her to be brusque, bossy and distinctly unwelcoming. She told me that the hotel has a no smoking policy, then asked me to sign the box on the check-in form to confirm that I had read the policy. I said she had not shown it to me, and asked to see it. Her reply was "I've just told you that we have a no smoking policy, so sign." I asked again to see the policy and she refused to show it to me. Since we wanted a room, I had no alternative but to sign. So be aware. If you want to get a room here you have to lie.
Our standard room was small and the bathroom was miniscule, although it had recently been refurbished. Because the room was small (as are all standard rooms, we were told) the double bed was tiny in comparison with our own king size bed. The mattress was old and sagged in the middle, and on top of it there was a soft 2 inch think "topper". We found it very uncomfortable.

When I put my wash bag on the hook behind the bathroom door, the hook fell off! When I complained it was fixed within an hour, with the proper fixing for a hollow door. The maintenance man knew that this is a problem throughout the hotel, so why haven't management fixed it.

Breakfast was good, and there were a lot of friendly staff.

We did not use the spa facilities.

We will not be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank John H
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Thank you for your review.

We pride ourselves on offering excellent service and surroundings and it is through honest constructive feedback that we are able to improve how we operate. It is always disappointing to receive such poor feedback. I would like to apologise for your disappointment with the aspects of your stay that you have detailed. I have spoken to Jill who would like to pass on her sincere apologies that she caused such offence. I am pleased to report that all our bathrooms have been fully refurbished in the last couple of years and we are currently working though a programme of replacing the smaller beds for larger five or six foot versions.

We have a very loyal and hard working team here at the hotel and we are very proud to be ranked as No 1 hotel in Kendal (out of 18) on Trip Advisor. We are not perfect and do sometimes make mistakes but given the opportunity we will always endeavour to sort things out if we are given the opportunity.

Should you reconsider your decision to not return please do contact me directly at the hotel and I will personally take care of your needs.

Ben Mayou

Reviewed January 13, 2013

The hotel is a little way out of the town but not too far for it to be an issue if you need to get into town

Upgraded room was good value, away from bar & restaurant so nice & quiet. The room had lovely views over the grounds of the hotel. The room was quite modern & very clean but I felt the reception/bar/restaurant area looked a little dated.

All the staff I encountered were very helpful& attentive

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Boosh12345
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Have now stayed at the Castle Green four times and I think it gets better each time. For the first time managed to get there room with disabled facilities - it was excellent and a lovely room as well. The only improvement they could make for me is making the bathroom a wetroom with a shower chair.

The food in the Greenhouse Restaurant was also excellent - I want to go back just to try more of the menu.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for posting our 450th Trip Advisor review!

Ben Mayou

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Visited the Lake District Nov 2012, and would definitely stay at this hotel again, lovely bar area and restaurant, all the staff are well-spoken and polite. Room service is quick and only a 10% charge on whatever you order. The rooms are nice and the bathrooms even nicer!! They do have a spa that isnt too expensive, however, we were only at the Lakes 2 days so didn't have time for any treatments.

All in all for what we paid, very impressed!!!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
1 mi away
#2 of 13 in Kendal
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#17 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!