Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Travelodge
$78
Official Site
1,974 results
All reviewsgreenhouse restaurantalexanders pubtasting menuexecutive roomthe main hotelhotel groundslovely groundspool and steam roomlake districtlovely hotelhotel barbreakfast staffevening mealrelaxing breakleisure facilitieshigh standardlovely view
Reviewed February 24, 2011

My husband and I stayed for two nights while visiting family in Kendal. The Castle Green was a fine example of a chain hotel - although when checking in, let them know if you have problems with stairs as a lot of rooms can't be accessed by the lift.

The room was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was nicely fitted, but the shower was disappointing with wildly variating temperature!

Breakfast was a completely fine hot and cold buffet, except that on the Sunday (our second day) there was a huge queue for the breakfast. We were told 'just five minutes', but ended up waiting over half an hour. I wouldn't mind too much (queues can be inevitable at a weekend) but so many tables were empty while we waited! Staff weren't clearing them fast enough.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 21, 2011

We had a 3 night B&B break at Castle Green and were extremely happy with our stay as we had been at our previous visit some 10 years earlier. We found the service to be excellent from the reception to the room to the restaurant. All the staff we dealt with seemed happy to be working at the hotel and took pride in their work.
We did not have evening meal in the restaurant but used 'Alexanders The Pub' on site. The pub has a good selection of local real ales and we found the food excellent at reasonable prices.
The hotel is in a good location for reaching many Lake District attractions in a reasonable time.
The only problem we encountered was in the car park. There are a large number of car parking spaces but these become stretched to the limit when there are major functions on at the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Villan64
Lizduncan1, Sales Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2011

Thank you your posting and glad you had a fantastic time - don't leave it so long next time!

Reviewed February 20, 2011

Myself and 3 friends stayed for 1 night and we had a lovely time. The rooms were spotless and very comfortable only issue was the room I had was specifically for people with disabilities and the room met all of my needs but the shower was above the bath i therefore could not get access to it. I feel this should have been a level access shower therefore would be suitable for anyone. I found this rather daft as the whole room is geared for wheelchairs so glad I was only staying the 1 night. We ate in the Alexandra Pub on the lunch time and evening the food was excellent and not to expensive. The staff were really pleasant and nothing was to much trouble. What I really love about this hotel is breakfast is serviced until 11am on a Sunday and check out is 12 which is lovely as most hotels I have stayed in you have to be out by 11am. The extra time in bed was appreciated by us all. There was a good selection of food for breakfast however the chef appeared to be working on his own and could not keep up with keeping the food topped up so we had to wait, but he was very pleasant and polite if you asked for something. Restaurant staff were again very polite and happy to help. Beds were comfortable but you could hear noise from the next room but was not to much of a distraction. We really enjoyed our stay and would go back but for longer and in the summer so we can take advantage of the beautiful gardens. If I had to give any advise to the hotel it would be to have a walk in shower in the disabled room.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends

Many thanks for your comments which I have passed on to the chef and to our managing director regarding the disabled room.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed January 31, 2011

Just returned from the Castle Green Hotel and had a wonderful time. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are spotlessly clean, tastefully decorated and luxuriously comfortable. The food was delicious and plentiful. But I think the one of the most outstanding features of the hotel was the extreme friendliness of all the staff. We will definitely return again.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed January 14, 2011

The Castle Green Hotel in Kendal is absolutely stunning and the staff are truly amazing…. We will most definitely be returning and have told all our friends, family and work colleagues about the Castle Green Hotel!! My partner and I booked the 1 night New Years Eve package and travelled up from London and arrived midday. We were warmly welcomed by the lovely reception staff and the Hotel Manager John Scott, we had a quick check in and was welcomed on the way to our room by every housekeeping member of staff that we came across. We were issued with an itinerary for the evenings events, which was extremely helpful and on this we saw that we would get a professional photograph taken just before dinner and that we could collect it in the morning which was such a special touch. The room was extremely clean, spacious and the bed was so comfortable. The bathroom was spotless and everything in the room was perfect.

At about 3pm we went down for the buffet lunch where there was also entertainment from their resident magician David Lancaster. The restaurant and bar staff were again extremely welcoming smiling and talking with their guests really showing that they care. The magician was circulating amongst the tables conducting magic tricks and I can honestly say that he left my partner and I speechless at his brilliant tricks… what fabulous entertainment! We then went back up to our room to get changed and ready for the 5 course Gala Dinner. We arrived at the bar for drinks before dinner and had our photograph taken and were talking to other guests who were really nice. Staff were so friendly assisting to take photographs for groups of people and opening doors and talking with everyone. The function room was fabulously decorated and looked wonderful! We located our table and it was nice to mix with other couples and groups of people as we had only come as couple. The 5 course dinner was delicious and out of this world!!! Everyone was drinking, eating, being merry and it was such a wonderful atmosphere. Again, all staff from the bar staff to the waiting staff and Hotel Manager could not do enough for the guests, ensuring that everyone was having a great time. Some of the guests on our table were regular guests at the hotel and had been coming back for years as they loved the hotel and staff so much.

After dinner, the Hotel Manager John invited all of the staff onto the dance floor to thank them which was so lovely and he then said that there was a young man who wanted to make an announcement. I then saw my partner get up and start walking towards John to get the microphone and he then to my astonishment proposed to me in front of everyone in the function room. It was such an unforgettable amazing experience which I will never forget! I later found out that the Hotel Manager John and my now fiancé Chris had been planning it over the phone and by email in the weeks leading up to our visit. We then went out to watch a fantastic fireworks display and then danced the night away until 3am. Breakfast in the morning again was first class, absolutely delicious and the staff ensuring that everything was perfect. We went to collect our professional photograph that was taken the night before and found a card that was signed by the Manager and all of the staff congratulating us on our engagement, which was so touching.

I can honestly say that this hotel is the best hotel that my fiancé and I have ever stayed at! You cannot fault this hotel whatsoever as everything is just perfect. The staff are incredible and the service you receive is just amazing and I observed this with the way they treated all of their guests. The staff really, truly care about making all of their guests stay really special and they are more like a family than a team of staff and make you feel like part of their family. This hotel should win awards as it is truly a gem! I have to give special thanks to the Hotel Manager John as he is an absolute star and credit to the hotel as he made our stay so special. John made sure that every guest was made to feel special and I did not see him stop at all throughout the night or the next morning ensuring that everything was perfect for his guests. He was there from meeting guests when they arrived to waving them off and wishing them a safe journey when they left.

The function room and facilities are absolutely stunning for a wedding reception and if Chris and I and our families did not live so far away we would not have thought twice about booking the Castle Green Hotel for the reception.

Chris and I would like to thank John Scott and all of the wonderful staff at Castle Green Hotel and we will definitely be returning in the future!

Lisa Hare & Chris Mustoe