“Lovely Sunday lunch with friends!”
Review of Booths

Booths
Ranked #119 of 156 Restaurants in Kendal
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: large coffee shop under Booths supermarket in Kendal. there is a café menu and sandwich, cakes, soft and alcoholic drinks available
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Some friends met us here for lunch (their recommendation) before we left Kendal to travel home. We only waited a few minutes to be seated (me in my wheelchair without any fuss!). The ambience of the place was really good, and very inviting with the food and coffee aromas.
We all decided to have the roast beef, which was delightful! Roast beef, roast parsnips, mashed potatoes, red cabbage, butternut squash and Yorkshire puds. It was a lovely, relaxed lunch with old friends in a pleasant environment. The staff were very professional yet friendly. Hubby had icecream for dessert, while I had the pecan pie with icecream. First reaction when I saw the pie was that it was over-priced for what I got, but only one mouthful made me think otherwise. The pecan pie was to die for! My only criticism (?) was that the icecream didn't do the pie justice.
Everywhere was spotlessly clean and fresh, including the toilets, so it's another place we will definitely visit next time we're in Kendal!

2  Thank Tonitags

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Artisan is a wonderful place to go to break up your shopping day, sit and relax in a very downtempo warm restaurant. The food for the most part is quite reasonably priced, though I’m going to hold off final judgement on that one till I’ve refreshed my memory of their main portion sizes/tastes. A helpful hint to anyone who arrives in the morning; the starter “Roasted Flat Mushroom” which only has half a muffin is £5.95, and served from 11:30am. However, if you go before or at 11:30am you can get practically the same thing but both halfs of the muffin for £4.95 if you order the “Poached Eggs with hollandaise” and add portabella mushrooms for 75p. The sauce comes on the side, and you gain half a toasted muffin for 25p less! Granted you loose the tomato, but this loss is counteracted by the muffin gain. They provide highchairs and are very child friendly, not too much to report there.

1  Thank VeggieInTheLakes
Reviewed June 16, 2012

My daughter, sis in law and myself called into Artisan for lunch. I just loved the salmon trio (starter), oh yum yum! We all placed our orders and chatted happily about the atmosphere and the staffs attitude towards their customers, 100% excellance I have to say! Our orders arrived and my daughter commented on her Rarebit...... she asked me to taste it and OMG it was awful!! I asked the waiter to approach and he got a manager to deal with this. We were appproached by a very lovely front of house manager called Magda, she was forced to try the meal(rarebit) by myself (to prove a point) only the untouched slice of course, she agreed wholeheartidly about our compliant and althought the vegitarian breakfast had finished an hour before we got there, my daughter was told to order whatever she wished, they were so wonderful and agreed to cook my daughter the breakfast she really wanted in the first place. The rarebit turned out to be a total mistake in ingredients and they were please we brought it to their attention. I personally would like to thank Magda so very much for how she treated this situation, she has a great rappor with the general public, hope the upper management notice that she is an asset to the restaurant (no I dont know this person), just think credit should be recognised in the right places.
I will certinally be going to this restaurant when Im in the area again.

3  Thank amberbotty63
Reviewed June 8, 2012

I'm local to Kendal and have eaten in Booths regularly because the food is excellent quality, presented beautifully, and reasonably priced. They have now just recently extended their menu to include afternoon tea. Wow! It was superb and excellent value. Friendly staff provided great service, and my 91 year old grandmother said it's the best she's ever had in the lake district. Praise indeed! Laura T

2  Thank LauraJaneTun
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I really really want Artisan to do well. The ethos is in the right place, local and simply cooked food served in a delicious way. What could go wrong!? Certainly the food is very good, the meat/ fish platters are just simply luxurious, all main meals are very well proportioned and tasty and the price, although at the top end for that kind of food, remains reasonable. As for light refreshments - coffees and teas are fresh and lovely and coca cola is served with a slice of orange which is a revelation! The displays around the restaurant give you a chance to buy many local crafts and products is great and I could very easily spend a fortune there if allowed to.

HOWEVER

Generally - service is shocking. I have been probably towards 10 times and not once has there been excellent service or even 'un-rememberable' service. When you get there expect to stand in a queue looking at empty tables whilst a member of staff attempts not only to seat everyone coming in but also take payment from everyone leaving. From then on you have a very formal introduction where they will tell you everything from what their name is to who will be taking your cash at the end of your meal reminding you to stay at the table and they will come and take payment. Through this you sit nodding awkwardly. Then .... you wait..... and wait... until someone comes and takes your drinks order. Then you wait.... and wait.... until your drinks turn up (It is at this point the most fainthearted have already left) Then you wait again for someone to take a food order. After that food turns up pretty quickly, but then you wait for another eternity for someone to come and take your money. When no-one does you eventually give up and go to the main desk - thus further contributing to the bottleneck you first experienced when you came in. Every member of staff is friendly, but don't ever expect to get everything you ordered on the first go. The good side to this is that if you didn't get it at the table it also doesn't turn up on the bill saving that awkward ' you have charged us for something we didn't get' conversation.

Booths - I love you, Artisan - I love your food. But that is the only reason I keep going back there. Sort your service out (it really isn't that hard) and you are on to a winner.

1  Thank Redbeck