“great food, bad service”
Review of Booths

Booths
Ranked #119 of 155 Restaurants in Kendal
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: large coffee shop under Booths supermarket in Kendal. there is a café menu and sandwich, cakes, soft and alcoholic drinks available
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I really really want Artisan to do well. The ethos is in the right place, local and simply cooked food served in a delicious way. What could go wrong!? Certainly the food is very good, the meat/ fish platters are just simply luxurious, all main meals are very well proportioned and tasty and the price, although at the top end for that kind of food, remains reasonable. As for light refreshments - coffees and teas are fresh and lovely and coca cola is served with a slice of orange which is a revelation! The displays around the restaurant give you a chance to buy many local crafts and products is great and I could very easily spend a fortune there if allowed to.

HOWEVER

Generally - service is shocking. I have been probably towards 10 times and not once has there been excellent service or even 'un-rememberable' service. When you get there expect to stand in a queue looking at empty tables whilst a member of staff attempts not only to seat everyone coming in but also take payment from everyone leaving. From then on you have a very formal introduction where they will tell you everything from what their name is to who will be taking your cash at the end of your meal reminding you to stay at the table and they will come and take payment. Through this you sit nodding awkwardly. Then .... you wait..... and wait... until someone comes and takes your drinks order. Then you wait.... and wait.... until your drinks turn up (It is at this point the most fainthearted have already left) Then you wait again for someone to take a food order. After that food turns up pretty quickly, but then you wait for another eternity for someone to come and take your money. When no-one does you eventually give up and go to the main desk - thus further contributing to the bottleneck you first experienced when you came in. Every member of staff is friendly, but don't ever expect to get everything you ordered on the first go. The good side to this is that if you didn't get it at the table it also doesn't turn up on the bill saving that awkward ' you have charged us for something we didn't get' conversation.

Booths - I love you, Artisan - I love your food. But that is the only reason I keep going back there. Sort your service out (it really isn't that hard) and you are on to a winner.

1  Thank Redbeck

Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stumbled on Artisan by accident as it's below the Booth's supermarket in Kendal, but we're glad we did. Service was very quick - a boon at lunchtime when there's shopping to do - and the decor and ambiance is pleasing and comfortable. You can sit in the restaurant part or there are leather tub chairs nearer the entrance, which are very relaxing and informal. Coffee was good, and my steak sandwich with mushrooms was sublime - all sorts of wonderful exotic mushrooms included, and served as an open sandwich with salad that tasted like it had just been picked.

There's also a cheese counter with some lovely cheeses, and fresh 'artisan' style breads which looked delicious.

Overall, a clearly popular place and for good reason, we enjoyed our lunch immensely.

1  Thank examino
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I have just been to Artisan in Kendal, It was amazing to find somewhere that takes time and worries about the quality of the coffees thay make.

I had the best cappuccino I have ever had, many thanks to a true Barista who made it. He should be commended to his employer as an asset to be put on a pedestal, I had a quick chat to him as well very knowledgeable and passionate on his subject. Do hope you get Michael making your drinks for you.

3  Thank Frank S
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This was our second visit after really enjoying the quality of food first time around.

This time we were seated at the rear of the restaurant which was not as pleasant as other areas of the restaurant and coupled with the fact it was a Saturday lunchtime made for a busy, noisy environment that was not as enjoyable as our previous visit. The service was also quite slow.

That said the quality and presentation of the food was excellent. We enjoyed eggs benedict and the rarebit and can recommend both.

1  Thank BillyBear01
Reviewed April 24, 2012

As a treat I was whisked away to Artisan after a glowing review from my family. I found the staff to be overly formal and a little stuffy for such an other wise relaxed eating environment. Straight away we were informed of who would be dealing with a payment at the end of our lunch, we hadn't even ordered yet, seemed a bit hasty. The menu was huge and offered every thing you would want, lots of local produce and a good offer on the specials. We ordered wine and had a small wait to admire our surroundings, loved the photography and good tunes playing. Tick! The food arrived and looked lovely, I went for a tart with spinach and potatoes and my sister had the platter (massive!). My meal was a bit tasteless but nothing a bit of salt n' pepper couldn't fix. The platter was around £10 and really good value for money, especially if you are hungry, loads of cheese and meat, pork pie, the works. Over all I enjoyed lunch and would return and try something else from their huge menu. Give it a go if you can, you will be pleasantly surprised, especially if you get Michael as your waiter! x

1  Thank Ilikepies