“A lunchtime treat, with great coffee and varied menu”
Review of Booths

Booths
Ranked #119 of 156 Restaurants in Kendal
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: large coffee shop under Booths supermarket in Kendal. there is a café menu and sandwich, cakes, soft and alcoholic drinks available
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We stumbled on Artisan by accident as it's below the Booth's supermarket in Kendal, but we're glad we did. Service was very quick - a boon at lunchtime when there's shopping to do - and the decor and ambiance is pleasing and comfortable. You can sit in the restaurant part or there are leather tub chairs nearer the entrance, which are very relaxing and informal. Coffee was good, and my steak sandwich with mushrooms was sublime - all sorts of wonderful exotic mushrooms included, and served as an open sandwich with salad that tasted like it had just been picked.

There's also a cheese counter with some lovely cheeses, and fresh 'artisan' style breads which looked delicious.

Overall, a clearly popular place and for good reason, we enjoyed our lunch immensely.

1  Thank examino

Reviewed April 27, 2012

I have just been to Artisan in Kendal, It was amazing to find somewhere that takes time and worries about the quality of the coffees thay make.

I had the best cappuccino I have ever had, many thanks to a true Barista who made it. He should be commended to his employer as an asset to be put on a pedestal, I had a quick chat to him as well very knowledgeable and passionate on his subject. Do hope you get Michael making your drinks for you.

3  Thank Frank S
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This was our second visit after really enjoying the quality of food first time around.

This time we were seated at the rear of the restaurant which was not as pleasant as other areas of the restaurant and coupled with the fact it was a Saturday lunchtime made for a busy, noisy environment that was not as enjoyable as our previous visit. The service was also quite slow.

That said the quality and presentation of the food was excellent. We enjoyed eggs benedict and the rarebit and can recommend both.

1  Thank BillyBear01
Reviewed April 24, 2012

As a treat I was whisked away to Artisan after a glowing review from my family. I found the staff to be overly formal and a little stuffy for such an other wise relaxed eating environment. Straight away we were informed of who would be dealing with a payment at the end of our lunch, we hadn't even ordered yet, seemed a bit hasty. The menu was huge and offered every thing you would want, lots of local produce and a good offer on the specials. We ordered wine and had a small wait to admire our surroundings, loved the photography and good tunes playing. Tick! The food arrived and looked lovely, I went for a tart with spinach and potatoes and my sister had the platter (massive!). My meal was a bit tasteless but nothing a bit of salt n' pepper couldn't fix. The platter was around £10 and really good value for money, especially if you are hungry, loads of cheese and meat, pork pie, the works. Over all I enjoyed lunch and would return and try something else from their huge menu. Give it a go if you can, you will be pleasantly surprised, especially if you get Michael as your waiter! x

1  Thank Ilikepies
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We have eaten here on a number of occasions both mid week and weekends and have always had positive experiences. Todays visit was fab though and I felt i just had to write and share. As a family with a 21 month old we eat out regularly usually at pubs and restaurants, not fast food, and its always great to find somewhere that not only welcomes children but genuinely caters for them with food that is healthy and not just shaped processed fish/chicken with chips and peas/beans. Today, despite there being a largish queue and full restaurant, we were seated quickly and our orders taken in good time. Having a hungry toddler with us we asked if his meal could be brought out sooner rather than later and sure enough his meal was brought out in advance of ours and we were suitably impressed with what was offered. We'd ordered the childrens ploughmans and it was really nice. A sensible sized portion, quality ham and cheese (no hint of overprocessed plastic!), chunks of bread, fingers of carrots, apples and a proper salad (not just a token lettuce leaf). A healthy meal that we were happy to feed our child. As for our food, which arrived not too long after, it was again fantastic. My husband had the fish and chips and I had the chicken breast both of which were delicious. Tasty food that wasn't overly salty or proessed and again we were happy to let our son try our meals. The clean plates all round said it all. We'll be back soon but this tinme we'll order something smaller - to make sure we have room for pudding!

2  Thank clarabell75