“Great food”

Ranked #29 of 155 Restaurants in Kendal
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed July 17, 2014

I was here twice while on holiday nearby. The food both times was excellent, well cooked, tasty and reasonably priced. The selection of drinks available was also good, catering for most tastes. The large beer garden is excellent to sit in with a cold cider on a warm afternoon.

Nicola H, General Manager at Strickland Arms, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Strickland Arms, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed both visits to us while you were holidaying in the area. We trust that you had a safe journey home and we hope to welcome you to the Strickland arms again soon.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Afriend and I both ordeted a beef sandwich.a piece of thick bread with hard crust arrived in a board with a small slice of the toughest grizzly beef on top.it was topped with a handful of cress and on the side was yet another handful of cress.the meat was very chewy and virtually inedible.the soup was nice but a very small portion.a disappointing lunch overall and an extensive one.

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Strickland Arms, please accept my apologies that you didn't enjoy your lunch with us. I have fully taken on board all your comments and we have a new head chef starting on Wednesday and I will show him your review and hopefully he will be able to rectify the issues you had.
I really do hope that you do return when you are next in the area.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

We've been a few times over the past 3 months. The food is of good quality, well prepared at a consistently good standard. The starters are huge(you need to be hungry to eat 3 courses) recommend the chicken livers if they are on. The menu is not big but covers most of the normal pub food range. The specials are normally excellent and imaginative. The beers are good and well kept, normally 5/6 ales, usually local ones. The important point is that they are poured correctly by friendly staff. Ok, I agree at busy times they could have more bar staff and you do have to be patient, but it's worth it. The restaurant staff are relaxed and professional, making the atmosphere relaxed and easy going, how a proper country pub should be(dogs allowed and catered for, drink/biscuits). The selling point for this pub is the consistency of service and food. The fish and chips are Brill. It is difficult to choose between the Strickland and it's sister pub The Derby Arms at Witherslack, but for me the Strickland does it by a midge's!!!.

Nicola H, General Manager at Strickland Arms, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Many thanks for taking the time out to review the Strickland arms., I am glad that you enjoy coming to visit us. We have been working really hard with our staff to ensure that customer service is paramount in what we offer at the Strickland Arms and I am glad that you feel the staff are friendly and relaxed! You might be glad to hear that as from the 21st July we are going to be doing take away Fish and Chips on a Friday evening and also take home beer so you can enjoy our great fish and chips at home!

Many thanks again,

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Service was great, maybe improved from previous reviews. Drinks arrived promptly. The food was excellently cooked well presented and served speedily enough for us no real waiting. The tweak needed is to redress the rather dry meals with a little jus. My starter the chicken livers perfectly cooked and delicious but on griddled bread rather dry. The wild mushrooms came with a sauce and was great. The pork and pineapple was again in need of jus and so was the chicken breast with cream cheese and pancetta. Now these dishes were great, fabulous flavours cooked well,and two bottles of wine helped keep it all moist the fish and chips was very good too.

1  Thank RTPFUN

Many thanks for taking the time out to review your recent visit on The Strickland Arms. I am glad to see that you have noticed that our staff training has been efficient and customer service standards are back up to what we pride ourselves on. I have passed your comments on to the kitchen team regarding the food and I will work closely with them to ensure that these get rectified.
Many thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

We arrived here at 6.30pm we booked a table, the place was not busy at this time, our drinks order was taken but still 15 minutes later no drinks when the waitress came to take our food order I had to ask her for our drinks that had been ordered, 10 mins later our drinks arrived, there was only 3 of us, the main was well presented we had the lamb it was good, we asked for a sweet menu we ordered Sticky toffee pudding with Cream, it came with Ice Cream !!!!! I asked for it to be changed it came back with a jug of Cream and but you could see where the Ice Cream had been scraped off the pudding so it was cold in places, for £88 for three meals and drinks with two liquor coffee's that tasted very weak I would say very overpriced for the poor service we got, more staff are needed there was only 3 staff and it was getting busy glad I did not book it for later in the evening. Will give this place a miss.

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Strickland arms, if you would like to email me on thestricklandarms@yahoo.co.uk I would like to discuss your visit further.