“Handy Location”

Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Kendal
Glasgow
“Handy Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

For someone living in Scotland and commuting south on occasion, location of this hotel is a perfect for a stop over en-route. The room in question No. 7, on the occasion I stayed must have had the window left open to explain the plague of spiders and insects, I managed to evict 2 via the window but gave up and had the company of 4 large spiders moving about the walls and ceilings and 2 flying insects the like of which I never saw before. Churlish to fault this place, a great stop-over, handy, clean and quiet. Rooms are OK, clean and reasonably comfortable. If you book enough in advance, prices are good too. No toiletries in the bathroom, so make sure you have your own. As someone registered with their loyalty scheme, bit disappointed I didn't get my Twix and bottle of water as promised but staff are very warm and welcoming there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry that as a Wyndham Rewards member you didn't receive your refreshment pack. My only thought is that perhaps you weren't on a qualifying rate? I do hope this didn't spoil your stay. I'm also sorry you had such a problem with insects. The team are usually excellent at keeping the windows shut, but we have had a couple of new team members recently - who have now been reminded about the importance of shutting windows!

I do hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon - and I hope to be able to make sure you get your water and chocolate bar! Thanks again for taking the time to write a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Berkeley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed for one night at the end of August as a stopover from travelling back south from Scotland. Lovely location overlooking Killington Lake with plenty of wildlife around including an abundance of rabbits. Hotel is adjacent to the main service building which houses a Road Chef restaurant and a Costa Coffee outlet.
Check in was pleasant and friendly, the family room was much bigger then expected, with a double bed and walkthrough to an additional area with two single beds. Nice crisp linen on the beds. Ensuite with bath and shower over, toiletries provided. As a budget hotel, don't expect a luxurious room, but whilst it's perhaps not upto Premier Inn standard, it certainly beats Travel Lodge. The room was very hot when we arrived, so we opened the windows, which was bit of a mistake as there's a lot of midges around at dusk. The view over the lake was beautiful though.
Days Inn are dog friendly which is quite refreshing and we were given a room close to the exit so it was easy to take them for walks.
A noon checkout the following day gave us a bit of a lie in and time for breakfast at the Road Chef, Reception sell £10 food vouchers for £7.50 which helps. There were so many food deals on at Road Chef, but the staff were brilliant at working out the cheapest way to get what we wanted. The food wasn't bad either!
It's worth joining the rewards program too, as you get a bottle of water and chocolate bar with every stay!
So a good stopover, would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room and if warm, a fan!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your lovely review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry if the midges caused you a problem - our location so close to the lake means we do suffer from them during warm weather. We do advise guests' to keep their windows closed and we can, of course, provide a fan if requested.

I'm so pleased you were able to make the most of our discount vouchers in the Roadchef Restaurant. I will certainly pass on your comments regarding the helpful staff to the restaurant manager.

I'm thrilled you signed up to our Wyndham Rewards card. Not only do you get a chocolate bar and a bottle of water every time you stay on a qualifying rate, but you get a whole host of other benefits as well. Do keep an eye on our website for future special offers!

Thanks again for your review, and I hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon.
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Had a great stay at the Days Inn hotel. The room was clean and tidy, my request for a lake view facing room and a fan to be provided was exactly as I’d requested via email. The towels were fine, toiletries were provided, the equipment worked and I couldn’t hear the road. The receptionist was helpful and friendly and I couldn’t have asked for more for the price it was.

Kendal was a short and enjoyable 15 minute drive with Windermere another 10 minutes beyond. Bearing in mind it’s convenience, price and proximity to the Lakes, I’d be hard pressed to find a reason to visit another hotel. Yes it doesn’t have a spa and it isn’t 5 star but if you want something clean, affordable and the staff treat you like a person (rather than a faceless number) then this is the place to stay.

I do genuinely despair of the individuals that are down marking the hotel because of their over reliance on the Sat Nav or inability to use any form of common sense. The hotel address clearly states “Roadchef Motorway Scv Area, M6 South” so it shouldn’t take a slide rule to figure out that it might be off the motorway. A quick zoom into Google maps, an email to the hotel or maybe even god forbid, a quick call to the hotel and they would cope with the idiocy. Likewise a further look at a map, or an inquiry to the receptionist, will reveal the small service road (Fairthorns Road) that will take you North to the Motorway junction and allowing you then to drive anywhere you wish.

Don’t let people’s poor, or lack of, navigation skills affect your judgement of this great value hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for lake facing, request a fan and look at the address of the hotel and a map before setting off...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your lovely review. I'm so pleased you were so happy with the hotel. While we are not a 5* hotel, we do try to offer our guests' the best experience we can, and I'm delighted you had such a good experience. We are aware that some SatNav devices send people to the middle of a postcode and, as we are in such a rural location, the middle of our postcode is the wrong side of the lake. We do try to put warnings on all the websites we advertise on, and we are always happy to provide directions.

