“Excellent dog friendly country pub”
Review of Strickland Arms

Strickland Arms
Ranked #20 of 155 Restaurants in Kendal
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Our first time at the Strickland Arms and we were very pleasantly surprised. Not only was it dog friendly, it even has bags of dog treat for sale on the bar.

The staff were friendly and helpful and the food was excellent and very well presented.

A must if you are in the area and you can catch the castle as well as the entrance is across the road.

There are newer reviews for Strickland Arms

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Found it very hard to grade this because I wanted something between average and very good! The starters we had were very nice and very well presented and the main course was also good although it was a shame that the homemade burger was not accompanied by homemade chips!
The service was also good and all the staff very pleasant but we did experience a couple of issues in that we both ordered meat pie to be told the chef was still cooking this (it was around 1pm so lunch service was well under way) and then our alternative of burgers with cheese and bacon were served without bacon although this was later brought over in a little dish.
All in all it was a nice meal and I would definitely return although it is a little pricey

Reviewed September 20, 2013

Popped in to the Strickland Arms today for lunch as we we're all starving and hankering after a filling hot lunch. Honestly I wasn't expecting much as I'm so often disappointed with pub food, but I'm happy to say I was very pleasantly surprised!

The interior is lovely and the staff were friendly. I ordered the steak, mushroom and ale pie with red wine and ale gravy, chips and veg. My Mum and Aunt both chose the lamb hotpot.

They didn't take too long to arrive and were very very good. The lamb hotpot contained lots of good quality lamb with a lovely gravy, and came with a thick slice of locally made bread which both ladies absolutely loved. I know this because they told me a dozen times how good it was lol.

My steak pie had a generous amount of great quality steak, the most delicious gravy I've had in ages and the best chips I've ever had in a pub. I could write a review on how wonderful they were in they're own right! I mean seriously, how many chefs seem incapable of doing decent thick cut chips nowadays?
My only complaint would be that as it was served on a large plate it went cold quickly, perhaps serving the pie in a little dish would solve that.

We were too full for pudding so no review of that, but I loved it and would 100% visit again. I can only imagine how much more welcome that pie would be on a freezing day in Winter :-)

1  Thank IndigoBeau
Reviewed September 5, 2013

lovely restaurant/pub selling real ales, food great , piping hot and large portions
children and dogs welcome
only disappointment was the panacotta, solid like jelly rather than soft and creamy, didnt taste great either
service efficient, bar staff friendly
cant book but start serving food at 6pm

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had quite a good meal here but my husband was shocked by the £2.95 price for a small bottle of non alcoholic beer! (We later found the same beer at another local pub, The Punch Bowl, and it was just £2.) The waitress was a little miserable at times.