“Non alcoholic beer a bit pricey!”
Review of Strickland Arms

Strickland Arms
Ranked #37 of 159 Restaurants in Kendal
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had quite a good meal here but my husband was shocked by the £2.95 price for a small bottle of non alcoholic beer! (We later found the same beer at another local pub, The Punch Bowl, and it was just £2.) The waitress was a little miserable at times.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Location just at the entrance of Sizergh Castle you would understand why its a tourist trap and fleecing customers for their location.

We wanted some lunch after leaving Sizergh Castle and as it was such a lovely day weather wise we opted to stop here as they have a nice garden and the location was perfect.

Firstly the bar staff could be a bit more friendly, helpful and crack a smile once in a while. It really wouldn't harm them honestly. There was a long queue at the bar as they only have 1 member of staff on although on my second visit there was then 2 people at the bar but as more people were waiting to be served it took just as long.

My beef with this place is that £5.95 for a ham roll with a poxy bit of salad on the side is a rip off. it was a very nice roll but it was not worth the money. We ordered a side of chips to share which I wouldn't bother sharing as they were just as stingy at £1.95 a bowl. Its not a bowl, its a saucer of chips. With the very minuscule portion of chips then if they had of included these with the roll then they wouldn't have appear to be fleecing the tourists and would have been an adequate price to pay.

I wouldn't visit here again and I wouldn't recommend it either. There are far better places within the Lake District that doesn't fleece tourists or locals and where the portions aren't stingy and staff are able to smile.

1  Thank Littlemurf
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We called at the Strickland Arms for a snack lunch on 19 August, having visited nearby Levens Hall. We were pleasantly surprised by the nice ambiance, efficient service and good reasonably priced food. For example, a very good Welsh Rarebit serves with well-dressed salad for £5.95. Good range of well-kept beers. We only had starters so can't say what the full meal experience would be, but should be good on this showing.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

stopped in for lunch - had the soup and sandwich combo which i must say is excellent value.

and also must say, its a pub, not really a restaurant, and almost without exception, pubs in the lake district accept dogs, as this is a major walking destination. the owner is so accommodating. Had it been me, we would have quietly asked to be moved.

1  Thank Sue H
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I was both annoyed and angry to find that the restaurant allowed 2 huge dogs to be brought in to the restaurant and sit with its owners while they had a meal. Not once were we asked if this would be ok.
I can understand people wishing to go out with their dogs and maybe eat outside as it was a nice evening, but I do not expect to share my night out supposedly having a nice meal with our family and having to watch, listen and feeling uncomfortable with two huge dogs close by. For one, I am not sure on the hygiene aspect of them being there, and two our daughter who though not terrified of dogs isn’t happy when they are that close. Needless to say we ate our food and left and won’t be going back.

3  Thank kathryn11