“A Decent Place” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Kendal
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“A Decent Place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here a few times and always found everything as you would expect. More homely than any Travel lodge because of decor,beds and especially pillows, and WiFi is free and it works!
Nice view of the lake and staff helpful. Food at the service station is as dried up and as disgusting as any other, but that's nothing to do with Days Inn, best to take the advice like others have said and travel a little and eat food that's cared for, and probably cheaper.Roadchef (Road Kill)

One of my favourite Days Inn though.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm so pleased to hear we're one of your favourite Days Inns! We do work hard to provide a home away from home, and I'm thrilled to hear you say that we have achieved this. I'm delighted you were able to make use of our free wi-fi during your stay. I will certainly pass on your comments to the team. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the Roadchef restaurant. Their evening menu is always cooked fresh to order so it hasn't been sitting out under hot lights, but I'm glad you were able to find somewhere else to eat while you were with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) on your next visit. Thanks again for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Huddersfield
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Very helpful staff. Asked about eating out and they suggested The Dalesman Inn in Sedbergh for evening meal which was lovely - would recommend (busy as it was Saturday so may be best to book if possible). Large comfortable double room (only a twin available when booked but asked to have a double if one became available and this had been noted). Quiet with view of the lake. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet and have lovely view of the lake. Room 3 has an extra room with 2 singl...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I'm delighted you had such an enjoyable stay. We do try to fulfill all guest requests, and we do make a note on bookings to ensure that we change guests' room types if the correct room type becomes available. I'm so pleased the Receptionist was able to direct you to Sedbergh. Although we're on the motorway, we do have a couple of small villages quite nearby, and Kendal is only 10 miles away - please do ask at Reception and we can provide you with a map. Room 3 is one of our large family rooms. These do get booked quite far in advance, please do call the hotel if you would prefer to book this room, or to ensure we allocate you a view of the lake. I hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon - keep an eye on our website for special offers! Thanks again for your review.
Salford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

We booked here for an overnight stay as we needed a family room and somewhere that was pet friendly. The room was very spacious, and the view of the lake was fantastic. However the double bed was like a trampoline very bouncy, every time one of us moved in the night the other one went into orbit.
The Bathroom was a grave disappointment, the bath had mould on it and the tiles, it also had some dirty marks and looked like it had not been cleaned so we gave that a miss.
Breakfast at the roadchef was over priced and not nice. but this was ok for a 1 night stop.

Room Tip: ask for lake view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for your review. I do hope you enjoyed your stay. I'm so pleased you were able to bring your pet with you.

Please be assured I have spoken to the housekeeping team about the issues you experienced, and your room has been deep cleaned. I can only apologise. These are not the standards we usually provide at Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake). I do hope to be able to welcome you back in the future - do keep an eye on our website for upcoming special offers.

Thanks again for your review.
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We were travelling quite late in the evening and pulled into this hotel to break our journey. We used our laptop and booked in the car park to get a better rate and walked inside - given that we had literally just completed the reservation I wondered if would have filtered through to their system. We were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who confirmed that it had been received & we went to our room. The ground floor room was a very good size and was clean and well laid out with everything you'd expect such as TV, kettle, desk etc. The bathroom was spacious and clean and had plenty of towels & decent lighting and a large mirror - useful for putting on make-up. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and most welcome after our long drive. Despite being fairly close to a busy road their was no discernible noise to disturb you. Breakfast wasn't included and we didn't buy it at the hotel we left early next day and receptionist offered onward driving advice which was appreciated. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are ideal as a stop off heading either north or south on the M6. I'm delighted you found the room clean and comfortable and that you enjoyed a good night's sleep before continuing your journey. Our Reception team do have a good local knowledge and I'm happy to know they were able to help you with your onward journey. If you do book to stay with us again, do keep an eye on our website for our special offers, and please call the hotel directly so we can ensure we allocate you a lake view room. I look forward to welcoming you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) and thank you again for your review.
Illminster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

we were delighted when we saw the hotel tucked away and the view over the lake from the window was spectacular. It was really quiet in the room and we slept well. when we asked for extra milk and tea-bags we were given them immediately. One of the staff was very helpful and told us how to 'go north 'on the M.6 without having to drive south first, saving us a number of wasted miles and time.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review. I'm delighted you had such a great experience with us. We are so lucky to have such a beautiful location - the view is stunning, and we have very little traffic noise, despite being on the motorway. Do make sure if you book again that you call the hotel directly to make sure we allocate you a lake view room! I'm so pleased we were able to point out our access road so you could go north on the M6 without first going south, it does save several miles!

Thanks again for such a nice review, and I hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon - keep an eye on our website for upcoming offers!
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

For someone living in Scotland and commuting south on occasion, location of this hotel is a perfect for a stop over en-route. The room in question No. 7, on the occasion I stayed must have had the window left open to explain the plague of spiders and insects, I managed to evict 2 via the window but gave up and had the company of 4 large spiders moving about the walls and ceilings and 2 flying insects the like of which I never saw before. Churlish to fault this place, a great stop-over, handy, clean and quiet. Rooms are OK, clean and reasonably comfortable. If you book enough in advance, prices are good too. No toiletries in the bathroom, so make sure you have your own. As someone registered with their loyalty scheme, bit disappointed I didn't get my Twix and bottle of water as promised but staff are very warm and welcoming there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry that as a Wyndham Rewards member you didn't receive your refreshment pack. My only thought is that perhaps you weren't on a qualifying rate? I do hope this didn't spoil your stay. I'm also sorry you had such a problem with insects. The team are usually excellent at keeping the windows shut, but we have had a couple of new team members recently - who have now been reminded about the importance of shutting windows!

I do hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon - and I hope to be able to make sure you get your water and chocolate bar! Thanks again for taking the time to write a review.
Berkeley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed for one night at the end of August as a stopover from travelling back south from Scotland. Lovely location overlooking Killington Lake with plenty of wildlife around including an abundance of rabbits. Hotel is adjacent to the main service building which houses a Road Chef restaurant and a Costa Coffee outlet.
Check in was pleasant and friendly, the family room was much bigger then expected, with a double bed and walkthrough to an additional area with two single beds. Nice crisp linen on the beds. Ensuite with bath and shower over, toiletries provided. As a budget hotel, don't expect a luxurious room, but whilst it's perhaps not upto Premier Inn standard, it certainly beats Travel Lodge. The room was very hot when we arrived, so we opened the windows, which was bit of a mistake as there's a lot of midges around at dusk. The view over the lake was beautiful though.
Days Inn are dog friendly which is quite refreshing and we were given a room close to the exit so it was easy to take them for walks.
A noon checkout the following day gave us a bit of a lie in and time for breakfast at the Road Chef, Reception sell £10 food vouchers for £7.50 which helps. There were so many food deals on at Road Chef, but the staff were brilliant at working out the cheapest way to get what we wanted. The food wasn't bad either!
It's worth joining the rewards program too, as you get a bottle of water and chocolate bar with every stay!
So a good stopover, would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room and if warm, a fan!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry if the midges caused you a problem - our location so close to the lake means we do suffer from them during warm weather. We do advise guests' to keep their windows closed and we can, of course, provide a fan if requested.

I'm so pleased you were able to make the most of our discount vouchers in the Roadchef Restaurant. I will certainly pass on your comments regarding the helpful staff to the restaurant manager.

I'm thrilled you signed up to our Wyndham Rewards card. Not only do you get a chocolate bar and a bottle of water every time you stay on a qualifying rate, but you get a whole host of other benefits as well. Do keep an eye on our website for future special offers!

Thanks again for your review, and I hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon.