“Needs some attention”

Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We booked this for an overnight stop on a longer journey and as we’d always wanted to spend longer nearer Killington Lake and its view.
The evening receptionist was very friendly and helpful, though it would have been useful to know how to access the free Wi-Fi before getting into our room, and having to go back along the long corridor and upstairs to be given the information.
We were allocated a quiet room with lake view as we had requested, but, having arrived late, the longish walk back to Reception put us off going as we sequentially discovered things missing in the room.
There appeard to be few guests staying.
Parking was stated as being free on the internet booking, but we noticed next day in the car park that fees should have been paid for staying more than 2 hours....Luckily we were not fined.
As others have written, the place had a tired feeling, and housekeeping in our room lax. The sofa bed fabric was very faded from daylight. As this had been a Premier Inn and given some reviews about large beds, mistakenly we had expected the bed to be bigger and firmer but it was a standard size and soft and wobbly, leading to a poor night’s sleep. Toilet paper was of poor quality and rather minimal in quantity. Both gel dispensers were empty and a Carex hand wash was available in a bottle designed presumably for a dispenser as it was difficult to use on its own, and it was far too harsh to use as shower and shampoo gel. Luckily we had brought our own shampoo and used it also for our shower wash. The bath tap had a small leak. The TV had the 5 main channels but the remote control only worked when standing to the right of the TV! The complimentary drinks tray did have Fairtrade sugar (well done) but only tea, no coffee.
The view next morning was lovely even under lowering wet skies, and we enjoyed it especially over breakfast next door in the service area.
We gave this average for the helpful receptionist and the view, but otherwise might have opted for poor.

Room Tip: Downstairs is probabaly quieter. Ask for a lake view.
1  Thank FandRD
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you were disappointed with your visit. We always try to allocate guests' who request a quiet room a room at the end of a corridor, even when we aren't busy, to ensure they have the peace and quiet they have asked for. I'm sorry if you found it a long walk back to Reception.

I will certainly speak to Housekeeping about the issues you have mentioned. All of our televisions offer the major Freeview channels, rather than just the 5 you mentioned.

I can only apologise if you found the wi-fi complicated, I will certainly look at putting information in the rooms on how to connect. As our wi-fi doesn't require a password, the registration page just pops up when you connect to the network, we haven't felt it necessary up until now.

Unfortunately, due to the layout of our rooms which were built prior to us becoming a Premier Inn and then a Days Inn, we don't have the space for a king size bed, just a normal double bed, or two singles if you book one of our twin rooms.

I am pleased you found the staff helpful and the view beautiful.

Thank you again for your review and I hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

We love days inn as great places to stop at when travelling between the south and Scotland. This one is in a nice spot, very friendly and competent staff but is getting a little run done especially the bathrooms. However for the rates you pay (we paid £39 pounds per night) I cant complain. The rooms aren't un clean just tired.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay. I'm sorry you found the hotel to be tired. We are currently in the process of freshening up our rooms over our quieter Winter season. I'm delighted you booked one of our special offer rooms at £39 per night. Please do keep an eye on our website for future offers. Thank you again for your review and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon.

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Nothing to look at and basic rooms, but the beds are very comfortable, the hotel was very clean, and the lady on reception was extremely friendly and helpful. Plus our room had the most beautiful view of the lake, which was lovely to see in the morning. I would definitely stay here again, especially for the price we paid of £29. (It takes about twenty minutes to get into Kendal town centre. )
An important thing to mention is that following directions on a sat-nav will take you to a farmhouse in the back of beyond. We told the lady at reception and she told us that everyone`s sat-nav does that. Just come off the motorway at Killington Lake Services, it`s right next to it.

Room Tip: Apparently all rooms have the lovely view.
Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2012

Thank you so much for your lovely review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. I'm particularly pleased you found the hotel clean and the staff friendly and helpful. Unfortunately not all of our rooms have a view of the lake, although the majority do. If you would prefer a room with a lake view, we do ask that you ring the hotel directly and request one - this is the only way of ensuring we allocate you the correct room. I'm sorry you had problems finding us. As our location is so rural, our postcode covers several square miles and most SatNav devices take drivers to the middle of the postcode which, unfortunately, is on the other side of the lake. We do try to make this clear on all of the websites we advertise on, I can only apologise if you were not made aware of this. I'm so glad you were able to take advantage of one of our special offer rates - do keep an eye on our website as we often have deals available. Thank you once again for your review and I do hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

This hotel has been taken over by Days Inn.
For up to date reviews see under the new name.
There is nothing more I want to say about it here, but I have to submit a minimum of 200 words.
If you want to go to Kendal without making a big loop on the motorway, you can leave via the staff exit, but the road has several serious potholes.

5  Thank John H
Reviewed November 6, 2012

With some trepidation I booked this, mainly because it was one of the few places on the motorway that would allow dogs. (A miniature well-behaved schnauzer). My father put the wind up me when he said that as I was northbound it would take ages from the junction above the hotel to get back to the venue itself. Nonsense! I came off at 37 and almost immediately was pulling into the car park. It was 11.30 pm and the girl on reception could not have been more welcoming. It was the first night we'd had snow in the UK this year, so was biterly cold outside, but toasty inside. I was given a room downstairs for £29. It was warm, clean with a comfy bed a very capable shower and hairdryer. There was also tea and coffee faciltities, with a limited freeview tv (but more than adequate). My bed was enourmous with an extra large sofa bed if required - the dog sat on the corner before heading for the floor. I was offered a deal on pre-paid breakfast, but unfortunately they do not take dogs, so could not sample that. I did grab a croissant and coffee at the garage opposite. The facilties inside the service centre appeared good, and breakfast would have been taken within the hotel part for £7.00 (cooked breakfast). All in all, I was delighted and the view in the morning over the lake was awesome. I will definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Downstairs if you can get it and overlooking the lake.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Elaine R
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Thank you so much for your review. i'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. We are more than happy to welcome pets, but we do ask that you call and let us know in advance that pets are coming so we can ensure we allocate the correct room. There is a small charge per pet of £10. I'm so pleased you found the team friendly. We work hard to offer a warm welcome - both service and room temperature!

I do hope we can welcome you and your dog back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon, and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

we broke down heading to london and got a tow to this place it was a life saver nice and clean,comfy beds,clean towels hot water what more do you need?
Bit pricey at £60 per room per night if its just 1 but if theres more of you then price is good!!!
Would recommend!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Rosalind O
Reviewed October 21, 2012

The location of this hotel is perfect and the view over the lake stunning. However, the bed was small and quite uncomfortable and the bathroom could do with a refurb. Having a 24 hour service station next door was very handy and after a long drive we chose to eat there expecting a below average meal, when in fact we were pleasantly surprised and the fish and chips was excellent and cooked to order and therefore fresh.

Despite the negative part of our stay we would consider staying here again, as we spent the following night at another Days Inn, which was new and therefore benefitted from a bigger bed which was very comfortable and a spotlessly clean bathroom. So we will give this hotel chain the benefit of the doubt and hope that they intend to replace the beds at Kendal in the near future.

Room Tip: Would recommend the lake view rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your review. I'm delighted you would consider staying with us in the future. I'm sorry you found the bed small, they are standard sized double beds, but I appreciate that a lot of people are used to king-size beds.

I will pass on your lovely comments regarding the motorway service area restaurant to their team. In the evenings they operate a "cooked to order" menu, which means food is always cooked fresh for customers and it hasn't been sitting out under hot lights for a long period of time.

Once again, thank you for your review, and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Premier Inn Kendal Central Hotel
#7 of 13 in Kendal
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite

Been to Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake? Share your experiences!