“Excellant stay.”

Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed April 30, 2011

My husband took me for my birthday ,Hotel fantastic staff very helpful the location was lovely it was a bit further out of the centre than we thought but it was a pleasant walk into Kendal.I will certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,877)

Reviewed April 28, 2011

My partner and I have just returned from a short break away at this hotel, we were a little dubious after having stayed at other Best Western Hotels, and not been very impressed with them, But the Castle Green Hotel is in a class of its own, From arrival at the hotel with the helpful and friendly reception staff, lovely clean rooms with good views and modern settings to the choice of restaurants, we ate both nights at Alexanders Pub, the food was to die for! and at a reasonable price, just be warned if you have a starter you won't be able to eat all your main course!!!. The staff in the restaurant for breakfast were very efficient and nothing was too much trouble, very friendly and polite, they seem to be all local people employed at this hotel whch we think makes a difference, they are more caring and proud of thier hotel and its reputation. Would defientley recommend this hotel and we will be returning back there again later this year for another short break. Good basefor touring the lakes, nice to come back to a relaxing hotel, and a lovley dip in the pool.

Reviewed April 27, 2011

I booked into this hotel and a little break away for my girlfriend and I. We stayed in executive room 139 and I was very impressed from the moment we arrived! Out room wasn't ready yet but that wasnt a problem and we went to alexanders for a drink and was greeted politely by the bar staff. The room was a great size and was better than we expected. The greenhouse restaurant serves a lovely menu for the evening meal which I advise you try out. The breakfast was set out very well and was also very nice. The whole of the hotel is amazing from the staff to how relaxing it was. Greens spa was also really nice and they are extremely friendly and helpful. They are willing to talk about any of their products with you and guide you to the correct treatment. Overall I thought the hotel and staff was excellent and would recommend this to all my friends and I can't wait to book another trip away here !

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 21, 2011

Having stayed in Best Western properties previously I know that, because they are independently owned hotels operating under the same brand, standards can vary. That said, I am a fan of independents over the 'same-old-same-old' you get with other hotel brands - i.e., you walk in the door and you could be anywhere in the world.
So I checked into the Castle Green Hotel with my girlfriend for one night en route to a 'meet the in-laws and extended family' get-together in Scotland, but I could happily have stayed for longer. That's not a reflection on my trepidation of meeting the in-laws, more due to the fact that the Castle Green Hotel in Kendal is perhaps the best 3* star hotel I've ever stayed in.
Set in beautiful grounds upon the rolling Lake District countryside, the hotel has modern bedrooms and bathrooms and the staff are friendly and eager to help with any request.
The hotel itself has so much to offer including fantastic leisure facilities and it's own little pub on site offering an alternative to the hotel bar and an alternative eating place to the Greenhouse Restaurant.
The meal I had in the Greenhouse Restaurant is, by far and away, the best meal I've experienced in a hotel restaurant - and that includes 4* and 5* properties.
Before setting off on our way the next morning, my girlfiend and I pledged that we would return for a long weekend in the Lakes and will definitely stay at Castle Green Hotel.

Reviewed April 19, 2011

Stayed here for 1 night (which wasnt long enough) along with another couple of friends, great location, easy to get to, the weather was great, which really helped.

Unfortunately, check in was 2pm - we arrived at 1pm, we were unable to check into our rooms, not such a huge problem, but we were told we could leave our bags in reception, but we just left them in the car and went to explore Kendal and surrounding area.

The hotel was fabulous, really nice setting, grounds are lovely. The hotel inside itself looked very modern, all mod cons as they say. Our room was great, with great view over ther gardens to the front, usual layout, well furnished and decorated. Plenty of storage. Hairdryer, iron & ironing board and trouser press, tea making facilities, radio/alarm clock, flat screen TV, individulally controlled central heating.

The bathroom was spotless with a shower cubicle, plenty of soft fluffy towels available and mini toiletries.

There is a restaurant/pub directly next to the hotel "Alexanders" great for an afternoon drink after exploring the area. They also serve a fantastic menu, we decided to dine in there that night, fab meal was had by all.

The hotel itself has a restaurant which we chose not to dine at, the menu looked really good though.

After a fab nights sleep, breakfast was being served in the restaurant the next morning, it was buffet style, hot and cold available, juices, pastries, fruits, toats and tea and coffee was served at the table. They try and source all products from local suppliers.

There is a fintess suitewhich as guests you can use, with a small swimming pool, gym, and spa treatments.

Kendal itself was a lovely wee town, steeped in history, with lots of lanes (or yards as they are known) to explore, loads of shops and boutiques as well asthe usual high street shops.

Windermere was only 10/15 mins drive away, where you can hire boats or go on various organised boat trips on Lake Windermere.

All in all a great stay but too short. Will definately go back in the near future.

Reviewed April 19, 2011

Staff very friendly and approachable. Rooms were a good size, very comfortable and clean. The food from the pub and the restaurant was excellent. Only draw back was distance into town (need a car really).

Reviewed April 10, 2011

We arrived and the first thing we had to do was "climb" from the bottom car park up to reception !!, I requested oxygen from the receptionist !!, it is quite a hike along with baggage etc !....we were given the key to our room which wa s on the ground floor and there was a strong smell of chlorine coming from the pool, on opening the door we were greeted by what I thought was a rather small room overlooking the garden, on looking in the "bathroom" i discovered that there was not even a bath, and the room was so small, it would have been impossible for two people to be in there together !!.....my husband said that as we were going to be out mostly it would be OK !!....however night times were awful !,the bed was too hard, the room was so stuffy, even opening the window did not help !!....I do not even think that the room was cleaned properly !, i killed a fly which was till there two days later !, there were cobwebs on the window frames and mouldy type things on the skirting !....
Breakfast was OK, but nothing "special" !, Alexanders was quite good value and we ate there for the length of our stay.
The position of the Hotel is good, and makes a good base for exploring the area, but the one way system in kendal in awful !.
This is not a cheap Hotel and the facilities are good, but on this occasion i think that we were "short changed".
I should add one thing that really irked me !, right by the entrance is a smokers seat etc all under cover !, well I suffer from asthma and my asthma trigger is smoke so for me this was a "nightmare" every time I entered or left the Hotel !, I think you should think about re siting this to another area away from the main entrance.

Room Tip: Eat at Alexanders !
1  Thank scampdogsquiggs
Lizduncan1, Sales Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2011

Many thanks for your posting. We have a drop off point at the front of hotel for guests to remove their luggage from their cars, check in and then park the car later to avoid the walk from the furthest car park with numerous bags.

From your comments I cannot ascertain which room you were in but I have passed your posting to my housekeeping manger who will investigate - apologies we couln't rectify this during your stay, or move you to an alternative room.

Many thanks again for bringing these comments to our attention.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
1 mi away
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!