“Reliable Kendal Cafe/Bistro”

Pumpkins Bistro
Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The restaurant is licensed and has an unfussy pleasant ambience enhanced by attractive artwork, some by a local artist, which gives it a Mediterranean feel. The menus are varied and very reasonably priced, all the food is sourced locally and our meat is predominately produced in Cumbria. Opening times:Mon-Wed: 9.30am-5.00pmThurs, Fri, Saturday: 9.30am-8.30pm.
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Excellent food. The Fish & Chips with tea, bread and butter exceptional value at £6.80. Freshly cooked and delicious. As I don't like mushy peas, was offered garden peas, which I thought was above and beyond. Staff excellent. Highly recommend.

Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Went here with my girlfriend for lunch and wasnt impressed at all. The food as described by another reviewer was bland. I had cassoulet and it didnt taste of anything, think it had been sat in a pot for i dont know how long. She had steak pie and said she only got two small pieces of beef in it. We both had chips and they were soggy and greasy. Iv had worse but this place doesnt deserve the rating it has, not from my experience anyway.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

On our 10 day trip to the Lake District we ate out most days and this was the nicest meal of them all.
I had the home made pate which was actually home made which appears to be something of a rarity in my experience. It was lovely and was served with a nice side salad, thin toast and chutney.
In addition, the rest of out party had fish and chips, cassoulet and two lots of tagliatelle with bacon and mushrooms. All of the portions were good, everything was home made and fresh.
Service was friendly and efficient and the whole place was clean.

1  Thank ROBDOLPHIN66
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I often visit this lovely bistro, which is perfectly situated, just a few yards from Kendal Town Hall. Meals are delicious, filling and well prepared. Home made cakes include a ginger parkin to die for. Excellent, crispy chips.

1  Thank Howi58
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We arrived in Kendal late on a Saturday afternoon, and by the time we found our hotel, and were ready to find somewhere to eat, it was pushing all of 8pm. Apparently, this late for a decent meal in Kendal.

At first glance, we thought this place looked marginal, but due to the few choices available, we gave it a go, and I'm stoked we did!

Positives: Open. Appropriate service standards. GREAT FOOD! Bargain prices.

Negatives: Atmosphere somewhat flat despite great music being played. I think more down to being a pub, rather than restaurant, driven town.

All in all would more than happily eat here regularly, if it wasn't on the other side of the world.