Thanks again for your review, and I look forward to welcoming you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon.
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

Good one night stop over. Good value and our room was clean and quiet. Friendly, helpful staff. We were entertained by swallows nesting under eaves performing aerial acrobatics. Service area small with limited facilities. Minor criticism: hotel should make it clear you can only access Killington service station/hotel from southbound M6, although it is just off the M6. As we were heading north, we had a job to find it and had to ring hotel for directions and then drive round in a circle as we had overshot.

Room Tip: Our room at the back facing the lake was quiet with great views. The front of the hotel faces the se...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wes567
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay and that the swallows provided you with such entertainment! I'm sorry you drove south to go north again. We do have an access road available which will take you back to Junction 37 to rejoin the M6 going northbound. It also enables access to Kendal and Sedbergh without having to use the motorway. Please do just ask at Reception and we can provide directions. I'm delighted you had a room with a lake view. Please contact the hotel directly if you book in the future so we can make sure we allocate you a lake view room on your next stay.

Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Had a lovely evening in Windermere left there at 9 to head to hotel it was dark by then arrived at hotel 2 hours later as sat nav took us up lanes in the country with grass in the middle in the middle of nowhere, phoned reception who gave us some directions only trouble was we didn't know where we were and neither did the person on duty.I was told not to take no notice of the postcode as it covered an 8 mile radius and that it warned of this on the website I did not look on the site as booked through Booking.com whom I think need to be informed of this as someone travelling alone would be at their wits end.I think if you go here from travelling on the motorway you would be ok but if you come via minor roads the way to get here is terrible and really the web sites would be better to not put a postcode on at all.The hotel itself was fine value for money, food in the restaurant a rip off and diesel at the pumps £1.51 when a little village garage a few miles away £1.42.Lovely views and stunning location but the directions a nightmare

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gina1182013
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you had such problems finding us. As the Receptionist said, our postcode is correct but it does cover a large area as we are so rural. We do advise on all the websites we advertise on not to follow SatNav as many devices take drivers to the middle of the postcode which, in our case, is the other side of the Lake.

I do hope it won't put you off staying with us in the future and I hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon.
Manchester, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

The Days Inn hotel at Killington Lake is located relatively close enough to Kendal to make it a nice location to relax in. Overlooking the lake (which is a reservoir) the hotel has great views and is very quiet.

The rooms are clean, the staff are friendly.

But as with most Days Inn, fascilities are down to the nearby motorway services and sadly Killington Lake is a little barer than most.

It's a reasonable place to rest your head. But I would imagine having to eat out and return would be a drag if you stayed there as a holiday.

I got the room for free using my Wyndham Rewards points and therefore cannot comment on value.

Room Tip: Ask staff for directions to the Northbound M6. They are on the website, maps but don't actually...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay. I'm delighted you were able to use your Wyndham Rewards points to pay for your stay - I hope you're making the most of the current double points promotion!

I'm sorry you found the services unsuitable. We do try to cater for all tastes with a self service hot food restaurant, The Burger Company and Costa Coffee. We can also provide directions to local villages and towns if guests' would prefer to go further afield to eat.

I'm so glad you asked for directions to get northbound on the M6. We do have an access road that enables access to both the M6 north and the A684 to get to Kendal and Sedbergh without using the motorway.

I do hope you enjoyed your stay and that I can welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) in the future. Thanks again for your review.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

Firstly, the hotel needs to make it very clear on the website where it is located (southbound on M6) and like another reviewer, we ended up following the Satnav and going along a country road in pitch darkness. Once we finally found the hotel , we received a warm and friendly welcome from the receptionist .
The rooms are spacious and the family suites are good value for money . Having said that, the rooms do need a refurbishment. The bed was uncomfortable and saggy and there was a definite smell in the room (dog?) . As a dog lover myself, I am thrilled to find a hotel that allows our four legged friends but I hope that this hotel confines them only to certain rooms and deep cleans the carpet afterwards .

When we woke up in the morning we had a beautiful view of the lake which was very unexpected. Overall, not a bad pit stop on the way to somewhere else .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Moiramacd
Thank you for your review. I do hope you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm sorry you had difficulty finding us. We do try to advertise both on the websites and on review sites such as this one that we advise not using the postcode to find us as many SatNav devices direct drivers to the middle of a postcode which, as we are so rural, is the other side of the lake. I do hope the warm welcome you received made up for any inconvenience you incurred.

Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) is a pet friendly hotel and we take many measures to ensure that cleanliness and hygiene standards are met. We do make a small charge to cover this. I do hope to welcome you and your dog back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) in the future. Thanks again for your review.